Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: HEI conversion
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:52 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1968 Plymouth Barracuda slant 6 super six 4 speed.
Hey guys, just did an HEI conversion (standard bluestreak ignition module LX-301 and standard blueastreak igntion coil FD478) on my slant 6 68 barracuda, I seem to have a weak spark after I've used a spark plug tester (weak orange spark) but a strong orange spark coming from coil. Do you guys recommend any type of spark plugs wires, I am at the moment running new OEM spark plug wires, would that be the problem? or perhaps the contact on the rotor is to far for arc contact? Got good constant 12v going out to my coil from alternator post and a good strong switched 12v. Car seems to run strong for about 5 min, then stumbles and dies. Starts up again, then after a while stumbles and dies. Has really good throttle response. Car has super six and dual dutra duals, if it helps.

Last edited by Magnumforce1987 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: HEI conversion
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:43 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
I'm not a fan of orange sparks. Carbon wires degrade with time and use. Spiral core wires are preferred. What kind of heat sink and heat-transfer compound did you use?

What was the previous ignition system and how did the car run before you did the HEI installation?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:50 am 
3 Deuce Weber

I used the heat compound that came with me module, standard blue streak lx-301. Car had points before and ran kinda crappy. So I bought a electronic dizzy and did the conversion, sounds great with the conversion I did, I mean really good, but it seems to bog out after 5 min of running it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:47 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Could be a faulty component (where'd you get the distributor?), a faulty connection, inadequate module ground, insufficient power to the module and coil—did you put in a relay?—could be cruddy cap and rotor (read this whole thread), could be cruddy spark plug wires. Get good plug wires from Magnecor.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:51 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Hey Dan, I have a solid ground from my alternator housing bonded to my coil bracket and jumpered over to my relay, zero ohms to ground, on grounding. Yes, sir I got a relay, my switched 12v to my coil had 13.6 when car was running and strong 13.6 from relay to coil. Bought the OEM distributor new from eBay.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:29 pm 

Car Model:
What about the module ground?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:06 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Module grounded through the heatsink, which the heatsink is bonded though the coil bracket, thus the coil bracket bonded through the alternator. Would my 7mm stock plug wires be the culprit? They're new, ran like a champ when it had Petronix. Ordered a new coil, if it isn't the coil, I can always return it. The pick up coil is good and gapped accordingly. No corrosion on the dizzy cap.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:15 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
I know that pickup coil polarity makes a difference with the aftermarket electronic ignition boxes. What I don't know is if it would make a difference with the HEI conversion. How about it DI? Any input?

Roger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:34 pm 

Car Model:
Yes, the pickup coil polarity makes a difference no matter what kind of box you're using.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:36 pm 

Car Model:
Corrosion isn't the only cap/rotor-related issue. Read that linked thread. Also make sure you didn't get a defective new module.

What're you running for a charging system? What voltage regulator? You mention "good 12v" off the alternator -- you need to be seeing well more than 12v off the alternator.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:59 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

My regulator is a new OEM style regulator, it's doing its job. I'm sorry, the alternator terminal gets 13.6-13.8 when running. Confirmed the voltage with my multimeter, Volts go up to 14.2 when throttle open. I just swapped out the module with same style, the same. Got a back up now, gonna change out the coil. Then get new plug wires.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:38 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 65 Dart, 225, 4 spd od, hyd clutch, BBD, 2 1/4 exh
Measure the coil wire voltage.
You are looking for 5000 volts
If 20,000 to 30,000 volts the HEI likely can't fire thru a poorly machined distributor cap such that the gap between the rotor and cap terminals is nearly 4 times the spark plug gap. Sadly that cap/rotor combo will likely destroy the HEi components quickly.

1965 Dart 110k, 225, Carter BBD Super Six, 2 1/4 single exh., sbp manual scarebird front disc, 7 1/4 rear 2.94 sure grip, 14 x 4.5 OEM wheels, 833 OD with hyd. throwout bearing, HEI, electric fan, ram air/heated air, Accusump. http://plymouthcarclub.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:45 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Should of gone with Pertronix, this HEI bullshit starting to add up more than what's it's worth.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:35 pm 

Car Model:
Magnumforce1987 wrote:
Should of gone with Pertronix, this HEI bullshit starting to add up more than what's it's worth.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You might or might not have had a better result with Pertronix. The problem you're having isn't because of HEI, it's because of a component fault(s) and/or improper install. Systematic diagnosis will lead you to the problem, then you can fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:29 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

I wired it according to the hei retrofit link here on slant6.org. I've triple checked my work and it all checks out, the pick up coil works, new module (now I got a back up), now it just turns on and dies immediately, I know it has fuel, ordered a new coil since it's what everyone is suspecting. The wire from the coil to dizzy cap had 11k ohms, so I swapped it out to an accel 8mm, the spark from coil is now slight orange with white and a hint of blue, the wires to the spark plugs have 7.9ohms with still a faint orange spark. Changed out the rotor to an echlin rotor and still the same.