Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Gauge swap 82 D150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:05 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1982 Dodge D150 Slant six 4 speed
I have an 82 D150 and it has the oil light and temp light as an actual light and not a gauge, if I found a new gauge cluster that has actual gauges is it an actual swap out and plug it up and go. If not what is involved to have actual gauges instead of idiot lights?
Thanks
Here is my current gauge cluster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:11 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
The idiot lights and guages used different sending units attached to the oil pump. I believe the wiring harness is the same between the two systems so the instrument cluseter will be a plug-in-and-go, but you need to switch to the correct gauge sending unit and hook the sending unit wire to the new unit. Double check with a wiuring diagram for your truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:33 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I put an '87 gauge cluster in my 83 D150, the 87 cluster gave me: 100 mph speedo with trip odometer, a voltmeter in place of the ampmeter, an oil pressure gauge and light as well as a temp gauge. As mentioned the temp and oil pressure sendors changed, also the ohms empty to full change on the gas level gauge,, the electrical connectors to the gauge cluster also change,,
None of that was too difficult to resolve, I found worth the effort to get the newer cluster.
There may be early 80 gauge cluster that have varable gauges that are direct plug in's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:22 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1982 Dodge D150 Slant six 4 speed
Ok thanks very much guys, dad truck I may be messaging you on what all I will need to convert it like you did on your 83.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:07 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
When you do, send me your email address and I can send to you an excel drawing of the 83 idiot light gauge cluster and the 87 varable gauge cluster that shows the electrical connections that need to change. When you get the 87 style gauge cluster also get the two 1987 gauge cluster wiring harness connectors each with a couple inches of the 1987 wiring harness. There are a few new wires to run, but for the most part you will be splicing your existing harness to the 1987 gauge cluster connectors.