Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Click here to make a donation to the Slant Six Forum!

Please allow me to introduce myself
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Slixer's Gallery
Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christer
1 BBL (New)

Post subject: Please allow me to introduce myself (Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:09 pm) Reply with quote

Please allow me to introduce myself. I been lurking Slant Six forum for a couple of years and learned sooo much!
I have been a A-body fan for most of my life. A couple of years ago I realized I got to have one of mothers of all A-bodys. For me it was the two door post 1961 Valiant that pleased me the most. I love the way the posts are leaning forward, it makes the car look like it is going 100 mph standing still! Smile
After searching the net for several years this one turned up. Less than 100 000 km on the odometer, (if I converted right 62 000 miles), and only 4 previous owners.
First owner was an older lady that bought it in Linköping, Sweden. I managed to track down all the previous owners and written a little story about them, but that’s all in Swedish… Sad

Virgil Exner did a great job on this first "Compact Car"!

15 Rallye Wheels with 70 profile tires fills out the wheel arches quite well. The car is lowered about 2 inches. Together with Koni shocks it actually handles a lot better than I anticipated!

A towing hook, (is that proper English?), from a newer Valiant fitted with just minor modifications.

The interior is ok, but have some cracks in the seams. I installed a "Retro Sound" car stereo with adjustable shaft/brackets. Behind the steering wheel are the push buttons for the tranny. Sadly they are black, (really looking for 61 correct white buttons)!

I found a picture of the original speaker grilles, and made simular ones for the rear speakers.

A chromed aftermarket air cleaner for the fourbarrel Edelbrock was, in my mind, out of the question. After searching the internet for inspiration, I came up with a dual snorkel design. Two exhaust pipes were pressed over a cone and voila! Very Happy

And finally, a picture by Photografer Westin, taken at a friday cruise in Stockholm earlier this summer.

Last edited by Christer on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Rob Simmons
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Post subject: (Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:14 pm) Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful car!

Thank you for posting. I share your love for the first A bodies!

Drag Racing
Commentator/
Points Keeper
GreybeardGunner
TBI Slant 6

Post subject: (Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:51 pm) Reply with quote

What a fantastic car!! Well done!! Bra jobbat!

Shawn

Reed
Supercharged

Post subject: (Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:50 pm) Reply with quote

Welcome! Beautiful car!

Zack
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Post subject: (Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 pm) Reply with quote

That's a gorgeous car, interior is much better than "ok"! Looks like it came out of a childrens' book in that color. Congrats on the new ride.

D100></div></span><span class=
64 Convert
Contributor

Post subject: (Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:07 am) Reply with quote

Very nice, and very unique!

Dart270
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Post subject: (Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:28 am) Reply with quote

Very cool! I was in Stockholm a year ago and happened to see a cruise night in mid August. I stopped by a guy who was parked with his 64 Dart hardtop and a couple of friends. We chatted for an hour or so. Nice folks and lots of cool hotrods cruising around.

Lou

Exner Geek
Turbo Slant 6

Post subject: (Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:39 pm) Reply with quote

Your car might be the nicest 61 in the world! Did you have to do a lot of restoration work or was the car this nice when you got it? My first car in 1962 was a 1961 V100 2 door just like yours, but yours looks better than mine did when it was almost new. Thanks for posting this.

Last edited by Exner Geek on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
NCDemon1971
EFI Slant 6

Post subject: (Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:14 pm) Reply with quote

Beautiful car!! Shocked

phogroian
EFI Slant 6

Post subject: (Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:15 pm) Reply with quote

Stunning! I love it.

Christer
1 BBL (New)

Post subject: (Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:07 pm) Reply with quote

Hi you all!
I’m sorry for not answering earlier, but I just had a well needed vacation, (read the comments, but don’t really like to write on a tablet!).
Thank you all for kind comments! Embarassed

GreybeardGunner wrote:
Bra jobbat!

That is perfect Swedish! Shocked Do you got connections to Scandinavia?

Zack wrote:
interior is much better than "ok"

Problem is, according to my upholstery guy, that the dark fabric is so very dry that it cracks just beside the seams. He fixed some seams before the summer, and he didn’t believe it would last to fall. Oh how right he was. He is now searching for original, or very close to, original fabric. Any tips?

Dart270 wrote:
I was in Stockholm a year ago and happened to see a cruise night in mid August

Yes, Sweden and Stockholm has a very good Cruising scene if you pick the right evenings! I also visited the small town of Rättvik and the Classic Car Week this summer. It is just an incredible amount of cars and people there during that week!
https://youtu.be/P1xPvrysHHY

Exner Geek wrote:
Your car might be the nicest 61 in the world!

Hold your horses! Embarassed It is in good condition, but that statement is far too strong!
Quote:
Did you have to do a lot of restoration work or was the car this nice when you got it?

It was definitely in good condition, only four previous owners, but I have to admit I have put a lot of hours into it!

During the winter new upholstery is a priority. So is new chrome for the rear bumper. I bought rechromed front and rear bumper via Ebay. Turned out when I got them, that my car has a Lancer rear bumper. (A little bit fatter!) According to old pictures it has been there since the very first owner, Astrid.
I’m also considering modifying the torque converter. The idling is a bit erratic when in drive. Would like to raise the stall speed a few hundred revs.

PhilippM
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Post subject: (Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:54 pm) Reply with quote

What a beautiful car!
Is the colour Powder Blue?

Greetings from Switzerland
Philipp

all Slant Six exc. the De Soto!
Christer
1 BBL (New)

Post subject: (Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:13 am) Reply with quote

PhilippM wrote:
Is the colour Powder Blue?

No, it is called Valiant Light Blue. I think it also was called Robin Egg Blue on other Mopar models.

Christer
1 BBL (New)

Post subject: (Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:29 am) Reply with quote

I had to try a ¼ wave resonator and it works tremendously well!

When I had a nearby shop build me a new exhaust system to fit my Dutra duals, I was very pleased with the sound both inside the car and outside. Quiet, with just a little more ummpf to it.
EXCEPT between 80 and 90 km/h. (app 50- 55 mph). The drone at that speed was terrible, and I was afraid I would lose all my tooth fillings!

Reading a lot about different ways to go, I stumbled across the ¼ wave resonator and it sounded so intriguing that I just had to try that one! I understood that it is all about letting the soundwave slipping into a pipe, bouncing off at the capped end of the pipe and returning back into the exhaust 180 degrees out of phase to cancel out the disturbing tone.

But it was a lot of variables to find the right length of the pipe to “tune it”. I actually had to spend an evening putting together an Excel-sheet to work my head around it all! Just to, at the end, realizing that it is only three factors to find; engine revs at the drone, number of cylinder igniting per rev and theoretical temperature inside the resonator tube!

At the end I calculated the length of pipe to be 0.91m (2.9855 feet). After having the guys at the exhaust shop giving me a hard time with their cheerful comments, they installed it and I went for a test drive. It was just unbelievable how quiet it was inside the car! Coming back to the guys, bringing the good news, they admitted that back in the old days quite a lot of European cars had a side branch that no one at the time understood the reason for…!

The original theory says that the resonator pipe goes 90 degrees out from the exhaust pipe. But after some reading I found out that a mandrel bent pipe works well. (Otherwise it would have been a real problem finding place for it!

There is no doubt that it is A LOT quieter in the car. 9 decibel lower is a lot! I also experiencing that the sound level is lower at lower speeds/revs, but I didn’t do any initial decibel readings, so I cant validate that.

coconuteater64
Turbo EFI

Post subject: (Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:01 pm) Reply with quote

I will have to say, that is really cool!

Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Slixer's Gallery All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: