Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Click here to make a donation to the Slant Six Forum!

904 Transmission won't downshift on WOT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Transmission & Rearend
Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkotis
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Post subject: 904 Transmission won't downshift on WOT (Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:32 am) Reply with quote

I just had the torque converter replaced on my 1986 Dodge D150 904 transmission by an independent auto repair shop. The transmission shifts smoothly in normal driving, but at slow speed, when I give it wide open throttle it does not down shift to either first or second gear. It just slowly accelerates. I think the downshift lever must not be adjusted properly. The downshift lever is attached to the transmission and does move when the throttle is opened fully. How do I adjust the downshift lever at the transmission to get the transmission to downshift? Is there anything else that could be preventing downshifts on WOT? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reed
Supercharged

Post subject: (Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:09 pm) Reply with quote

With the engine off, put something on the accelerator pedal to hold it to the floor. At the carb, verify tha the throttle butterlfy is being held wide open. At the transmisison, loosen the bolt on the fitting on the end of the kickdown arm so it slides freely on the kickdown linkage rod. Press the transmission lever arm all the way to the rear of the vehicle and tighten the bolt back up. Test drive and report back.

jkotis
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Post subject: (Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:36 am) Reply with quote

The carburetor throttle cable was not adjusted properly and was not WOT. I adjusted the throttle cable and then the downshift lever position on the transmission. The downshift works now. It seems like if you push the accelerator pedal down less than WOT, it shifts from third to second gear. If you go to WOT, it shifts from third gear to first gear.

Reed
Supercharged

Post subject: (Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:40 am) Reply with quote

Then it sounds like you have the later "part throttle kickdown" installed on your car. This is a good thing. Originally, the transmission only "kicked down" into a lower gear if the pedal was pushed to the floor. Beginning in the early 70s, Chrysler added "part throttle kickdown" that let the trnasmission kick down at 1/2-3/4 throttle instead of 3/4 to full throttle. This is a more efficient way to operate the transmission.

It sounds like your transmission is operating correctly.

Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Transmission & Rearend All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: