Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Bumper re choming
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:17 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant
I have a 64 Valiant that plan to have the bumpers re chromed. Has anyone had experience with doing this in the Minneapolis area and would share their results or recommend someone.

Post subject: Re: Bumper re choming
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:51 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I can't recommend anyone, but can tell you to stay far away from "The Bumper Boyz" out of Ca.(They go to a lot of shows, and are cheap, and that is exactly what you get). Quality sucks.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:37 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: '63 DeSoto Rebel
This (scroll down) is the newest version of this. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:14 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
No experience in the Minneapolis area; I Sent my 65 Dart wagon’s rear bumper and guards to Tri City Plating in TN. I was so pleased with the results I sent my 47 Dodge rear bumper (center, both ends and both guards that make up a rear bumper) to get done. After it came back, I saved up and sent the 47’s front bumper to them (also the same 5 pieces comprise the front bumper), my Dart’s rear bumper and guards was less than half of what either of my 47’s bumper cost! I would post before and after pics but the process is so complicated.

Retired USAF 1966-1986
Retired US Postal Service 2004-2014

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:30 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant
Thanks for the valuable information. I know I have close to 100 hours of body and engine work in the Valiant. It was my wife's dad's car so has some sentimental value. Last thing is the chrome and then should be ready for show.
I have found several reputable places in Mpls/St. Paul but nothing less than $1,000. The chrome job on the 69 Superbee was very nice. The Valiant bumpers are steel with some nicks and small dents so I would need to do some repair work first. I do have a headlight bezel that I repaired and spray painted with a can of O'Reily Chrome Finish. The spray can cap color looks totally different from the bezel after being sprayed. No way to get a shiny chrome finish from the spray paint. I could experient with the Killer paint on the bezel and then decide whether to have the bumpers chromed or attempt to finish them myself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:04 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I checked out their site and it seems they straighten the bumper and smooth imperfections as part of the rechroming process. Thanks for discussing this. I am about to get the bumpers of my `62 Valiant rechromed and I have been looking for a good shop.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:40 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
Many of the rechroming places do the dent/straightening work as well. NOTE: chroming the old fashioned way, electroplating with chromium salts is becoming more and more rare, as the salts are very toxic. Get your rechroming done while you can. There are still places that do it, but the prices are shooting up. I got my rear bumper rechromed a year ago and it was $300, today that would be $500 at the same place. I held out on the front one, and it is now cheaper to buy one from AMD than to rechrome my original, though my original is in pristine shape but for the chrome needing a redo. New method of rechroming is PVD (Plasma Vapor Deposition). It is actual chrome, looks fantastic, but it is REALLY thin, so they usually clear coat on top of it. Not old school electroplating which is much thicker.

brian