Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 2125 Next
 Post subject: Fuel Question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:45 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 72' Dart Swinger / 62' Valiant
So, this year I bought VP Racing Q16 Gasoline to run in the race car. It is an oxygenated leaded gasoline at 116 octane rating. I was looking at this and the C16 which is the non oxygenated version of the 116 Octane. I read that the oxygenated fuel would make more power when setup properly and would be more stable in weather changes. It sounded like a good choice to me (except for the extra cost).

I didn't realize (until I messaged Seymour today) that there was a time when oxygenated fuel was not allowed in gasoline records. I cannot find the current rules to verify whether this is still the case or not. The rules post seems to be blank now too. Could someone please check the rules on gasoline so that I know if my previous record is legal or not?

I never even thought oxygenated fuels may be illegal since the majority of all pump gas is oxygenated.

If oxygenated gas is illegal as gasoline, is it legal as alcohol? Or is it simply an illegal "mixed" fuel for record purposes?

If the fuel is not legal then I will need to forfeit the A Gas record. If it is legal then I will submit some new A gas records to Seymour.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:30 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
IMHO, if it is marketed as gasoline and works well in a gasoline engine, and has less than 15% ethanol or ox additives, then it is definitely gasoline and not alcohol. Any gasoline you buy at any pump today (even "no ethanol", race or not) will have some oxygenated additives.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:52 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
I don’t remember anything in the rules about oxygenated fuel. I have your Dad’s book from Wilkesboro that has the 2016 rules in it. I will scan them and send them to you.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:25 am 
EFI Slant 6

Thanks guys, I hope you are both right. I really like using the fuel and it seems to run well on a wide range of air fuel ratios. The car just really ran well without misfires or anything like that. Lou, I was thinking the same thing about the pump gas we buy having ethanol and additives but I really didn't even consider it when I bought racing gas. I just got oxygenated gasoline because I read really good things about it.

Thanks Rob, whenever you get time to scan them that would be great.

Last thing I want to do is set a record while breaking the rules.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:45 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
There was a statement at one time in the "rules for setting records" that said no designer oxygenated fuels, but I can't remember if we removed that or not. I will look later tonight.

Current form your send to Seymour has this:

Fuel and/or Modifications Used:
G - Gasoline only (must be NHRA legal) normally aspirated
A - Alcohol only normally aspired (including E85)
N - Nitrous with gasoline or alcohol normally aspirated
U - Unlimited including Supercharged or Turbocharged, can also use nitrous and/or nitromethane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:20 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Rick Covalt wrote:
Current form your send to Seymour has this:

Fuel and/or Modifications Used:
G - Gasoline only (must be NHRA legal) normally aspirated

The problem is, NHRA Legal for what? I know Seymour tries to follow NHRA Stock rules, and pump gas is illegal in Stock. You have to use approved fuels only.

However, I believe the current Slant rules allow anything E-15 or less as gasoline.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:22 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I just read the 2016 Rules and the only mention of fuel is:

Fuel:
-E85 shall be considered alcohol for record setting purposes.
-Nitro-Mehtane fuel may be used in SSRN competition only when a letter approving its use from Track Manager is in the possession of each racer intending to use it. A copy of the written permission MUST be submitted to Seymour with the time slips and record form to be considered. For the purpose of breaking/setting records it will be considered in the unlimited class.

That is the only place I can see fuel even mentioned. IMHO, I think you're good to go, Ryan! :wink:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:54 pm 

Quote:
I have your Dad’s book from Wilkesboro that has the 2016 rules in it.

That's why I can't find it! :D :D

At the banquet a couple years back when we added the section about using Nitro to the rules, we also discussed the 10%, 15% ...etc gas and what was "gas". We purposely decided after a long discussion not to put any number into the rule because at any time the government may step in and make us all run 20% ethanol. So we decided that the normal gas that most of us buy at the pump is pump gas, whatever that may be at the time. The exception being E85 is alcohol for obvious reasons

Here is the link to the rules for records and it does mention fuels.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59732

The kicker is the "NHRA approved" as Dennis mentions. I think we should just clarify this at next years banquet. Possibly remove the "NHRA approved" wording and decide if oxygenated gas is ok or not. I guess we need to decide this now though since we have someone setting records using it.

I do have a copy of the rules that were in use up until 2016 that shows color coded places where we were going to change the rules or delete some things. I don't want to post it here and confuse things because it was not the edited final version. Rob, that final version should be in that note book. It looks like to me that we deleted a section that prohibited oxygenated fuels. I'll send that copy to you Lou to look at.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:14 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I scanned those pages (2016 Rules) and sent them to Ryan. I will send them to you and Lou and whomever else as well. They need to be posted still. I think there were a couple more changes you made last year. I remember you posting something about adding weight safely. Maybe one other thing...?

My vote: Oxygenated fuels you buy at the track are good to go!

Ryan needs them 20 points this year... 'Cuz Hell's comin'! And I'm comin' with it!! :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:16 pm 

Here is the link to the current records. It got lost in all the fuel talk. Can we make it stand out more so it is easier to find?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:37 pm 
EFI Slant 6

I will work on getting them posted in picture format too. I will try to post the link and also post pictures of the record list. That would make them stand out more. I will try to make that happen soon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:04 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Here are the current records as of 7/31/18 in picture format:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:12 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I predict that after Clay City, AA will be the only class with open spots remaining. :wink:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:55 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Remember that 1/8 mile records can only be set and backed up on strictly 1/8 mile runs, that would be rounds in an 1/8 mile race or strictly 1/8 mile time trials. Clay City usually runs all slant 6 time trials on the full quarter mile so you need to also enter pro or super pro where they usually do 1/8 mile time trials. If we would allow 1/8 mile splits on 1/4 mile runs we would have to go back and see what the 1/8 mile splits were on other record setting runs. We did this to attract racers to strictly 1/8 mile races and that has been the policy all along.

Last edited by Exner Geek on Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:23 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I posted that guidance in the Clay City thread as well and will reiterate it at the race. Well aware.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 2125 Next