Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: glass for '67 dart
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:26 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
I was looking at AMD website, they say that the windshield and rear glass for a 68-onward is the same for a '67 dart, but the quarter glass, door glass and wing window glass is different for 67 vs 68 onward. Is that true? That is, their part number, 499-2067-TS, will fit a '68 dart, the windshield and rear glass will fit a '67 but the side glass won't fit a '67.

Thanks all,

Brian

Post subject: Re: glass for '67 dart
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:29 pm 
Turbo EFI

I already have the '68 type seal and trim on my '67 windshield.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:35 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
When you ask a question like this, please specify the body style you're working with. I even went to your photo stream and couldn't figure out what you've got. 2-door hardtop, 2-door sedan, convertible, 4-door sedan…? You get out of a question what you put into it.

That said: No, AMD are wrong about this. Bodystyle by bodystyle, the quarter glass and rear door glass (as applicable) are same '67-'76. The front vent wing and front door glass are same '67-'72 on 2-door square-body (non-Duster/Demon/Sport) hardtops, and same '67-'76 on 4-door sedans. The 2-door hardtop front door glass (no vent wing) is same '73-'76.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:21 pm 
Turbo EFI

Thanks so much, Dan. Sorry, yes, it's a 2 door hardtop.

I was thinking about someday installing green tinted glass; and looking through ebay and various other places for used glass, if I do it piecemeal it'll cost more than AMD's set. I haven't seen a complete set anywhere in the green glass.

Do you happen to know what the % transmission of the green tinted glass is?

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:35 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
What's the goal? If you're trying to cut down on heat entry into the car, skip the costly glass replacement and find a local shop that installs this stuff (Llumar Air 80), which works as described.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:30 am 
Turbo EFI

Dan,

That is a wonderful idea.

Here's my situation. There is currently window tint film on there. It is a dark smoky purple hue that I don't like. The rear driver quarter window piece is torn, and the rear glass has a large scratched area where someone obviously took an abrasive to it. The rest of it is in perfect shape. In fact, whoever installed it did a fantastic job, you can't see any edges and no bubbles anywhere. I tried to match it, went to a shop, but they couldn't match it. I really don't like the color but could live with it. Also, I've been told that this stuff is really hard to remove, chemicals, heat gun, razor blades, combinations of all three and it's a real slog. One guy said it's really easier just to replace the glass, although I doubt that's true.

I intend to pull all the glass anyway, as the windshield is badly pitted and needs replaced (and the seal leaks), and I want to do work inside the doors, fix the rear quarter window crank mechanisms/redo the glass adhesion to the channel it's in, replace the wing window seals (torn), and the pull the rear glass because it leaks badly and there is some metal repair to be done on the rear deck.

So, the least expensive path is match the color and replace two pieces. The hardest path is to remove it. And the most expensive path is to replace the glass. I'm just figuring which path I should take. In the meantime the glass prices are rising; I've already seen it go up by $300, so I'm hedging on buying the glass before it gets out of hand.

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:55 am 
Turbo EFI

BTW, Dan, I removed the rear quarter window and removed the window tint film. It was fairly easy to remove, so I don't know what that guy who told me it was nearly impossible was spewing. It was stuck pretty well, but with a razor I could get under it and then I pulled it off in a single sheet. The glue is a bit tougher, but no problem if you let it soak in windex for a bit, razors right off.

brian