Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:32 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: VC valiant regal
Hi guys, another question from the new to chrysler guy... I have a 67 vc valiant 225 which I think has a very mild cam, and Edelbrock 4 bbl carb of some sort (no idea cfm) and what looks like a stock intake with a 2bbl to 4bbl conversion plate?

Can Anyone help idetify what carb and intake I have on my motor, and also if these 1 1/4" Perry 3-1 3-1 extractors are any good?

Thanks heaps. Currently trying to workout how to post pictures!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:14 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1984 D100 Shorty Custom
Looks like a run of the mill 650 cfm Edelbrock. The model number is located on the base of the carb facing the front of the car, on the left carb mounting tab. It should have something like "1406" or "1405" on it. If you can find that number, you can look up it's specifications. The intake manifold itself would need to be extensively modified to accept a 4 barrel carb. Its more likely to be an aftermarket piece. There should be marks in the casting to indicate who made it. If there is a Chrysler logo on it, I'd be keen to see what the manifold looks like with the carb off!

Pertaining to the exhaust header, provided they aren't super long before the collector brings the pipes together, I can't imagine why it would be an issue. Most likely a very nice upgrade over the stock log manifold.

If you were in the states, I'd just tell ya it's all garbage and to ship it to me immediately... lol :lol:

~THOR~

Part of Tyrde-Browne Racing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:07 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Thanks for the reply THOR.

IS 650 cfm way too big for my set up? Thinking that may be why its pretty boggy and slow idle to 3500rpm....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:57 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
67regal wrote:

IS 650 cfm way too big for my set up? Thinking that may be why its pretty boggy and slow idle to 3500rpm....

In my opinion:

Not necessarily, as the primary throttle bores are doing all the work until airflow is fast enough to open the secondary side... SO, consider checking the tune up on the engine first before condemning the carb.. (I think the old saying is something like, 80% of the carb's problems are in the ignition)

it might be the carb, I am not saying it is the perfect choice, but lots of people throw parts at a car, with out bothering to verify, and adjust how they work... and any engine will run better if it is well tuned. .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:45 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Jase wrote:
67regal wrote:

In my opinion:

Not necessarily, as the primary throttle bores are doing all the work until airflow is fast enough to open the secondary side... SO, consider checking the tune up on the engine first before condemning the carb.. (I think the old saying is something like, 80% of the carb's problems are in the ignition)

it might be the carb, I am not saying it is the perfect choice, but lots of people throw parts at a car, with out bothering to verify, and adjust how they work... and any engine will run better if it is well tuned. .

Thanks Jase, good advice. Before I get a good tune, what's a good ignition upgrade?

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:39 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
What is on the small metal tag attached to the #1 header tube? That would likely say who made the headers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:22 am 
Board Sponsor

My guess is that it's a 1406 Edelbrock, which should be 650 cfm.

Quote:
IS 650 cfm way too big for my set up?

Is it too much? I would be willing to bet you can't flow enough air through that engine to use all of it's ability. Additionally, that's not a vacuum secondary carb, so when you open it past 1/2 throttle the secondaries start opening whether the engine needs it or not.

Quote:
Thinking that may be why its pretty boggy and slow idle to 3500 rpm....

Can you elaborate? Is it boggy from idle up to 3500 rpm, or is it boggy under 3500 rpm and also slow to return to idle?

Are you still running points in the distributor, or has the car been upgraded with Electronic ignition? Have you set the timing and adjusted the idle on the carb so it runs well?

~THOR~

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:24 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
THOR wrote:

Quote:
IS 650 cfm way too big for my set up?

that's not a vacuum secondary carb, so when you open it past 1/2 throttle the secondaries start opening

[

~THOR~

Yes the throttle plates on the secondary side are mechanical, but I believe the "air valve" or what ever it is called above the throttle plates is dependent upon ether vacuum or a weighted lever upon which airflow (somehow) pushes it open... so it is not really a mechanical operated secondary carb ether..

In any case check the ignition timing, spark plugs, Valve lash... putting a vacuum gage on it would not hurt... all with the intention of understanding a baseline, and then adjustments can be made..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:38 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
which should be 650 cfm

I believe they are 600. And yes they are mechanical secondaries but they do have the secondary air valve that opens upon enough air flow to overcome the weighted door.

A 500 will have better response and the only difference is in the booster diameter.

A 500 or 600 4 barrel is no different than a 2 barrel until you mash it to the floor. I have run both and well as a quadrajet on a bone stock engine with no major problems.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:02 pm 
Board Sponsor

I spaced the air valve... since it's buried further in than the newer ones where it's up top.

D'oh! :roll:

~THOR~