Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:30 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1962 Dodge Lancer
Hello Sixers,

I have been struggling to get my 62 Lancer back on the road. I successfully installed a replacement for the aluminum block that was in there. It was a junkyard engine from a 70something truck. The car starts, but the oil light wont go off. I hooked up a Harbor Freight oil pressure gauge and get no pressure reading. If I take the oil filter off, a little oil come out if I turn the engine over. The engine is running a little loud, a mild clattering.

What are the chances that my cam shaft bearings are shot and unable to run the pump? Is there a way to test this? Is there a way to check if I cracked the pick-up tube (like put a snug-fit hose into the inbound hole in the oil pump and suck, I did this and was not able to suck up a stream, more air than oil, it did gurgle some).

I did drive the car a couple miles before I realized I did not have the oil sending unit hooked up properly. I am guessing that I am going to have to take the engine back out to figure this out.

Thanks for any and all help.
Luke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:43 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
If plugging a mechanical oil pressure gauge directly into the oil pump leads to a no pressure reading then you have a mechanical problem in the oiling system. I would start with the basics before worrying about bearings.

(1) when you installed the Lancer oil pan and oil pump pickup into the 70s block, did you make sure the oil pump pickup was aligned properly with the bottom of the oil pan and screwed tightly into the block? Did you check the pickup screen for clogging and the tube for cracks? You can't check any of this with th epan on the motor, so checking these will require pulling the engine.

(2) Did you prime the oil pump in any way when you installed the engine? Pack it full of vaseline etc...?

(3) is the oil pump the original one from the 70s engine or did you swap the Lancer pump on? Did the Lancer engine have oil pressure? If you didn't swap oil pumps between the engines it could be the later oil pump is bad.

Can you provide the details about the engine swap?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:08 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Reed has asked a bunch of great questions there. Please carefully consider all of those. Cam bearings will not be the problem.

It could be you do not have it primed. Did you fill up the oil filter before installing? This is messy, but you can pour oil into it until full (and let it soak into the element), then quickly invert it and screw it on. You will drop oil on the floor, but this helps prime the pump. I have done this on 3-4 engines where the pump was not primed and it worked.

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:21 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I don't like "packing" the oil pump full of vasoline, or grease, or whatever. A little to seal the rotors so they can create good suction is fine, but when packing full, sometimes the pump will not work. It cannot pull oil from the pan, if the vasoline is not pushed out of the pump cavity. What I have been doing is, just before firing the engine, I put a little liquid engine assembly lube, into the pump through the filter cavity, then install the oil filter that has been filled with oil, as Lou stated.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:00 am 
Supercharged

RE: Priming-

Listen to Lou and Charlie about this. Either one of them has replaced far more slant oil pumps than I have and either of them has more experience modifying slants that I ever will. If they say packing the oil pump rotor with vaseline is a worse choice than carefully pouring oil into the filter and pump body, then do what they say.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:31 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Thank you all, here are a couple responses:

I am pretty sure that the pickup tube is positioned properly. The oil pump and sending units are new from the parts store.

I primed it by filling the oil filter with oil, and pouring oil down the two holes in the oil pump. I have tried this a few times, but it does not seem to make any difference.

I am going to see about borrowing a "pre-lube system" to pump oil through the block.

I am just about to take it to a mechanic, but have gotten so far already that I would really like to not have to. Thanks again for your input.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:36 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Are you sure you got 5 quarts of oil in the pan? Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:39 am 
Supercharged

62alumblock wrote:
Thank you all, here are a couple responses:

The oil pump [is] new from the parts store.

Ohhhh. This might be an issue. You might be having the "five hole pump" oil pressure loss issue. See this thread HERE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:48 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Nice link! Though I am sure that there was a solid seal being made with the gasket.

I am going to pump oil through the system and see if a thorough priming will help. I'll update...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:57 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Hello All, I got pressure!!! I took a drill pump, attached a hose to where the oil filter screws on to, then pumped oil through the system. Then put it all back together and the light went off after the first start. Now we have a new problem....see new post.