Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Click here to make a donation to the Slant Six Forum!

Salvage Yard shopping list

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Suspension & Brakes
Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrdoming
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Post subject: Salvage Yard shopping list (Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:24 am) Reply with quote

I have a 64 valiant which I am working on and am getting ready to take a trip to a large local salvage yard that has a number of a-bodies and slants so I wanted to put together a bit of a shopping list. I'd like to do a disc break conversion and I believe the suspension could afford some upgrades if that is possible from junk yard parts. I also will likely want to do a LBP swap on the rear to match the front. What pieces should I be looking for?

Also looking for any other suggestions of "good to haves" even if they aren't part of the brake/suspension area.

Joshie225
Supercharged

Post subject: (Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:15 pm) Reply with quote

For a disc brake swap you want everything between the upper control arm mount and the lower control arm to include the upper control arm, spindle, both ball joints, rotor, caliper and hose. You will also want the master cylinder and proportioning valve. The donor for big bolt pattern is any disc brake equipped 1973-1976 A-body. The rear end for big bolt pattern comes from the same donors. If you go from a 7 1/4 axle to 8 1/4 you'll need a shorter driveshaft.

Expect that most all of the components which wear or age will need to be renewed. Ball joints, suspension bushings, calipers, brake hoses, etc.

You can also get most of this new which saves a lot of time. http://www.doctordiff.com/10.95-front-disc-brake-kit.html

Reed
Supercharged

Post subject: (Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:07 pm) Reply with quote

Other nice things to get are:

(1) dual field alternator with solid state voltage regulator

(2) electronic ignition

(3) rear window defog unit (don't forget the wiring and the under-dash switch)

(4) 14 inch (or 15 inch) rims, wider the better (to a point- don't put 12 inch wide rims on the front of your early A body)

(5) good condition exhaust manfiolds are nice to have

DusterIdiot
Board Sponsor

Post subject: Junkyard Snoop N' Poop.... (Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:51 pm) Reply with quote

Just in case you get to search for other than your grocery list:

Per Josh, any Valiant/Duster/Scamp/Dart/Dart Sport for your disc brakes, prop block, etc....

Large bolt pattern rear axle priority is the round 10 bolt rear cover 8 1/4".... if you have a few to chose from you might pop the cover off and look for the ratio stamp on the ring gear... if the highly unlikely event occurs that the car is all original and has a 3 speed manual transmission, it may have the desired 3.21 gear set.... other wise any 2.7X, 2.9X is a good start (shun the 2.56, 2.45 rears... you will pay a lot for a new chunk and gears to refit it.. almost as much as a used 8 3/4" rear)

If it's a 2 door valiant/Dart Sport/Duster, and the 8 1/4" you want that driveline...

If you go with Reed's list you can also pull some of those components out of any Pre-1980 mopar, pull the whole wiring harness and strip the wiring and terminations at home when you have nothing better to do on a rainy day....

Reed's #3 is for any Pre-1976 mopar that has the blower... after that it's a bunch of lines pasted on the window and won't salvage or interchange well..

Reeds #4 Stock rims for LBP vehicle desired... base units and Rallyes are 14"... if you get lucky and find a big car (Coronet, Pre 1979 Chrysler, etc...), and some 70's vans have the 15x6 or 15x7 stock steel rims with the 5 lug on 4.5" bolt pattern... (get 5 matching ones if you can).

Reeds #5 modified also look to see if they have any post 1977 Volares/Aspens/etc... look for any supersix 2 barrel set up... even just the manifolds or kick down levers, etc are worth the pull (unless the yard owner tells you they are worth $500)...

DI#6 See if any have a 1973-1976 Radiator, intact shroud and 5 blade clutch fan.... base HD models had the 19" radiator shroud and fixed fan, 1975-1976 with A/C could have the 22" radiator and clutch fan.

DI#7 If heaven forbid you should find a 1979-1981 St Regis, Monaco (Chrysler R body), you can strip the claws and calipers off it and upgrade to large disc's upfront if you just have to stop on the dime and give 9.99 cents change.... (but you will also have to have 15" rims min. to clear them....)

DI junkyard Targets of opportunity...

Some misc items that if the yard guy prices them 'reasonably' (i.e. not $20 for a turn signal lens).

You might be able to make a few $$$ back to pay for the conversion and help others on the board with knick knacks... late-60's turn signal lenses... reverse light lenses for Pre-1968 A-bodies... fender mounted turn signals.... 1960's horn buttons in good condition (no cracks or bleached plastic) etc....

Super Six Distributors, 1976 '598' distributors, etc....

If the owner is personable, and not gouging you 'because that stuff is gold!'... you might look around while pulling your parts and see what they have, ask what he'd want for some of the random parts you see... then return later if someone here is looking for them, and snag them...

I hope the yard is established and still has a good selection... there's one near my place that has lots of A-bodies, but they are just hulls, all the other parts, glass, etc have long since disappeared.... but the guy says the rocker panels, and other parts are gonna bring some good prices.... he hasn't sold one for 5 years... same cars still sitting there rusting in the NW rainshine....

GTS225
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:08 pm) Reply with quote

If they just happen to have a '55-'60 BMW Isetta 300 setting in a corner, I'd really like to know about it.

Roger

Matt Cramer
Board Sponsor

Post subject: Re: Junkyard Snoop N' Poop.... (Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:52 am) Reply with quote

DusterIdiot wrote:

DI#7 If heaven forbid you should find a 1979-1981 St Regis, Monaco (Chrysler R body), you can strip the claws and calipers off it and upgrade to large disc's upfront if you just have to stop on the dime and give 9.99 cents change.... (but you will also have to have 15" rims min. to clear them....)

'75 and later B bodies (Cordoba, Charger, Magnum, and a couple others) are also good donors for the big discs.

jrdoming
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Post subject: (Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:45 am) Reply with quote

Wow, I got some awesome advice in this thread. I'm hoping this will be a successful trip.

wjajr
Supercharged

Post subject: (Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:08 am) Reply with quote

Strange foreign micro car sightings department:

I once saw a BMW Isetta in the corner of a transmission shop (Hi-Teck Transmission) located at Moores Mills a few miles north of St Stephen, NB. It was there when I had transmission work performed on my Suburban c. 2004... haven't been back since, and don't know if they are still in business.

There is another Isetta just across the St. Croix river in city of Calais, Maine sitting in The Urban Moose gift shop adorned with Moose Antlers and painted in drab moose like color proudly displayed on platform in center of store: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Urban-Moose-56113558051/photos/?ref=page_internal Scroll down, you can't miss it in photo section.

Matt Cramer
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:20 am) Reply with quote

wjajr wrote:
Strange foreign micro car sightings department:

I once saw a BMW Isetta in the corner of a transmission shop (Hi-Teck Transmission) located at Moores Mills a few miles north of St Stephen, NB. It was there when I had transmission work performed on my Suburban c. 2004... haven't been back since, and don't know if they are still in business.

There is another Isetta just across the St. Croix river in city of Calais, Maine sitting in The Urban Moose gift shop adorned with Moose Antlers and painted in drab moose like color proudly displayed on platform in center of store: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Urban-Moose-56113558051/photos/?ref=page_internal Scroll down, you can't miss it in photo section.

I just had a customer here last week talking about how he'd swapped an NSU rotary engine into a four wheeled Isetta. It's one of the most unexpected engine swaps I've seen, and this is from someone who had another customer who put a Chevy V8 in a VW Golf... driving the rear wheels!

Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Suspension & Brakes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: