Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:15 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
75 Dart Swinger
Holley 1945 carb
So my car has been driving great for most of this year. Suddenly out of nowhere I went to start it and it started OK but seemed to be idling wonky. Then when I hit the gas to engage the kick down it just died and then I could hear gas coming out of the carburetor at the base. So I took the carb off and inspected it. There were two screws in the float bowl that were loose. So I tightened them down. I figured that was the issue. But when I started it up it did the same thing. It’s not a trickle it’s like an avalanche. The carb was rebuilt probably a year ago. The gasket on the bottom is still in really good shape. I’m totally baffled.
Here is a video moments after I started it and then killed it.
https://youtu.be/RvXAfV0kmOs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:22 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Did you inspect the fuel line?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:47 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
Batesy wrote:
75 Dart Swinger
Holley 1945 carb
So my car has been driving great for most of this year. Suddenly out of nowhere I went to start it and it started OK but seemed to be idling wonky. Then when I hit the gas to engage the kick down it just died and then I could hear gas coming out of the carburetor at the base. So I took the carb off and inspected it. There were two screws in the float bowl that were loose. So I tightened them down. I figured that was the issue. But when I started it up it did the same thing. It’s not a trickle it’s like an avalanche. The carb was rebuilt probably a year ago. The gasket on the bottom is still in really good shape. I’m totally baffled.
Here is a video moments after I started it and then killed it.
https://youtu.be/RvXAfV0kmOs

My first guess is a stuck open needle and seat .. or a heavy float that is allowing too much fuel in the carb. Too much fuel in the float bowl will cause fuel to do just as you picture. Did you rebuild the carb? There is a brass float available for the 1945 from Mikes Carb parts.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:37 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I cleaned needle seat assembly and tried with no luck. I had a spare needle assembly so I tried that. No luck. Same thing happened. I swapped the float with a spare I had. Same problem. Very strange. Could it be something related to the fuel pump?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:47 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
Yes it could be too much fuel pressure.... but It is not clear as to why that would suddenly increase all by it self... If you have a vacuum/pressure gauge it would be a good idea to give it a test.. and then you can rule it out as an issue...

I would tend to think the issue is in the float bowl "system"... BUT..... Such assumptions and what I assumed below, can lead one off track from making clear observations...

Can you determine where the gas is coming from? I made the assumption that it was coming out the throttle plate.... But maybe there is a crack in the main body of the 1945? That is to say can you get someone to crank the engine, and try to visually identify where the fuel is coming from?

Here is a bit more on the possibilities behind where the fuel is coming from about half way down the page: http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Troubleshooting.htm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:31 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I had a spare Carter carb that I switched out the Holley with and the problem followed.
So, a friend of mine who is a mechanic said he had actually had situations where somehow there was a blockage in the fuel return off of the pump that caused the fuel to back up in the carb. So I took the return line off the pump and blew some air into it (listening at the tank with gas cap off. It didn't appear to be blocked, although the shot of air may have dislodged it. So I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump and my problem was gone. I will never know if the fuel pump was the problem or if there was something that got lodged and broke free after I blew air into it. But she's driving fine now.