Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:40 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Wow. Thanks for the heads up. Keep us informed. It seems there is a fine line between making it water proof and sealing up so well condensation gets trapped and you are back in trouble again.
Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:43 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thats why I mounted mine inside my car, it fit nicely inside my glove box it didn't look like it would hold up in the weather up here in the northeast

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:57 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Greg Ondayko wrote:
Hello Folks,

just a quick update.. About 3 weeks ago It was very Rainy around these parts.. And I drove from work to the bank to ca$h a check. I noticed the car was running very rich and very rough...

After I come out of the bank I cannot start the car.. - Thought I might have flooded it etc..

kept trying and it just would not start... So I had welding Class that Night.. Could not wait around... Walked 4 Miles Home in the rain.. got my welding gear and my truck and went to class..

I stopped back Later that Night with a new coil and tools... - I disconnected the Power to the injectors and Still nothing(to Prevent Flooding) - Swapped to a known Good coil - still nothing..

had to get it towed..

First Time in 16 years of driving I have ever had anything towed :-(

Got It home and Finally came to the realization that the relay bord was not as weather proof as Diyautotune might have you believe it to be.

All the Connectros and relays etc were good but the PCB had issues... So a new one was ordered..

I may need to relocate it under the Hood and I am going to put a top on it - Working on that when I return from the Banquet.. Car is up and running again.. (remember this is my daily driver) It has over 206,000 Miles on it and Probably 30,000 Miles / 4.5 Years on Megasquirt..

New Relay board is installed and No problems yet.. Daily transportation again working. Still Need to make that cover for it.

Greg

I got a New Relay board installed quite a while back.. i thought It was going bad again.. but this time It was actually A Bad Bad Spark plug wire grounding against the Inner Wheel Well.

When I installed the second relay board I sprayed a Liberal amount of Conformal coating on both sides of the PCB before installing.. so that Should Help alot in weatherproofing it from the Harsh Salty environment that I drive in sometimes.

I also did quite a bit of re-tuning on my .msq File for this car.

I started out with a REQ_FUEL value of 11.4.. I has been that way since 2008 or so when I did the original install.. but after watching these videos I had a greater awareness and sensibility on how to use tunerstudio to get the results that I desired... Better MPG, Better Cranking to run transition( there was too much Cranking Pulse) and Enrichment values etc..

So instead of Tuning My cells in the fuel map - those were fairly good in my opinion.. I just leaned out the REQ fuel# by 0.1 increments until I settled in on 10.6.. This would in essence Lean the Entire Fuel map... not just a cell or 2.. It has been Joyful.

I just Completed a Round trip to The Slant 6 banquet in Pigeon Forge TN from Pittsburgh in the Beige Beast.. By My GPS Mileage and Tank Fill ups.. Different Pumps along the trip of course.. I got a Best of 28 MPG, and a worst of 16.7 MPG.. for an average of 21.5 MPG for my 1000 Mile Trip and MPG Test.

Fill Up#1 17.78MPG Combined Suburban / Highway
Fill Up#2 22.44MPG Mostly Highway with mountains and a few Traffic Lights
Fill Up#3 23.3MPG Mostly Descending Highway Elevation with a Few Suburban Traffic Lights
Fill Up #4 20.73MPG All Highway Ascending Elevation and Above 75MPH
Fill Up #5 28.0MPG Lights and slower Mountain Driving Due to Ice and poor Road conditions.
Fill Up #6 16.73MPG Highway Driving Mostly Above 75MPH and 2 Days of Normal Commuting At home.

The Highway#'s are above 20 and that includes some steep mountain grades in this trip..

The Flat highway driving from WV to Tennessee (downhill) in elevation mostly is 23.3 at about 75+ MPH in overdrive with a 3.21 Rear Axle Ratio.

Long Live Megasquirt and the ability to tune it yourself.

Greg

Last edited by Greg Ondayko on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:11 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Those are some impressive results! Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:46 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update on the car and megasquirt..
I did the original install in 2008 and this is my daily commuter car to work etc.

It gets driven in the rain, sun, salt etc.

Tuesday I drove it to work, went out to drive home tues. evening and it would crank but not fire.. cold efi cars with all the enrichment built inti the map tend to flood easily.. so thats what happned.

I dragged the car home, replced the coil, plugs and fuel pump.. all things i felt needed done anyway on a 229,000 daily driver.

Relpacing all of those components did not get the car running correctly or easily.

So i pulled the distrubitor.
The dist. Is a very old 1960-1963 unit that had a pertronix unit installed in place of the points.
The dist. was conveted to trigger an efi setup by rich nedbal at mopar engines west. I bought it with other efi slant stuff in a bulk buy years ago.

I had always suspected that the dist. Rotor tip to trigger relationship was out of phase on this unit.. and it was.

The reason i had to pull the dist ened up being a 50+ year old chrysler nylon gear that had lost teeth.

So i decided to fix the phase issues.

I did this by cutting a big window into an old spare cap.
I windowed around the #1 terminal post as much as possible.
I found that the old advance plate that the vacuum pod used to pull on was waaay too advanced for my application.

I retarded the plate and put a few small welds on it to lock it dow.
I reset the airgap on the pertronix unit and also installed a new dorman nylon gear.
I redrilled the holes in the gear as it would have been on the original chrysler part as well as shim the end play of the shaft to a minimial amount of up and down movement.

The windowed dist cap is also helpful in finding the correct timing on the slant when you stab the dist. back in the car.

The car fired up on the 2nd crank! And once i got the timing and trigger offset dialed in it was running super smooth!

Too bad i had to have the car quit on me to endeavor to correct this problem.
Hopefully i will have the car running with megasquirt for another 10 years.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:34 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Very nice work and nice report, Greg. Glad the Slanted car and MS-EFI have been serving you well, and now will be even better...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:34 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Greg,

I just read this entire thread at work, and all I can say is WOW. I'm glad to see/witness a success story with MS on a slant. Especially so close to me (located in SoMD). I'm hopeful that in the coming months I'll be able to finally here my 63 Dart 170 running with MS3X. I'm planning on using most of the information you've provided along with Matt (who has helped me in the past with understanding MS) to get my /6. Thank you so much for sharing all of the story with us here. Hopefully when I get my car running I can join you on that 1000 mile trip to the slant Banquet.

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:03 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Jay, why not try and make it up to the Slant 6 race in May at Hagerstown and you can meet these folks in person! Consider this your personal invite. :lol:

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:56 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Sounds good Jay.. thats what its all about.

Lou has 2 mesquirted slants with way more miles on them etc,

If yoy come to the mason dixon race in may to race or specate /bench race than you might just see at least 2 megasquirted cars in person..

Hint... one runs 11's.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:23 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
One of my MS cars will be there, and with some luck running 12s, or at least low 13s.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:30 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Greg,
I am in the planning stages of a ms2 install in an 85 Dodge pickup. Thanks for all your info over the years. After reading about your troubles with the relay board I am wondering if I ought to go ahead and mount it in the cab along with the ms2 box. It will make the wires a bit harder to run but it ought to eliminate future moisture problems. I would rather just do this once. What do you think?
Bob Pekny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:53 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
No reason not to put the relay board inside the passenger compartment as long as you can find a space to put it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:48 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
If its going to be a fair weather truck... sunny days, car shows etc.

Underhood will be fine.

The second time around i did coat the board with conformal spray coating.. it has been fine since.

Of course this was my daily driver from 2008 until a month ago.

If you plan on using it like a real car then find an interior or wrathertite soultion.

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:50 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
8/21/22:

I Have Not Driven this car very much in the last year, as I had the Entire Dash and Interior Apart due to a leaking heater core. I finally got all of that fixed and reinstalled back in June - New Heater core made up by the Local Radiator shop that Builds bespoke Heater cores, Radiators and Gas Tanks.

I have been sparsely Driving the car off and on for a month or so, and I Decided to Upgrade the Firmware on the MS II. It was Running the V2.878 Embedded Code by Bowling& Grippo from back when I bought and installed the MS II in the car in July of '08.

I installed the latest firmware (8/2022) MS2/Extra 3.4.4.

It has a lot of enhancements and capability upgrades from the B&G code from 2008, Including 16x16 Fuel tables, Boost Control, Launch Control, And most useful for me Closed Loop Idle Control... whoo hoo.

I will be installing the parts to use the A/C idle Pickup feature as well for when I switch the A/C Compressor on, Just like the old Carb Dashpots and Idle Kicks used to do on the carburetor.

The Firmware install is fairly Straightforward, However once The new Firmware was loaded, I had to reset all of the Temp Sender Values, the Spork output, and Retune / Adjust the Idle Valve step number scheme. - It was backwards from what I used before in this new code.

It took me an hour to figure out the settings for the above items after updating the firmware.. I knew it was crazy then the temperature fluctuated from -40* f to +700*F in a second or 2 with the engine not running or cranking. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Documented and checked a few of the settings...
Old Menus To Check My settings in the new firmware - Old Menu arrangement is reminiscent of Megatune....

After I sorted all of that, the car cranked and started, although the idle vale has hanging full open. - Got that sorted out too.

I exported my AFR, VE, and IGN Advance Tables.. The Firmware upgrade interpolated my old tables but they were a bit off, especially when going from 12X12 VE to 16x16VE.

I imported my Tables and Sorted out the 16X16 VE map and it's like I upgraded to MS3 or MS3 Pro..... I will never need all of the features of the MS3 on this install so the firmware upgrade was well worth the hassle to me.

Orignial IAC Map:
Imagekr

It had the car Idling at 2700 Rpm - Cause this Code uses 0 at fully closed, or at least the way I set/figured it out it the idle parameters.

So I flipped the table/ graph... Took all of the values and subtracted 255 from them.
After that table values inversion, the car began to Idle Normal after startup, then the real tuning began, and is still going on.

Even though this is a batch fire setup, It is idling like a 96- newer car even with the A/C on - More Idle tuning to be had on those cold mornings, hot restarts and drive to and from work. :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:17 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Accel Enrichment Algorithm was also Much improved!

Finally got rid of that Accel stumble / flat spot, Used the same old settings that were imported from my pre firmware upgrade, and Just edited a few bins as well as clicked a slider around until it felt like a good carbby pump shot!

WHOO HOO! :D :D