Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Front Brake locked up
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:58 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I'm sure this is answered somewhere on the board, but my searching skills have failed me =(

My '65 dodge dart will not move anymore because the front passenger brake is locked up and I can't get the drum off. My guess is that adjuster is stuck, because I pulled off all three other drums and all the adjusters were very hard to move. Actually two of the adjusters I had to get a vise to un-stuck them and then WD-40 till they moved freely.

Any ideas on the best way to get the drum off? I tried moving the adjust from behind the drum (with the two slits) but it is stuck and I probably broken some of the teeth off...

BTW I have plans to replace the front brakes with disc brakes, so if now is the time I'll put in the order.

Thanks!

~Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:13 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Doesn't help get it off, but it could be a stuck wheel cylinder.

:?

8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:23 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Can you access the adjuster through the access hole on the backside of the backing plate? You should be able to stick a flat bladed screwdriver into the hole and loosen the adjuster.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:50 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
BTW I have plans to replace the front brakes with disc brakes, so if now is the time I'll put in the order.

If you are swapping spindles for the disc brake conversion, now is the time to just pull the balljoint connections and pull the spindles and drum/brake assemblies,
and install the new set up...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:41 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
Sometimes the drum rusts onto the shoe linings, and they thereby "become one". Torch and a mallet, and maybe penetrating oil. You will probably need a replacement drum. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:17 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
If car is on the ground with wheel/tire still attached, rolling it backwards seems to loosen stuck shoes/drums better then forward.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:46 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
My guess it that the wheel cylinder and adjuster are stuck =(. I had to replace the wheel cylinder on one of the back drums.

I am able to access the adjuster from the two slots behind the drum. I use one screwdriver to release that metal plate holding the wheel (I can't remember the name of that) and I try to move the wheel with the other screw driver, but it is stuck. Is there a better way?

I ran the car in forward and reverse to try and loosen it (ending with a couple reverses), but no luck. =(

If there aren't any other ideas I'll try the torch idea. Failing that, what are some good front disc conversions kits? I have 14" wheels and I've seen some "mustang II" disc brakes kits that are more reasonably priced.

Thank you guys!

~Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:42 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Front brake hose bad,not releasing pressure ? Disconnect hose at wheel, wild guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:55 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Put some heat thru the adjuster slots in the backing plate onto the frozen adjuster threads. Use a torch with a fine tip.It should free up the adjuster so you can back it off. Failing that I’d put the front wheel back on, remove the outer wheel bearing whilst on jacks. This gives you some leverage when you pull one side of the wheel to try and remove the drum. If the shoes are locked onto the drum you will feel the drum move a little but return towards the backing plate as the springs pull it back. It might be enough to free the frozen shoes if they are rusted onto the drum. You could also lower the car back down to put a little weight into the wheel, this may also allow the drum to move in a way to break free of the shoes. Maybe some gentle heat on the drum may also help, but anything really excessive or if you beat on it with a hammer then I’d replace the drum, if that’s the case you may as well cut the drum with a grinder as need be and free it that way, either way its scrap.