Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Interesting....
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:24 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Good to know Reed, I will check them when I get a chance, everything was torqued to spec, and the caliper to knuckle bolts were pretty high yield, the bolts for the caliper retainers are brand new, and were torqued to spec, but they just hold the metal retainers and aren't under load....

Post subject: Edelbrock 600 to 500...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
You need boosters for a 500 cfm carb to convert it. Install the base primary jets and rods per the 500 cfm. Use the stiffest springs you have to tip enrichment in as soon as possible with the needles.
Base jetting for both primary and secondary should do the trick.
You will see the booster occludes the primary venturi more than the ones for the 600. The secondary is identical. To lock out the secondary, pull the pin out of the linkage to the secondary. All done!

This can be done without dumping gas out of the carburetor. There are no gaskets below the float level. No leaks. :D

CJ

Post subject: Jeez...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:43 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I think the car loves me... last night it died 1/2 mile from home...had to get a tow... Post mortem indicated the fuel pump wasn't pumping any fuel and the holley chugged along until the fuel bowls were empty....

Checked it again after work today and cranking the starter with the hose in the bowl, it only produced a small gleek of fuel an inch from the end of the hose into the catch can every other rotation... figure that it's a chinese knock off in a domestic box... into the scrap bin it went... only replacement in stock in town was an Airtex unit... (and oddly the store had the wrong number in their data base.. it was off by 1 number...)... $19.99 later... I got back home pulled the pump, installed the new one... rolled it over hose pointed in the catch can... nice 3" long 'glug' into the can with every rotation...In fact it was so positive, I had to replace the pinch type hose clamp at the carb with a screw type one as the pressure was overcoming the pinch clamp and bypassing the edge of the carb nipple...

:shock:

Should run OK now...LOL...

The last run I had changed to the Purple secondary spring, and it was so-so... I think for mileage and street use I'm going to back to the plain spring...

I also notice that the stack and carb are getting a fair amount of heat, I have put a 1/4" resin impregnated carb gasket but it still get a bit hot... I'm going to see if I can find a 3/8" phenolic and see if that improves things...

Post subject: Hmmm...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:03 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
If I can throw this pig at 17 seconds... that will calc to a 150 hp of mill... should make for an interesting weekend....I gauged it at closer to 160, but have dialed for torque since it's a mileage build with a heavy car.

For those lurking looking at the power to weight ratio... mopar's intent on the 1968 Charger R/T was 10 lbs of car for every cube with the 440... the 1970 Barracuda with a 318, auto, and moderate street package with no driver weighed in around 3700-3800 lbs... this car and me after I dump the tool box and spare will be about 3700 lbs...

Ceej, do you have a part number for the primary boosters, nothing on Summit like the Holley parts... Edelbrock catalog just says it's #40 on the AFB exploded parts list but no part number to order one over the counter...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
As they aren't a normal wear item, it's not surprising that they aren't listed in the parts listings.

You could always contact Edelbrock and tell them you need a set of boosters for your 500 cfm AFB. See if they can help you.

CJ

Post subject: Hmmm...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:11 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Had a good weekend. More will be posted later about the Slant 6 Race and Inliner's bracket at Woodburn this weekend.

Depending on atmosphere, temps, etc... the Car ran a typical 1/4 in the 18.2 to 18.3 sec range. With a best of 18.092 at 75.38. Car drove perfectly on the highway, and fired up everytime I turned the key...

Some thoughts that will help others:

1) The car is a pig... even with 3.21's getting 3750 lbs of car and driver off the line and down the track with the go pedal pegged and the transmission doing the shifting... it could have used a better set of rear gears... This transmission and convertor have to come out anyway, a proper rebuild and a quality convertor may help things out a bit... I was a bit annoyed that the 904 shifted to 3rd at about 65 mph only to have the finish line and speed trap come up a second or two after the shift...(It's like trying to shift into OD with the A833OD even with 4.56's it just happens to late to make it worthwhile.

2) Even with the sure grip 8 1/4" rear launches would hook up but throwing the weight just was not there off the line...(Fine for getting out of the way of a semi... just not enough to keep up with Steve McQueen). The car really would pull up to about 45-50, then it just wanted to run...but y that time I was past the 1/8th and it jut wasn't enough to make any difference to the overall time.

3) That being said, 3.21's and the 205/70R14 tires really get annoying driving along the highway at 2800-3000 rpm... I really wanted a .73 OD gear to drop that to about 2500 rpm... all weekend I used about a 1/4 tank of gas.. will have to fill up and see how I really faired...

Just for guesstimates we ran the numbers on a HP calc and the best was 124 HP... given the 904 and 8 1/4" to deal with it's probably close to 140-150 at the crank, which met my target for the build.

Over the winter the 3 last major items to correct will be, leaf springs, transmission, have rear axle bearings redone and check the sure grip unit.

Now I can get back to finishing the FatPak Duster clutch conversion, and maybe get that on the street for R&D next... and see if it holds up to racing... Next year I want to get my test stand in order and start on the EFI Hpak Long Rod Roller Cam engine I've got all the pieces for...

Post subject: Hmmmm....
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:19 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Phone call placed to Edelbrock noted that they send all their cores to one place for reconditioning, and I would need to call them to see if they have any spare boosters for sale...

The Carburetor Shop
Minnesota
651-770-3505

The answering machine says the are closed until the 22nd... so I'll update next week.

FYI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:34 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
What about these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARTER-EDELBROC ... XQ0pNRxSbb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARTER-EDELBROC ... Sw32lY2TNe

Would either of those help?

Post subject: Yeah...but no...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:53 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I've thought about them, but honestly, I'd like ti use an OEM part first before resorting to that. That way if there are any issues, then I can back track it.

I wish the double bullseye style of booster from the TQ could be installed, I could scavenge them from one on the shelf... and be a little more responsive...

More later when I hear from the carb shop...