Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Click here to make a donation to the Slant Six Forum!

Rain water in flood board

Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldtimer5151
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Post subject: Rain water in flood board (Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:05 pm) Reply with quote

I think that the front cowl-windshield wipers are located-are filled with water and leaking on both sides of floor board. Where does the cowl area get rid of that water? I think that the holes are stopped up. Any ideas?

'67 Dart 270
Turbo EFI

Post subject: drain holes (Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:13 pm) Reply with quote

There are drain holes on both sides inside of the cowl (mine is a '67 dart). They are small holes and can plug with leaves or pine needles/debris. I removed my under dash vent housings and reached up through the hole to clean the heavy stuff out, worked the hose up through there and rinsed, sprayed, dug with a stick until I got all of it out and the drains were running clean. Maybe there's an easier way. Older cars had oval plugs in access holes to this area on the firewall side, just under the hood.

brian
Reed
Supercharged

Post subject: (Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:53 pm) Reply with quote

On the pre-67 A bodies there are small access plugs on the firewall. But do yourself a favor right now and pull the fenders. Once the fenders are off you will see the small drain holes on either side of the cowl. Now remove the front seats and the carpet. Remove the fresh air vent boxes and doors under the dash. Get on your back and look up at the bottom of the cowl. You should see two large holes where the fresh air comes from. If you are lucky the lip on the holes will not have rusted out letting water leak in. If you are unlucky (or, given how often that lip has rusted away, of average luck) you will discover that the cowl drain holes plugged years ago letting water collect and sit in the cowl area causing the lip on the fresh air opening to rust out and creating a leak.

While you are contemplating how to repair the rusted out cowl, inspect the windshield wiper linkage. There are gaskets where the wiper pivots pass through the cowl that dry out and leak. See if those need replacing while you are under there.

Sorry to say it, but this is one of the weak points of A body design. If I was ever to own another A body, the first thing I would do is repair the rustout and cut the holes on the sides of the cowl much bigger.

oldtimer5151
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Post subject: Water in floor boar (Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:59 pm) Reply with quote

I have 2 rubber large plugs on my fire wall. Maybe the drain holes can be cleaned after I can see them. Thanks!!

Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: