Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 11 Next
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:09 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
What image service are you using

You can post them directly here without a hosting service. Just need to resize them smaller.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:22 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Picture upload test.

This is pretty close to final ride height. I have Firm Feel 1.12 torsion bars in the front with the top of the fender opening at 24.625". The rear springs are the ones Peter Bergman sells. The wheel opening is 22.25" with an empty tank. I don't have lowering front spring hangers.

Attachments:
20180609_130730-1008x567.jpg
20180609_130730-1008x567.jpg [ 174.07 KiB | Viewed 12621 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:24 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Looks pretty grainy to reduce the file size below 256kb.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:04 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Valiant
I now use the Imgur app for file hosting.
Easy to use and can have private albums.

To Lower the rear of my Valiants, I just flipped the factory front hanger over and ovaled the mounting holes in the unibody to accept the narrower (or wider) stud pattern.

I am also very interested in the 6 speed setup.
This will go into a /6 swapped BMW E36 M3.

Jason
‘64 Valiant Signet 24 Hours of LeMons entrant
‘64 Valiant 4 dr. GRM Challenge entrant
‘87 BMW E30. Retired LeMon /6 pushbutton swapped
‘65 Barracuda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:33 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Looking good! The main thing is to get the car driving and then see how you like it and change things from there. Any number of measurements and calculations and designs will never represent the real driving experience, how you fit into it, and how to improve the car and yourself. In any case, enjoy the building and here's to progress!

Yep, I am still interested in the 6 spd too! I am thinking about a new project that could really use that setup.

All the best,
Lou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:09 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I've basically copied Peter's geometry as close as possible since he has put years of testing into his car and it performs well. I think his rear may be .5" lower by using a lowering block. I still need to put the Explorer rear in and the replacement spring perches appear to be a little taller than stock. That would have the same effect and lower the rear a little more. My neighbor kicked the car off his lift so I had to move the project along a little. I was really tempted to modify the 904 transmission crossmember to bolt back in with the new torsion bar crossmember so I could try out all my fancy new suspension parts, but I resisted so I would have to make progress on 6 speed. My next task is fabbing the transmission crossmember and getting a set of 4 speed pedals. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of used stock pedals that still need to be restored. I'd really like to put in a set of Wilwood hanging or even floor mounted pedals. They would give me the added bonus of adjustable bias without also buying a proportioning valve. I'm considering designing a replacement pedal mounting bracket for Wilwood pedals to give people another bolt in option if a good set of stock pedals aren't available. I'm going to need that clutch pedal soon.

Keeping my 8.25 rear with 2.45 gears, for now, will also allow me to see where I want my long term rear end ratio to be. I have the two extremes of the range available, 2.45's in the car right now and my 8.8 rear has 4.10's. I'm thinking I'll be in the high 2's low 3's range. I'm going to join one of the mustang forums and see if anyone wants to trade their factory gears for my 4.10's. I found threads where several guys were willing to just give them away because they already upgraded to a lower gear.

I'm going to need to upgrade my front disks to something a bit bigger in diameter. My stock rotors are looking a little anemic in the new 18x9 rims.

I'll upload some more pictures to FABO and link them back here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:06 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
If your ratios are indeed as posted previously you will have a real dichotomy on your hands...

A stockish slant will not like anything with 26" tires and a 2.45 rear with 6th gear period... it will tolerate 5th on the flats only...will work great with that granny first gear...
(I know Dave M daily drives his valiant with an old drag race engine with that gear ratio and direct...but that's a pretty stout build...)

2.45 and the 1st gear will work out great....

Like wise it goes the other direction... no matter what you go with .794 and 4.10's will feel like a 3 speed and 3.23's... 3.91's will be a bit more rpm higher than 3 speed and 2.94... the other direction though 1st gear will be all but useless as you will be shifting at 5 mph on the clock in normal traffic situations...2nd gear starts will be almost perfect...

There are a number of ratio calculators you can use to rough in how this will shape up and predict some of the issues with driveability, but as Lou says the final tuning will occur by feel and how you drive... if the build is NA, you don't want your rpms under 2000 (takes the carb main jetting off line and makes things finicky in the transition range) and in the upper gears you want to stay in the torque sweet spot for the cam for best streetability.

Food for thought...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:04 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Neither of those ratios are what I'm going to keep long term. I'll just have a chance to drive the car at both ends of the spectrum. I probably end up with either 3.08s or 3.27s in the 8.8. I have a couple spreadsheets for calculating rpm and speeds in different gears.

Final configuration will be megasquirt Ms3 Pro and an Hx35 turbo. I have all the parts, I just wanted to get the transmission in before I had more things to disconnect if I needed to pull the engine during the retrofit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:24 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
casedawg wrote:
Neither of those ratios are what I'm going to keep long term. I'll just have a chance to drive the car at both ends of the spectrum. I probably end up with either 3.08s or 3.27s in the 8.8. I have a couple spreadsheets for calculating rpm and speeds in different gears.

Final configuration will be megasquirt Ms3 Pro and an Hx35 turbo. I have all the parts, I just wanted to get the transmission in before I had more things to disconnect if I needed to pull the engine during the retrofit.

Ding!! My 8.8 Ford IRS has 3.27's in it & that's the plan for Me. Let Me know when You've got the pieces sorted out, Mine's an early-A, so I'm interested in the eng./trans marriage pieces primarily. Thx again for
the effort!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:23 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hey casedawg, still have an eye on this, let Me know when You've got a number for the materials and to get started. Hope You and the Family are well, Merry Christmas, and have a Happy New Year!! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:34 am 

Car Model:
Casedawg,

I am also ready to buy materials and/or give a deposit up front. I hope you will figure in some extra for your time and work.

Thanks and all the best,

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:09 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1984 D100 Shorty Custom
I am super interested!

I'm planning to put a fairly hot slant into my 58 Plaza, and a 6 speed behind it (instead of an A230) would be epic.

~THOR~

Part of Tyrde-Browne Racing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:15 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Hey guys! I'm still alive, just extremely busy with my machining business. Since I last posted, I've moved my shop, hired another programmer, and just purchased a new CNC lathe. My car has been parked with the tunnel cut out since the summer. I don't have anywhere to get it back up in the air to finalize the transmission install. I have the new torsion bar crossmember in but need to make the rear transmission mount. I literally have everything needed to finish it, although just as I typed this I remembered I haven't gotten a set of pedals yet.

I just rented more space for the new machine, so I might be able to get my car in there before I fill it with another machine in a few months.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:49 am 

Car Model:
Thanks for the update, Casedawg. We are interested if you get the time. Always things to do in life. Best wishes on the project, and your business!

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:39 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hey casedawg, busy is good!! Glad You checked in, like Dart270, whenever You're ready let Us know.
Cheers!!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 11 Next