Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Click here to make a donation to the Slant Six Forum!

Bathroom smells only at night.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Social Corner
Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  
emsvitil
Supercharged

Post subject: Bathroom smells only at night....... (Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:03 pm) Reply with quote

Can't figure this out (the only at night part)

Finally decided to fix the wobbly toilet (and the prompt wasn't the toilet, but clogged drains and the toilet was better access)

Floor rotten around toilet

If you have to see: https://goo.gl/photos/udXmvfszADCPoPEi6

The rot doesn't seem to go as far as the walls or adjacent cabinet, and looks fixable.....

I've sprayed it with bleach a few times.

I leave the window cracked open, and shut the door.

What I can't figure out is that there's a smell (rotten,crawlspace) only at night.

During the day, maybe a hint of old wood, but at night............

Why does it only smell at night?

Reed
Supercharged

Post subject: (Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:10 pm) Reply with quote

The dead come out at night......

Are you sewer or septic? You do have rags or something plugging the pipe to prevent sewer gas from coming up right? If you don't have the pipe plugged, more people are home to flush the toilet in residential areas at night so you might be getting increased flow through the main which causes sewer gas to back up your side extension pipe and into your house. Seriously, cap that thing while you get the floor patched. That is my guess.

emsvitil
Supercharged

Post subject: (Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:48 pm) Reply with quote

Sewer

It's just me.

Doesn't smell like sewer, and it's the upstream toilet. Only kitchen is farther upstream.

So any smells should be vented before it gets that far.....

But I'll cap it and see what happens.

DadTruck
Turbo EFI

Post subject: (Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:57 pm) Reply with quote

Quote:
there's a smell

probably some ford parts flushed down the toilet
if there were people exposed to chevy parts then they used the toilet, the whole
thing would have turned into a sinkhole

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/12/corvette-museum-sinkhole/5417171/

also see

http://mashable.com/2017/07/21/ford-new-car-smell-china/#WatJaYmy25qx

emsvitil
Supercharged

Post subject: (Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:49 pm) Reply with quote

Plugging the hole didn't make a difference.

But smell is decreasing, probably due to bleaching.

Smell was probably rot and/or mold

For whatever reason, I think the air flow goes down during the day (taking smells with it).

At night there is either airflow coming up or no air flow so you smell the smell.......

emsvitil
Supercharged

Post subject: (Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:55 pm) Reply with quote

I think I figured out the root cause.

Floor joists are 2x10 (actual 2x10, not the 1.5x9.25 you get now).

The joist in front of the toilet is notched to about a 2x3 for the down pipe. Then there's a sister joist of 2x6.

So it's weaker than it should be. So eventually it sags, then leaks, then wet and rot makes it weaker, more sag.........

BTW, house was built in 40s.....

wvenable
Poser

Post subject: (Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:25 pm) Reply with quote

damn..... old houses. Cool, fun,.........pain in the arse. It is all about your outlook on life. I have done the 40's house thing. Slaved me arse off for the ex. I would rather live out of the back of the truck Mater sold me!

slantzilla
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Post subject: (Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:37 pm) Reply with quote

wvenable wrote:
damn..... old houses. Cool, fun,.........pain in the arse. It is all about your outlook on life. I have done the 40's house thing. Slaved me arse off for the ex. I would rather live out of the back of the truck Mater sold me!

I'm surprised you don't already. Laughing

Ceej
Site Admin

Post subject: (Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:26 pm) Reply with quote

Gads. My house built in 1900 doesn't sag or stink....

Course they didn't bend the house around the plumbing....

CJ

N7SNW
wjajr
Supercharged

Post subject: (Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:30 am) Reply with quote

I grew up in a house built in 1832, sometime around turn of century (1900) a cesspool and water closet was installed. Bath room never stunk, only back yard in spring, or after company visiting, and grass always grew greener over it...

Since I've owned houses built in 1900, 1978, 1910, 1912, 1996, and this one we currently occupy 2009. Generally bathroom only stinks briefly after breakfast coffee, but I don't think this is due to a plumbing or structural problem. LOL

If you are smelling sewer gas then a trap is dry for whatever reason one could be a plugged vent that when water closet is flushed a vacuum from plugged vent pulls water from basin trap, or there may be a bad lead joint or crack in house sewer line in the wall allowing gas to seep into bath room.

A house constructed in 1940 could easily have eroded, and or corroded, and or bad lead joints in any of the cast iron drainage pipe. Where water closet is moving chances are the bend or y it empties into could have a compromised joint allowing sewer gas infiltration into dwelling.

Sounds like it's time for some structural repairs, sub-floor rebuilding, and replacing of cast iron with PVC to foundation wall or floor where it exits the basement.

SpaceFrank
Turbo Slant 6

Post subject: (Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:52 am) Reply with quote

A good buddy of mine bought a post-and-beam house last year that was built in the 1930s, and then subsequently moved to it's current location in the '50s. The knob and tube wiring was to be expected, as was the galvanized plumbing pipe (added later... much worse than the original cast iron). What wasn't expected was the truly heinous "repair" done to the bathroom floor.

At some point in the past, a previous owner noticed that the bathroom subfloor was rotten, as were the tops of the 2x10 floor joists. Rather than fixing it correctly and sistering in some new joists, this person shaved down the joists to about 2x6, added decking between them, and proceeded to float 4 inches of concrete on top. This of course caused the entire bathroom to sink over the ensuing years, both from the weight and the effect of the huge porous sponge under the bathroom floor continuing to rot what was left of the floor joists.

After jackhammering all the concrete out, we re-leveled the (thankfully cypress) support beam on that side of the house with four 12-ton bottle jacks and pressure treated plywood shims on the cinderblock posts. (Added termite barriers while we were at it.) Then we sistered in 3 new floor joists all the way to the center beam, which was a huge pain requiring even more jacking, hammering, and gnashing of teeth.

The whole house still slants downhill a little bit since we didn't have the patience to level the whole house, but at least it's more or less straight now. You could also set off a bomb in that bathroom; it's the sturdiest part of the house now.

wvenable
Poser

Post subject: (Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:24 pm) Reply with quote

slantzilla wrote:
wvenable wrote:

I'm surprised you don't already. Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKg3CN0dDnQ

Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Social Corner All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: