Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:10 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1964 Dart 270
A customer of mine from work is a mechanic and installs a lot of the throttle body kits in his customers cars. He has installed quite a few FITechs, Holley Snipers, and some FAST systems. He says the one he has the least problems with is the Sniper. He did install one of the old Projection kits on his motor boat (and quickly replaced it with a FAST setup). The Snipers are a huge improvement.

His big gripe with the FITech is that the wiring loom is a mess, the Holley has it all in a harness and it stays a lot neater.

After I get some home projects out of the way I might try one of the Holley systems out.

-Brandon

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162600228@N03/

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:04 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Thanks for the info and welcome to the site, Brandon!

Lou

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:50 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Holley does nice gear. Even their old Commander 950 Ecu was a capable unit. I’ve actually done the EFI course at Holley and am fitting their HP system to a non Mopar project. Can bus Comms to gauges, digtial dashes in a simple easy to use system sold it for me, but there are many other very competent manufacturers out there of course. Guys like Doug Flynn at Holley stand out, they are a very passionate group of guys and I understand why their units are so popular. You can’t really compare their old stuff to today’s offerings, light Years ahead!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:21 am 

Car Model:
I admit I have the opposite feeling about Holley. I bought a ProJection back in the 90s and it really was garbage. Also, the design of Holley carbs is pretty terrible (should have been left in the 1960s) in terms of ease of modification, messiness, etc. They are good for getting you to buy a huge number of tuning parts. However, I am happy to hear that these systems apparently have some nice points. Maybe I can work on or tune one sometime...

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:15 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I’ve been having nothing but trouble with my 6. After it stared running crappy I swapped to rebuilt carb and it was okay... then stalling at idle... swapped the carb to a rebuilt bought off line and then found the manifold leak and another vacuum leak... fixed those but the new carb didn’t give me what I had before ... thus another carb I rebuilt and now I’m all over the place... can’t get the idle set or the mix set or the vacuum step up ... idles high but when I turn down it bogs out... I am super frustrated! I have been considering the Holley bbd for Jeep Cj but would need to make a throttle cable bracket. No way I want to go with a 4 bbl style.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:06 am 

Car Model:
If you have not adjusted the valve lash, do that before you touch anything else.

Best wishes,
Lou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:01 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Why spend that much money just to have a TBI system? If I were to go through the trouble of fuel injection tion I'd go multi port.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:54 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
Why spend that much money just to have a TBI system? If I were to go through the trouble of fuel injection tion I'd go multi port.

and that is my exact thought.

There are several companies that sell fuel rail extrusions, the tooling is available that will cut the injector seats in a single pass. With the right tooling and a simple fixture and a machining center, you have it made and will be on the road to MPFI

or

Gill Welding a Fabrication seems to be highly capable of helping on the hardware side of the project.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62869

for an ECU, I run a MegaSquirt MS3 ECU, three years down that MPFI road, the MS has been rock solid reliable. When I have had questions the support forum at http://www.msextra.com/forums/
has always been helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:36 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I have MS2 on a daily driver slant 6 since 2008.

Driven in salt, winter, snow everything,

Works well.

Multiport.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:42 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
Depending on your build, the FiTech 2bbl TBI sounds like a good choice. I went with their 30003 4bbl TBI on my slant. The setup was really easy, set standard program for v6 to get the fuel right, works well. I get a little lean on deceleration, but that's only because I'm using the stock settings and haven't gotten to programming it more specifically (I think my brake boost has something to do with this, changing the intake vacuum when I hit the brakes). Works very well otherwise, responsive, AFR is good on acceleration, no lean conditions under load.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151192512 ... 6961526645

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:24 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
I think the Sniper would be more popular if they were more serviceable. A knowledge base exists in the user community for diagnosing and making common repairs, but I don't think Holley has been much help. As time goes on I think you could pick up a used Sniper and get it to work well for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:15 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
I had double Weber 2bbl's on an offy intake and I liked it because of instant response and, presumably, better fuel distribution with the dual carb intake. Had they had a 2bbl TBI back in the day, I might have considered double deuces, but the cost would be double for the two TBI units...and double the wiring, etc. Happy with my 4bbl, turn the key and go, can sit in traffic forever without any heat issues (Webers boiled over after 15 minutes in traffic).

To answer an earlier question "why go TBI for that price, why not sequential multiport FI?" Answer: I was lazy, looking for easy install, no brainer. The only work was making a throttle cable bracket, the rest was easy peasy lemon squeezy. No more tuning carbs, etc. One can simply program what they want without any additional mechanical adjustments.

Brian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:40 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I had a 4bbl sniper unit on my daily driver 79 ramcharger and ended up ripping it off and going back to an edelbrock carb because I got tired of worrying about what sensor or special order part was going to $#!+ the bed next and leave me stranded in downtown Seattle waiting for a rollback. Holley is too busy buying other companies so they are using their customers as quality control I also sold the 2300 2bbl kit before we even installed it on the 302 in my wife's 50 ford 4 door. I installed the hyperspark ignition box and coil under the dash to avoid any RFI issues and was working with a top notch tuner but kept running into problems with the hardware. I ran it for about 8 months and never trusted it 100%.

If you do go with a sniper you need to run a 3/8" return line into the tank (bend up hard lines, not the 20' of hose they send with the kit). You MUST pay attention to the placement of the line into the tank so it doesn't aerate the fuel causing cavitation in the pump. You also need to buy a fuel pressure gauge and keep an eye on it to make sure you don't have any problems with the built in regulator.

In the end I was very disappointed with the whole system, the quality of the parts, Holleys lack of any give a $#!+, the time it took them to exchange faulty parts (I just asked for a refund after waiting 3 months and never receiving a new hyperspark ignition box to replace the bad one they sent in the kit). It amazed me at the attitude of the hardcore sniper fans (and Holleys tech line). Anytime you asked for help they just bomb you with "you installed it wrong", "you have rfi issues", and "a new sensor is only $20, stop being so cheap". All this is after I had a perfect installation, zero rfi issues and dropped $2000+ on the whole thing. The only good thing I gained out of the whole boondoggle was a nice return line going to my tank keeping the fuel cool and constantly moving. I am 100% confident with the Eddy carb and know that I can fix it on the side of the road if I needed to.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:21 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
JR wrote:
I had a 4bbl sniper unit on my daily driver 79 ramcharger and ended up ripping it off and going back to an edelbrock carb because I got tired of worrying about what sensor or special order part was going to $#!+ the bed next and leave me stranded in downtown Seattle waiting for a rollback. Holley is too busy buying other companies so they are using their customers as quality control I also sold the 2300 2bbl kit before we even installed it on the 302 in my wife's 50 ford 4 door. I installed the hyperspark ignition box and coil under the dash to avoid any RFI issues and was working with a top notch tuner but kept running into problems with the hardware. I ran it for about 8 months and never trusted it 100%.

If you do go with a sniper you need to run a 3/8" return line into the tank (bend up hard lines, not the 20' of hose they send with the kit). You MUST pay attention to the placement of the line into the tank so it doesn't aerate the fuel causing cavitation in the pump. You also need to buy a fuel pressure gauge and keep an eye on it to make sure you don't have any problems with the built in regulator.

In the end I was very disappointed with the whole system, the quality of the parts, Holleys lack of any give a $#!+, the time it took them to exchange faulty parts (I just asked for a refund after waiting 3 months and never receiving a new hyperspark ignition box to replace the bad one they sent in the kit). It amazed me at the attitude of the hardcore sniper fans (and Holleys tech line). Anytime you asked for help they just bomb you with "you installed it wrong", "you have rfi issues", and "a new sensor is only $20, stop being so cheap". All this is after I had a perfect installation, zero rfi issues and dropped $2000+ on the whole thing. The only good thing I gained out of the whole boondoggle was a nice return line going to my tank keeping the fuel cool and constantly moving. I am 100% confident with the Eddy carb and know that I can fix it on the side of the road if I needed to.
I'm hoping a knowledge base develops for independent diagnosis and repairs, but Holley might stop making them before that occurs