Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: engine upgrade plan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:46 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1929 Dodge Roadster
Hello everyone, I've got 225 I plan to upgrade as time goes on. First plan is to just get the car road ready and drive it through the fall then maybe this winter start with some upgrades. This car will be mostly for the street but I do plan to take it to the strip for fun once in a while. Its a roadster hot rod and only weighs around 1500lbs so hopefully it will be a fun ride. Looking for yalls experience with any of these mods and if this sounds like a good plan.

Plan in no particular order.
Super six intake with Holley 2bl 350cfm
Dutra exhaust manifold for front 3 and modified stock for rear 3 running into 2 pipes Should I put a balance pipe in?
Comp Cams High Energy camshaft 264S Duration 264 Lift .044
Possibly deck the head .050" to take compression from 8.4 to 9.0
and probably a petronix kit

may try to add a mini starter (2006 ram manual) not sure if I will need the room or not as the stock exhaust will come out in front of the starter.

Let me know if you need to know anything else about the car. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: engine upgrade plan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:50 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Welcome and thanks for doing your homework!

There are better cams available for less money through Oregon Cam Grinding. Their 819 grind is essentially the Comp 264, but if it's ground on your core and it stays mated to the oil pump drive gear it's been happy with you greatly reduce the chance of drive and driven gear failure.

Your engine almost certainly is not at the advertised 8.4:1. I had to mill a head .080" to get 8.5:1. You have to measure the piston deck clearance and head volume to know where you are and know what it will take to achieve your goal. Bigger valves and pocket porting will help even more than the cam.

Dual outlet exhaust is fine, but I would Y the pipes together around near the transmission cross member unless you must have the look of duals. If duals connect them in the same place as a Y, but use an X.

An electronic distributor and genuine GM HEI module is more reliable than Pertonix.

The older mini starter is cheaper and easier to find. The hemi Ram starter is only needed for clearance on the Hyper Pak exhaust and adds clearance with a rear Dutra manifold.

If the car is an automatic then a higher stall converter will make a big difference.

I just saw the picture of the car. Neat! But it looks like you have a hydraulic cam engine so you cannot use the Comp 264 or Oregon 819. Oregon Cam Grinding does hydraulic cams naturally.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:38 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Great this is just the info I was looking for. I have responded with questions below in red.

Joshie225 wrote:
Welcome and thanks for doing your homework!

There are better cams available for less money through Oregon Cam Grinding. Their 819 grind is essentially the Comp 264, but if it's ground on your core and it stays mated to the oil pump drive gear it's been happy with you greatly reduce the chance of drive and driven gear failure.

Great I like the thought of using the same cam, is the 819 grind a decent one for what I'm going for? The engine is a 1969, shouldn't that be solid lifters?

Your engine almost certainly is not at the advertised 8.4:1. I had to mill a head .080" to get 8.5:1. You have to measure the piston deck clearance and head volume to know where you are and know what it will take to achieve your goal. Bigger valves and pocket porting will help even more than the cam.

Will definitely have to look at bigger valves and porting, might as well get it all done while the head is at the machine shop. Is decking really worth it to gain a little compression. I assume if you deck it a lot you will have to get new pushrods too right?

Dual outlet exhaust is fine, but I would Y the pipes together around near the transmission cross member unless you must have the look of duals. If duals connect them in the same place as a Y, but use an X.

I'm wanting to do exhaust along the side of the body like the old race cars from the 30s. Not sure idi'm going to run duals all the way or one larger pipe. if I run duals would an H setup be too restrictive vs an X setup to balance the pipes?

An electronic distributor and genuine GM HEI module is more reliable than Pertonix.

Any part numbers or source vehicles to find these parts?

The older mini starter is cheaper and easier to find. The hemi Ram starter is only needed for clearance on the Hyper Pak exhaust and adds clearance with a rear Dutra manifold.

Fair enough might as well wait until the starter goes out and save the money for other fun engine stuff!

If the car is an automatic then a higher stall converter will make a big difference.

Yup 904 Torqueflite. I will probably wait till I do the engine upgrades so I know what the hp is so I can get a stall rpm that works best

I just saw the picture of the car. Neat! But it looks like you have a hydraulic cam engine so you cannot use the Comp 264 or Oregon 819. Oregon Cam Grinding does hydraulic cams naturally.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:15 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
Thebearded1 wrote:
Its a roadster hot rod and only weighs around 1500lbs so hopefully it will be a fun ride.

Plan in no particular order.
Super six intake with Holley 2bl 350cfm
Dutra exhaust manifold for front 3 and modified stock for rear 3 running into 2 pipes Should I put a balance pipe in?
Comp Cams High Energy camshaft 264S Duration 264 Lift .044
Possibly deck the head .050" to take compression from 8.4 to 9.0
and probably a petronix kit

may try to add a mini starter (2006 ram manual) not sure if I will need the room or not as the stock exhaust will come out in front of the starter.

Let me know if you need to know anything else about the car. Thanks!

*****************************************************************************************
Hmmmm. A '29 Dodge body with a slant. I think you're going to be disappointed, as I suspect it's going to come in closer to 2000 pounds, if not more. I built a slant powered, glass-bodied T that ended up being 2100, without my fat backside in it.
I didn't do any perf mods to the engine, so I can't help you on that. I'm pleased with the performance of the stock slant, but I do plan on an Offy, twin 1-barrel intake, as I think hot rods need more then one carb, if only for the look.
I'm also running a 904 auto, through a '59 Chevy rear, filled with 3:08 gears. Running a tall tire, I get quite good mileage going to far-reaching shows, but my acceleration does suffer. I run about 2600rpm at 65 mph, so I could put more leg into it, if I were so inclined, but I built is as a fun cruiser, not to terrorize neighborhoods.

Good luck with your build, and we do like pics around here.

Roger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:16 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
x2 on Josh's recommendation... the picture looks like the head and valve cover are the 1981-1987 type because the cover has a "jog" in it...

You can pull the oil fill cap and see if the rockers have adjuster screws or not... that will determine if it's a mech cam or hydro cam...
(I would worry a bit if you got a frankenstein that was a 1969 block, a 1981 head and cover, but with the 1969 rocker assembly...)

If it is mechanical the 819 ground on your core cam and regrinding the lifters will save $$$ over the same package from Comp...
that being said the 264/819 will like things in the 9.2-9.4:1 compression ratio range, but not much more above that.

Best EI distributor is from the 1977-1980 Aspen/Volare super six package part number 3864876, with your vehicle weight, pulling the heavy looped spring
and using another light spring from another similar 1973-1980 distributor will give a good sporty curve to go with the cam/compression and intake/exhaust changes.
(I used to have a couple cores, but they are all gone now, so the junkyard is your hunting grounds).

While at the junkyard ask for a starter from a 1992 Dodge Dakota 5.2L... most places have one on the shelf for $50 and is a good upgrade in weight and
they have more HP than the stock starter so if the engine it cold blooded, it will get it rolled over better...

I would weight the decision on the super six intake and Holley 350, considering super six manifold stacks are almost even with used offy 4 barrel intakes, and
unless you can get a known good Holley 350 cfm rebuildable core, the prices can be comparable in buying a new 2 barrel and a new 390 cfm 4 barrel...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:12 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Disappointed I think more surprised. My dad has a 1937 Austin Seven with an original full steel body, slicks, custom front frame and a sbc and it weighs 1800lbs. I'm not aiming to have a race car just a fun cruiser. I'm riding a 40+ year old Honda motorcycle around and have just ass much fun if not more than the guys on the modern crotch rockets.

I couldn't get the valve cover off to look at the head casting numbers but it does have what looks like adjustable rockers. My phone takes too big of photos to add one. Could it just be a later valve cover?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:25 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Could it just be a later valve cover?

No, that valve cover only bolts to the 1981-1987 head, the job in the pattern of the cover would leave a massive gap and oil leak on 1960-1980 heads.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:56 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Here is the front corner behind the alternator...

after reading this post viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54663&start=15
I think it is a 60-80 head

Attachments:
20180718_202241.jpg
20180718_202241.jpg [ 208.91 KiB | Viewed 7687 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:16 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Good deal, the close up is much better than the overall picture that is a bit misleading... that makes it easier, and 99.9% of being a
mechanical camshaft that can be reground....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:00 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Good deal!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:59 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I would like to see a picture of the roadster!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:21 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I would like to see a picture of the roadster!!

This thread....

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=62603

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:32 am 
TBI Slant 6

Here is another one. A lot of the engine mods will probably wait till winter. The plan now is to get some seats in it, fix some trans leaks, add some rear shocks and run the exhaust along the drivers side. Then drive it around and have fun

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 55.69 KiB | Viewed 7626 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:42 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1968 Barracuda - Fastback
DusterIdiot wrote:
Best EI distributor is from the 1977-1980 Aspen/Volare super six package part number 3864876, with...

Hey Rob - I noticed in your reply, you recommended a specific part number for a distributor. What is it about this distributor that makes it stand out?

Love the detail responses!

-C

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:14 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
Sweet hot rod man!