Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Clutch size?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:26 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I have a 1981 dodge D1-150 Slant six 4-speed short bed stepside. I recently witnessed #1 cylinder leave the block and had to do an engine replacement. Swapped to an older 1978 L6 with solid lifter cam setup, added the super six parts i had lying around and am very happy with the results, except it now is very noisy when i push in the clutch peddle. My mechanic who works on my other cars and has a lift, said he though it may have put in clutch disk wrong way, but I'm sure i put it in as it said as it was marked. Either way we want to pull the trans this weekend or one soon and he told me to get a kit. I don't know which size the clutch is and is there a easy way to tell while it is still in the vehicle? books say it could be a 9" or a 10" or a 10.5" or it could be an 11" ?? Want to order the correct stuff. it looks like this is not the original clutch cover as it appears to be orange or red? What do i need to measure or part number in what location do i need to check? Also it appeared that after i reinstalled new (previously Automatic engine i Installed the newer pilot bushing in) that the flywheel was hitting the clutch inspection plate on the inside? Is there a spacer missing or something else to look into??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:44 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Do you have the a833od trans or the NP435 granny gear trans?

1985 D250 360 46RH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:23 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Not sure it is a 4 speed, well 3 speed with OD...

Post subject: Starter position...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:52 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
If the starter is mounted up toward the fire wall, you need a 10" clutch and have the A-833OD (also shifter is mounted to the side of the tailshaft of the transmission)... if the starter is toward the ground near the oil pan you have the 11" clutch and NP435 style transmission (top loader style of shifter)...

If the clutch disk was put in backwards the clutch will not function at all and the engine will act as though it's locked to the transmission...

If it's an 11" clutch you can also use the big block clutches for the 383/400/440... so if the clutch cover is red, then you may have an aftermarket big block clutch from Ram or another company... if it's a diaphragm style of clutch make sure that your clutch pedal no longer has a spring on it other wise the throw out bearing will ride on the fingers....

When you installed the new bushing in the crank, if it was an oilite bushing it needed to be soaked in oil before installing... also putting a small (pea sized) spot of grease in the crank pocket before inserting the input shaft of the transmission will keep the nose of the shaft lubricated and from binding on the bushing over the lifetime of the clutch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:12 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I know for sure the starter is on top. Thank you very much I will order tonight!! I am able to drive this truck and it is only noisy when the clutch peddle is depressed, when out it rides and drives fine. not sure i lubed it all well enough before assembly and should have swapped out TO bearing and retainer.. Thank you Will let you know how it goes...[/img]

Post subject: Yep...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:11 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
swapped out TO bearing

This would be a good thing to do if you are pulling it out again... make sure that you get an all metal unit, some of the new clutch kits have plastic TOB's which are not desired.... If buying a new kit try to get a LUK/NAPA setup....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:31 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
the NAPA clutch with a metal throwout bearing housing that I installed in the 83 D150 is the

NAPA NCF1105004