Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Air pump issues
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:31 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
So the air (smog) pump on our 80 Volare slant 6 is rattling/rapping. Sort of a knocking noise.

......definitely coming from the air pump.

Been doing it a while.

The pump is connected to the tube that goes to the head, but not to the cat -- its an aftermarket cat that was on the care when we got it...so that hose just hangs free.

It doesnt have to pass pipe-measured emissions, though it DOES have to pass "visual". I suppose that technically that means air pump.

The car is an A/C car as well, but that isnt operating right now.

A new pump thru rock auto is $120......plus a real headache swapping it out....

Considering used --- 50 miles away, a few listed for around $35 or so.....maybe worth the gamble?

Would there be any issue with just leaving the A/C and air pump belt off altogether? I mean, with the pump connected to the head the way it is? If I recall right, that belt just drives the A/C and air pump.

If I had my druthers, the air pump and all the crap with it would be gone.....it clutters up the bay so much. That said, it seems to be an integral part of the A/C setup/bracketry......so not sure that would be doable.

Post subject: Re: Air pump issues
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:58 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
In 79 the slants on volares /aspens did not have an air pump in federal smog trim.

There was an idler there instead.
If you found one of these factory brackets it would be easy to swap the c-171 to the bracket with the idler.. might require a belt change too.. that would replace your smog pump.

I would just get the new pump as it might be easier to find one of those rather than that ac bracket and mount.

I just put a new smog pump on the 79 wagon this summer. (318) It wasnt a big deal to change.

I saw your son in the volare on christmas eve at 48 and lincoln way.. car looks good.

i might suggest to keep it out of the salt or spray the undersides with oil or both... or he will end up with a parts car fast!

Best of luck.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:07 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I'm in PA also and when I restored my truck (It was totaled) I went to the inspection station and specifically asked about the smog pump before I took it in. He said it didn't matter at all since it was over 25 years old. So mine was deleted and all that went along with it. We don't do the smog test in this part of PA though.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:52 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Rick Covalt wrote:
I'm in PA also and when I restored my truck (It was totaled) I went to the inspection station and specifically asked about the smog pump before I took it in. He said it didn't matter at all since it was over 25 years old. So mine was deleted and all that went along with it. We don't do the smog test in this part of PA though.

Rick

rick, thanks....thats good to know....I got the feeling from my insp. station that it would not be missed.....

But then I do run into that issue of needing the idler etc

Greg, do you know if it is just an idler that swap into the same AC setup or does that all have to change?

When we did the engine rebuild that monstrosity came out as one chunk and was a PITA.

I keep thinking we will eventually get the A/C running again, but who knows....LOL......otherwise Id just yank the whole mess.

If I could find the idler setup I would go that route.......

re: the salt -- yeah....it is what it is.....its his year round car......after last winter he hoses it down real well underneath. I suggested spray oiling it...not sure he did. That said, it has "rusty jones" on it...and seems pretty well protected....luckily he doesnt see tons of miles yet in this mess.....but yeah he does drive it....makes me a little sad.....but its either he drive a cool older mopar or buy some pos 10+ year old beater that we cant work on. :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:15 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
.....anyone see an issue with just pulling the belt for the A/C and air pump for now?

Worried the pump will seize in the cold and be a situation....there is that steel pipe that goes from the air pump valve to the head....will that be an issue not having air pumped thru that?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:05 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I had a similar problem and I removed the pipe and placed a freeze plug in the hole I believe it was a 5\8 in. for the idler I used a 6 or 8 in mending plate from Depot and an Idler pulley from Autozone. sorry I dont remember the part number for that

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:30 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
If the air pump bearings are good, you could gut the vanes out of the pump (assuming the noise is the vanes) and it can be used as an idler........

8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:36 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
This cl ad in west va. Has the c-171 bracket and idler i am talking about.

https://huntington.craigslist.org/pts/d ... 39156.html

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:55 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Greg Ondayko wrote:

Greg

Looks like I was too late......deleted by author....... :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:56 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
emsvitil wrote:
If the air pump bearings are good, you could gut the vanes out of the pump (assuming the noise is the vanes) and it can be used as an idler........

Yeah I guess that would be one way to go.....I am not sure WHAT the noise is frankly internally.......

The other issue here is we hate how much space that hog takes up visually.

If I can find that bracket and idler greg is referring to and keep the AC I think thats the way that would work the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:59 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Greg Ondayko wrote:

Greg

Hey Greg

Does this look like it? And does it just replace the air pump in the same bracketry we have now so we can keep the AC?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Slant-Si ... VK&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Thats just the idler.. not sure if just that will work or not.... maybe... if youre a gambilin man and willing to risk a jefferson then i say go for it. I see no reason some fab work couldnt be done to make it work.

Greg