Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: mild super-six build
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:20 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
hi, everyone...

new to the forum. tho not new to slants, i've never done anything but revive a couple from sitting dormant, and keeping a couple of stock ones running. i super-sixed an old A108 with the help of a friend, but my experience is limited as to the inner workings of these things.

that said, i am now embarking on my first actual build. i have searched these forums, and have seen a lot of info. it's overwhelming to me the amount of info here, so i opted to make a post specific to my exact application for comparing and contrasting, and to elicit the opinions of those who know stuff.

here's what i have, and what i want to do:

1965 dart 170 wagon. it currently has a stock 225, A903, 3.23 gears. i have a 225 out of a '68 dart that i want to build. it would be mated to an A833OD out of an aspen, and i have an 8-3/4 sure grip (3.23) out of a '66 dart GT that i may install to improve durability.

my goal is to build a daily driver; an MPG car, but one that still keeps up in traffic, and is somewhat fun. i don't need to go fast. i was originally going to install a 360 in this to make it a bit of a hot-rod, but honestly, i'm addicted to these slants, and this is really what i have experience with. i had a '63 signet with a super-six and an OD trans that got around 25 mpg, and i want to imitate that set-up, but improve upon it (besides, my buddy needs a 360 for his '73 B300 maxi, and that's where that thing needs to be).

i am thinking of sticking with the stock super-six set-up (carter BBD). my signet had that when i bought it, and i put it on my A van. i know my way around this, and i feel like i don't need anything more. as far as exhaust, i may just go super-six spec, but i was thinking of doing headers or dutra duals. i guess that depends on other factors.

my main questions are concerning things such as a cam, oversized valves, and other headwork. i plan on keeping the stock bore, but i was thinking a super-mild cam, maybe some bigger valves, and possibly taking just a little off the head to raise compression slightly.

my understanding of cams is basic, and limited in comparison to what i have read here. though i know how they work, honestly, numbers and cam specs get lost on me, and i have a hard time disseminating the information, and making sense out of all of it. there also seems to be differing opinions on who to go to for for cams. i want mild, and i'm thinking a step up from stock.

i'd like specific pointers on cams, valves, headwork, etc, to achieve my goals. though i am no engine expert, i understansd that everything must work together, and i want to build my motor properly.

also, since my main goal is MPG, should i just rebuild my engine to stock specs? i feel as though i can improve upon stock, but i also know there is a fine line.

thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: mild super-six build
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:51 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Welcome! You've come to the right place. There are a lot of builds documented here that might meet your needs, and as for cam choices, there are several experts here to guide you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:56 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
You will be able to go several steps above stock on your cam and still have very good street manners, good fuel mileage and and a lot more power. Other cam gurus will step in here soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:19 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
thanks for the comments thus far.

i just invested in the new book, Chrysler Slant Six Engines: How to Rebuild and Modify, by doug dutra. i'm excited about this, as i've been reading his posts for years. i definitely have a lot to learn about all this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:11 am 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
The new CarTech book will be a big help.
We kept the book's focus on building a "street performance" engine so it will answer many of your questions and detail-out what should be done to meet your goals.

As you already know, cam selection is the biggest decision point and the cam you select will dictate many of the other engine build decisions.
Your MPG goals leads to a cam grind with good low-end torque and mid RPM performance. This is a "trade-off" issue and limits higher RPMs so think about the max RPM level you want for your new engine.
As an FYI, a "Super-Six" BBD is rated around 285 cfm so that limits a 225 to around 4500 RPMs. (depending on the engine's V.E.)
DD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:48 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1964 Dart 225/A833 3.55 9:1 CR .473 lift 500AVS
With the wagon you will need torque to get up and move, i would recommend the super six set up with 2.25 exhaust .100 cut off the head if it is stock (but please measure according to your motor) you should get to around 9:1 On the cam choice i would recommend oregon cam grind #84 262 Duration .446 lift if your using the later 4 speed with OD i would go for 3.55 in the rear. instead of 3.23. Should be pretty snappy. Also recurve the distributor to make it all come together. I get 20 Mpg Mostly street with a 225 4 speed 3.55 9.1 howards .473 Cam AVS 500 (Jets 0.86 Secondary 0.58, metering Rods 67x55) and i dont drive like a grandma.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:27 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Doctor Dodge wrote:
The new CarTech book will be a big help.
We kept the book's focus on building a "street performance" engine so it will answer many of your questions and detail-out what should be done to meet your goals.

As you already know, cam selection is the biggest decision point and the cam you select will dictate many of the other engine build decisions.
Your MPG goals leads to a cam grind with good low-end torque and mid RPM performance. This is a "trade-off" issue and limits higher RPMs so think about the max RPM level you want for your new engine.
As an FYI, a "Super-Six" BBD is rated around 285 cfm so that limits a 225 to around 4500 RPMs. (depending on the engine's V.E.)
DD

Will the book cover Aluminum block building? head porting?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:18 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
I keep seeing people talk about the new book as if it is out there....but all I see are Feb 15 release dates....?

I wouldn't change to an 8-3/4". Extra weight and power loss for no reason given your plans. I agree a steeper gear would be good but given the expense....probably not worth it.