Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:56 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
SlantSixDan wrote:
SlantSteve wrote:
there’s plenty of people running happy and long living TF trans with type F for performance duties. One way of looking at it is less slippage during shifts

...which rigourously-measured data demonstrate doesn't actually happen to any significant degree. This is practically a myth.

Quote:
actually reduces wear and the frictions

Nope.

Quote:
That’s their opinion

Yup, that's exactly what it is—not more.

Quote:
and it seems to not create any issue

The Torqueflite is a very well-engineered transmission that will withstand a great deal of abuse, including the use of inferior transmission fluid.

Quote:
I would not hesitate from running type F

Your opinion might change if you were to look at the actual data rather than relying on poorly-informed opinions.

Quote:
multi Spec synthetics meet Dexron, ATF +4 and type M Spec

The marketers of those fluids claim their one fluid meets all those specs, yes, but claims aren't quite the same thing as reality. And there's at least one additive maker claiming their miracle additive "converts" Dexron into other fluid types, which isn't actually possible. But there's money to be made, so.

Relevant refs: This, , this*, this, this, this, and some others.

* This is where most of the "Dex-6 is better than ATF+4" data comes from. Because of SAE rules, the fluids compared could not be called out by name in the published papers. They are as follows:
A: Dexron-VI
B: Mopar ATF+4
C: ZF factory fill
D: Honda Z1
E: Toyota WS
F: Ford Mercon 5
G: Allison

Yeah, but what do all those white-coated scientists know, anyway? I bet most of them never have even been to a race track or even tried running type F fluid in a 727! :roll:

Did you ever find your radio? Contact with the outside world is a good thing :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:32 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I stopped listening to my radio when I learned that aliens and the government send mind control signals by radiowave. I now wear my tinfoil hat everywhere, even in the shower.

Attachments:
tinfoilhatsmall.jpg
tinfoilhatsmall.jpg [ 84.91 KiB | Viewed 6581 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
I stopped listening to my radio when I learned that aliens and the government send mind control signals by radiowave. I now wear my tinfoil hat everywhere, even in the shower.

:D :D And the chemtrails...don’t forget the chemtrails! :D :D remember...the scientists in the white coats are your friends :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:36 pm 
Supercharged

YES! THE CHEMTRAILS! Those scientists are spreading chemicals to warp and curve our flat planet to further their fake argument that the Earth is a spheroid! Anyone can look outside and see the Earth is flat!

As was aptly stated in Young Frankenstein: "All those scientists, they're all alike. They say they're working for us, but what they really want is to rule the world!"

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:24 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
YES! THE CHEMTRAILS! Those scientists are spreading chemicals to warp and curve our flat planet to further their fake argument that the Earth is a spheroid! Anyone can look outside and see the Earth is flat!

As was aptly stated in Young Frankenstein: "All those scientists, they're all alike. They say they're working for us, but what they really want is to rule the world!"

:roll:

Absolutely! And they will go to any lengths to persuade us to believe them , like man on the moon. Hollywood at its best!!

In all seriousness it’s great to explore both sides of any topic .... umm what was this discussion about again? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:50 pm 
Supercharged

In all serousness, I still believe real scientists with repeatable, verifiable, quantifiable data over anecdotes any day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:22 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
In all serousness, I still believe real scientists with repeatable, verifiable, quantifiable data over anecdotes any day.

Facts and proven science over anecdotes for me. Remember as much science goes into working out why something didn’t work as goes into why it should. You know Comet , titanic , space shuttle,just stuff like that. As tragic as it can be there’s nothing wrong with that process, as long as we learn from our mistakes.Without science we would be undoubtedly lost, without in field experience science is theory. I look at both .
As for approved fluids and parts well in my resto Slant I run 4 cylinder Chrysler pistons , Mitsubishi electronic ignition, and others run Type F fluids. Original design criteria ? Hardly. Does it work? Yep, it’s proven.All the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:32 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Steve:
Quote:
it could be the evil type F in disguise

Or, an F'in disguise.

Hey Beer Assistant, another beer! Someone pass the popcorn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:49 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
Just be happy you have a trans that will live with whatever fluid you put in it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:13 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
sandy in BC wrote:
Just be happy you have a trans that will live with whatever fluid you put in it.

Aww real Sandy Wisdom Chimes in again , Eh...

I would agree.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:42 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
sandy in BC wrote:

Or one that the trans fluid will stay in!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:11 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Reed I love the hat, looks a lot like my lid of HD Reynolds Wrap. Fine tune that antenna with bend to the right, add a Tesla ball on its top enabling thought transmission, and all will be good my friend. LOL

I once recommenced a tinfoil hat to Dan several years ago when he faced a long semi cross country trip in car equipped with only an AM radio. Probably saved his bacon.

Here in New England, daily we are buffeted with never ending European generated Chemtrails as flights ark south along the big circle route heading to Boston, NY, DC, and parts unknown.

82' LeBaron Convertible; the new Chrysler Corp

07' 300 C AWD; Now by Fiat, the old new Chrysler LLC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:35 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
drgonzo wrote:
sandy in BC wrote:

Or one that the trans fluid will stay in!

That's the kicker for me. Only reason I don't put Dexron-VI in the racecar is because I can't go a weekend without disappearing 2 quarts or more. I buy store-brand Dex/Merc by the 5-gallon jug. Some day I'll eliminate the rest of the leaks... some day.