Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:38 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
I've got about 5 carburetors to clean, and have not ever used an ultrasonic cleaner, but have heard that is the best way to get them clean now a days.

Anyone with experience that supports the somewhat high cost of getting set up?

I realize that the present day carb cleaning solutions are not real effective, tho I will go in that direction if someone has experienced that the consumer grade ($150 price point) ultrasonic cleaners do not work...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:34 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
you really need a combination of both. Brush and solvent to remove the heavy gunk and layered on grime. Then the ultra sonic to do the final clean and get the internal passages.
Warm water and Dawn dish soap make a fine ultra sonic solution.

If you are only going to do one, you are better off with the brush and solvent and using spray carb cleaner to flush the internal passages.

Last edited by DadTruck on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:52 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
I haven't done it, but I've read on another forum to use Pine-sol to soak the carbs...….

8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:11 am 
EFI Slant 6

I will try some pine-sol, and see how that works.. If The carb needs additional cleaning, then I may try the Ultrasonic route. I would rather not spend the $$ in what might be a single use tool.. Tho that may be rationalization b/c I am unsure how well it works, despite reading/hearing that it is the gold standard...

Thank You,
Jase

Last edited by Jase on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:22 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1973 pymouth scamp 225
I have also read on Motorcycle forums about using pinesol, most claim that knock off brands do not work as well and that it tends to react with brass parts. Other than that everything that I have read has said that it works better than todays carburator dip solutions. Of course I have never tried it before but if you do I am curious to the results that you have.

-Josh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:55 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
OK, chemist chiming in...ultrasound is a great "accelerator" to any cleaning solution. If you can get Berryman Chemdip or similar carb cleaner, you don't really need ultrasonic cleaning - they are really good at dissolving gums and residues on carbs. That said, California and some other states do not allow original formula carb cleaner formulations due to perceived toxicity. Ultrasonic cleaning is very good. If you can't get good solvents, or even if you can, ultrasonic cleaning will only add to their effectiveness. Ultrasound applied to any solvent cavitates and imparts extra energy to solvents to improve their cleaning efficiency. Final word, if you want to invest in an ultrasonic cleaning bath, you can't go wrong. Applying ultrasound to any solvent will vastly increase its solvating power.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:29 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I soak my carb.s in gas, in a 5 gallon bucket with a tight fitting lid.
Once done, I run it through a coffee filter, then in the lawn mower.
Rinse the carbs with carb cleaner.
Been doing it since the late 1970's with out issue.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:42 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I know this is a little late but I want to throw in my vote for pinesol. I had a half gallon of berryman that I did my BBD in but when it came time to rebuild the Rochester 4 barrel on my dad's Chevy it wouldn't fit in the can. So my options were to find a larger can and spend ANOTHER $40 for another half gallon of berryman or try the pinesol. I bought 2 gallons of pinesol and a large Rubbermaid container for under $20 and the whole carb fit just fine. I had to let it sit for an extra day vs the berryman and it was almost impossible to get it rinsed out completely but when it was all said and done it worked just as well as the berryman. Plus I was able to dump the pinesol out in the yard cause it's biodegradable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:43 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Also I didn't have to wear gloves or any ppe and as a side bonus everything smelled pine fresh. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:23 pm 
EFI Slant 6

/6 Matt wrote:
I know this is a little late but I want to throw in my vote for pinesol. I had a half gallon of berryman that I did my BBD in but when it came time to rebuild the Rochester 4 barrel on my dad's Chevy it wouldn't fit in the can. So my options were to find a larger can and spend ANOTHER $40 for another half gallon of berryman or try the pinesol. I bought 2 gallons of pinesol and a large Rubbermaid container for under $20 and the whole carb fit just fine. I had to let it sit for an extra day vs the berryman and it was almost impossible to get it rinsed out completely but when it was all said and done it worked just as well as the berryman. Plus I was able to dump the pinesol out in the yard cause it's biodegradable.

100% Pine Sol?

How long did you leave it in the sauce? I have done 12 hours so far on a 50/50% water-pinesol solution. It was good but not great, for getting the dirt off.. considering a re-soak when I get a new carb kit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
SlantMills wrote:
I have also read on Motorcycle forums about using pinesol, most claim that knock off brands do not work as well and that it tends to react with brass parts. Other than that everything that I have read has said that it works better than todays carburator dip solutions. Of course I have never tried it before but if you do I am curious to the results that you have.

-Josh

I have used the real Pine Sol brand on numerous carburetors, valve covers, you name it. It is a good "first cleaning" solution to use and will not swell O-rings or corrode anything, and it's environmentally safe enough to flush when finished. Then I follow it up with something a bit stronger once everything is disassembled.

Watch some of the mustie1 videos on YouTube as he uses carb cleaner in an ultrasound tank extensively. His carbs come out brand new looking.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:03 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
If I remember correctly I used straight undiluted pinesol. It took about 3-4 days of soaking to get it clean. It was only 1 more day than the Berryman took. They just don't make carb dip the way they used to.