Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:16 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I have two trucks that I am going to add AC to. One is a 1976 D100 with a 225, the other is a 1983 Ramcharger with a 318. Both trucks do not currently have air conditioning. Rather than spend a lot of money on a complete kit that is probably easier to install, I have chosen to be cheap and piece the AC systems together from junkyard parts, ebay parts, and some new parts.

I have factory brackets and AC compressors that I will clean up and use. I will get new condensers. I have also purchased two old underdash evaporator units that will mount under the dashboards of the trucks.

I know I can get all new o rings, and compressor lubricant, underhood hoses, and evaporators. Under the hood is not an issue. I can get new hoses under the hood since everything will be factory original components. My problem is hoses and how to connect the under dash evaporator units to modern hose that works with R134a. Is anyone aware of a company that makes an adapter to connect the factory underhood AC lines to two hoses from the underdash evaporators? Also, where can I find hose lengths of R134a compliant hose?

Any information and leads are appreciated. I am virtually clueless about AC systems, so go slow.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:31 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The basic issue is how to get hold of hoses that have the correct, application-unique hardlines and end fittings but are made of the new hose material (not a purchasable product) or how to get hold of new correct hardlines and end fittings (ditto). The answer is that the crimp collars can be cut off with a Dremel tool, and the lines can be rehosed by a good A/C shop that has a hose stuffer (yes, it's really called that) and then new crimp collars installed.

There are a lot more things to think about in retrofitting A/C to a vehicle such as the ones you have in mind. I speak from hard experience: there's a difference between getting the system put together and working, and getting the system to function well enough to have been worth the blood, sweat, tears, and dollars. Adding A/C that works effectively will require thoughtful selection and specification of components, and it will also require upgrades that you might not have thought of as part of the project. The cooling system (not just the fan) has to be up to the task, and the vehicle is a "solar oven" that needs insulation and window treatment if the A/C is to have a prayer of doing anything like a good job for you. Here are a few entry portals to the rabbit holes you'll want to go reading down: see here. You'll want a parallel-flow condenser; it won't be expensive. See here (and threads linked there) and here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:01 pm 
Supercharged

I agree completely. Both vehicles will have tinted windows and improved heat insulation. My plan is to use factory components under the hood (with the exception of upgrading to cross-flow condensers) and use under dash evaporator units to avoid having to source and install the factory evaporator and vent systems.

The 76 D100 definitely needs a radiator upgrade, and I will probably upgrade the 82 Ramcharger radiator. I also plan on upgrading the electrical systems of both vehicles and running electric fans to supplement the factory radiator fans when the AC is running.

I have obtained all the brackets, compressors, and evaporators I need, and I do have one cross-flow condensor I plan on at least trying to make work. I know I can source the proper o-rings and compressor lubricant easily. Rockauto has new application specific AC hoses for a very good price that are compatible with R134A. I am just searching for hoses I can use to run between the factory underhood hoses and the aftermarket underdash evaporator unit, as well as come kind of adapter to adapt the factory underhood hoses to the barb fittings necessary to hook to the underdash evaporator units.

I will check out those links and keep researching.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:16 pm 
Supercharged

A-ha. I think I found what I am looking for in the links Dan provided. https://nostalgicac.com/complete-ac-kit ... c-kit.html Nostalgic AC appears to sell lengths of properly shielded hose. Now if I can find a shop local to me that will crimp the fittings I have onto the new hose I should be good to go.