Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1777 posts ]  Go to page Previous 168 69 70 71 72119 Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:30 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Added after .org crash

Made the nice trip to Wilkesboro,NC with the wife and Ryan and Whitney and our two granddaughters and or "5th" son Andrew Shank. Its always nice when your family can come along and be part of the fun!

Our new (15 year old) Tahoe towed like a champ and the ice cold air felt nice in the 96 degree temps they had in store for us. At Wilkesboro you always get plenty of runs before the racing even begins. I made some adustments and zeroed in on my setup and didn't make any changes after the racing started. I did find out that the car was just as fast shifting at 6000 RPM's as it was shifting at 6400 RPM's. So no use to shift any higher than needed.

Car ran fine all weekend in the 8.50-8.70 range. I went out in the 1st round on Friday, but had a better day on Saturday. I was getting better reaction times with each run and by the 3rd round I had a .008 light. Knowing I would need another .00X light facing Ron Hamby, I went to stage and when I brought the car up on the convertor it pushed into the lights! Now I know that I am staged to deep and will surely red light. So I tried to delay my launch and ended up with a very slow .450 light! Ron passed me at about half track and thought something had happened to my car. Nothing happened except driver error. Still I was happy to R/U at this race.

If you have never been to a race, give Wilkesboro a try! It is a great place to race.

Rick

Last edited by Rick Covalt on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:32 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Rick Covalt wrote:
Test

You get an A+ on your quiz.

:mrgreen:

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:52 am 

Yes I just typed the post you see above and it disappeared! Not wanting to type it all over I typed "Test" and saved it to see if it worked! Not sure what happened.

Post subject: Fall Mason Dixon 2017
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:28 pm 

Added after .org crash

Car basically was parked all summer and did not go down the track at all until our October races scheduled for the 7th & 8th. I did want to try a couple things on the induction side of things and see if I could run a little faster. I had a 1" open spacer that I wanted to run, but that meant I could not run an air cleaner. There just isn't enough room under the hood of a 65 Valiant. I also had a K&N stub stack that I wanted to try to see if it would aid in air flow.

The day Saturday started off fine but it looked like Sunday would be totally rained out. They allowed us to run both races on Saturday which was very nice, as long as we could get them both in by 5:00PM.

When I am running a race, I do not like to do anything to my car except back it off the trailer and race! That was my plan until right before they called us up to our first time run! I had once again left the ignition switch on and blowed the top right out of the new "Ford" style E coil I had just installed a couple weeks before! :oops: :evil: Luckily the local Speed shop in Hagerstown had one on the shelf and Andrew Shank drove over and picked it up for me. In the mean time Dan Gravatt, Ryan & I tie wrapped a standard coil to the inner fender and borrowed a correct coil wire from Tom Kagarise and went up to my 1st time run. I can's remember exactly what it ran but it was in the 13.9-14.0 range. Definitely off its best run of 13.40. But Andrew returned with the new coil and I had it ready for our second time run, thanks to all the help of my Slanted friends.

I made it through the 1st two rounds and had a bye in the 3rd. So I thought I would simply remove the K&N stub stack and see what it would do. I went out and it ran a 13.53 @ 95 MPH. With no other changes than removing the stub stack I picked up .35 seconds. So I changed my dial-in to 13.50 for the final and I was able to beat Derrick Sword with just a bit better light. This was the first win for me at my home track!

The big change in the ET, after removing the stub stack, gave way to the following thoughts. The stub stack may be too close to the hood and starving it for air. Also if you look at a stub stack, it actually puts a wall around the secondaries and this would also seem to restrict airflow into the secondaries from anywhere except straight down. I also wondered if not having an air cleaner to "baffle" the air caused some problems when a car is going near 100MPH.There would be a lot of turbulence under the hood at those speeds. Anyway, the stub stack will be gone in the future.

Next year i would like to try a little more carburetion and see how that works!

Rick

Last edited by Rick Covalt on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:42 pm 

After talking to some hardcore racers I decided that it was worth a try to go to a little bigger carburetor. I know all the calculators say not, but real world ET's trump calculators in my book every time. I figured I would stay with what I know and get a 750 edelbrock and try that. Indeed I came to find out this week that my boys were going to go together and get me a new Carburetor for Christmas. That was very nice! But as nice as that was, I won't be needing it. That is because this is setting in my garage on my back up motor! :D :D New Webers!!
Attachment:
webers.jpg
webers.jpg [ 74.63 KiB | Viewed 3830 times ]

After Ryan and I get his new engine running in Seymour's old car, I will start the install on the webers! Guess I will have to learn how to tune something new after all!

Rick

Attachments:
webers.jpg
webers.jpg [ 74.63 KiB | Viewed 4115 times ]

Last edited by Rick Covalt on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:18 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Sounds great, Rick. I look forward to see your results with the Webers. I need to work on Project V to try to catch up to you!

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:45 pm 
SSRN National Champion

Car Model:
Good looking setup indeed. I bet you see a real performance improvement with them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:56 pm 

I'll need to see what setup Seymour/Ryan's car has. That should put me in the ballpark for tuning! Yes I will be excited to see it run! I always loved the way they looked and have always heard that they were the best carbureted setup available! :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:18 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
The only thing I can tell you about Webers is they do not like fuel pressure. They need 2 to 3 psi. Any more and you will be forever chasing a pig rich condition.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:12 pm 

Quote:
They need 2 to 3 psi

Yes that is what I have heard as well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:53 pm 

Gathering info on a fuel system for the Webers. Right now I am running a stock fuel pump with downstream filter. I will probably go ahead and switch to an electric fuel pump setup and would appreciate any insight you may have. It looks like some people are running the Carter rotary vane pumps P4070 for higher volume lower pressures. They are still 4-6# so I would need to install a pressure regulator to cut the pressure to 2.5-3#.

1) Are any of you familiar with this pump and is it a decent pump?
2) If I mount the pump at the rear should it have a filter before the pump? Or after?
3) Would the larger canister type filter be better than the smaller in line filters.
4) Any type pressure regulator better than another?

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:43 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
I had one of those pumps on a 74 Roadrunner with a 383. I like to run a filter before any electric pump just to keep the pump clean. Should always run an electric pump at the back as they push fuel way better than they draw fuel.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:55 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Any filter before a pump should be either the sock type or one for a gravity fed carb.

Otherwise you may not get enough fuel flow (or none).

8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:59 am 

Quote:
Any filter before a pump should be either the sock type or one for a gravity fed carb.

Are you saying a large canister type filter should not be used before the pump?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:24 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
I know of numerous cars running a large (Fram) canister fuel filter between the tank and their electric fuel pump. I put one on a 69 Charger. Big block car and definitely not starved for fuel.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1777 posts ]  Go to page Previous 168 69 70 71 72119 Next