Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:57 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Can someone give a summary of slant six oil pan changes starting with the '60 Valiants and '61 Lancers? Interchangeability?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:20 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100

This is a picture of the various slant six oil pans made over the years originally posted by Doctor Dodge, slant six guru extraordinaire. In the past he has described what each pan's original application was, but I can't find that thread now. The top left pan is the "early" pan you want - it fits 60-66 A bodies.

Here are some quotes I was able to find from the good Doctor about that picture:

Doctor Dodge wrote:
Here is a photo of some common SL6 oil pans, the B-body pan is at the lower left corner, your 73 A-body should have the "087" pan at the lower right corner. Look at how much shorter the rear of the sump is to the back edge of the pan.

Doctor Dodge wrote:
The 60-66 A-body oil pan has a sump that is a full inch further back then a 67 and later pan.

Doctor Dodge wrote:
There is no number stamped into the early A-Body oil pans. You just have to look for the long shallow front section, the sump does not start until appx the 3rd bolt hole back.

Doctor Dodge wrote:
Sorry to say that the "987" pan is one of the pans for the 67 and later A-Body cars, this pan will not fit 60-66 A-Body chassis.

Here is a look at the pan you have next to the one you need. The early A-Body pan has a much longer front section.
FYI, the only other pan that will fit is the "369", mid 70s A & F body unit, the blue one in this pic. The front left corner of that pan comes close to the 60-66 K-frame so I dent it in a little to make clearance. (see the black lines)

Doctor Dodge wrote:
I call those later F-body oil pans the "small sump universal pan" just because they will fit into a lot of different chassis. It is a good pan to keep on the "back-up engine" because in my case, I never know which car that engine may end-up in.

Watch the front driver's side corner on this pan when using it on an early A-body, it will hit the K-frame on hard acceleration. I just dent that corner in a bit and it clears. Also note that the rear section is a little deeper so it is tight with the shallow 60-65 A-Body SL6 centerlink, the V8 centerlink clears it.

Dodctor Dodge wrote:
The 1960 - 66 pan is different from the 67 on up pans, the area between the sump and the front of the pan is longer.
Oil pick-up tubes are also different so swap on the oil pan and pick-up tube

Doctor Dodge wrote:
I call the later small sump "369" pan the "universal" oil pan for the SL6 because it does fit many chassis. (the blue pan in the photo below)

The 369 SL6 oil pan will "drop into" a 60-66 A-body but the shallow SL6 centerlink will rub on it's rear, no-sump section and the sump's edge is really close to the K-frame on the front left (driver's side) corner.
As routeen, I take a bodyman's hammer and tap some small "depressions" (dents) into these pans, even before I pull them off the donor engine... I've done enough of them to know right where to dent the pan so they fit right into an early A-Body.

Using the deeper drop V-8 center-link reduces the size of the dent needed to clear but I find that the 369 pan still needs a small dent in that area, to clear the deep c-link at full lock, right turn.

Doctor Dodge wrote:
DonPal wrote:
I've looked thru the sites to find where the 369 pan needs to be dented in order to allow it to be used in an early A-Body.

Is there a picture showing the locations to tap in order to clear the center link and K frame?

Dent the 369 oil pan Here:

And Here:

THere is probably more info buried on the board, but this should answer your question. This info doesn't adress the front sump oil pans used on 64-71 A series vans and the Sweptline turcks, nor does it address specialty applications like airport tugs, forklifts, threshers, combines, water pumps, generators, sawmills, nut tree shakers, boats, or the other multitudinous application where slant sixes were used. SPecialized industrial applications have been spotted sporting unique oil pans, common passenger car oil pans, or truck oil pans.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:22 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I wonder if this could be included in the Engine FAQ sections?

Additionally this link is not active :-(

http://u225.torque.net/cars/SL6/tech/oilpans.html

It seems to be on Dan's Site?

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:37 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Donno what used to be on that page, and I don't have an archived copy, sorry :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:54 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Donno what used to be on that page, and I don't have an archived copy, sorry :(

No problem..
Whatever it was i bet it was useful.

Cheers.

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:30 pm 
Supercharged

I think Doctor Dodge had a writeup about oil pans. Could that be what was there?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:44 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Update: I found that content archived on an old hard drive. I've put it back up and now the link works again. Click and see.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:43 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Aren't the oil pickups kind of unique to each oil pan?

Retired USAF 1966-1986
Retired US Postal Service 2004-2014

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:46 pm 
Supercharged

65 dartman wrote:
Aren't the oil pickups kind of unique to each oil pan?

Yup.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:53 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Update: I found that content archived on an old hard drive. I've put it back up and now the link works again. Click and see.

Cool thanks again uncle Dan.

Greg