Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:17 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1975 Plymouth Duster
Alright, so I finally got my 75 Duster's donor engine running on all six with fuel that is slightly less than 50% water, and have discovered that the trans fluid was also 50% water. Now it's a 50/50 mix. Obviously I need to flush it and replace the fluid, but the pan has no drain. I've heard that the torque converter has a drain plug, but is this all that's necessary to flush the whole thing? Planning to drive it to school on monday to fix various other issues I've caused so hopefully I can fix it before then.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:36 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
Oh, no. You're going to have to do what you're planning numerous times to really clear out the water.
Drop the pan to empty the trans body, and pull the plug, (if there is one), to drain the converter. I would advise you to install a drain plug kit into your pan at this time, then put things back together and refill your trans. You will have to top it off a couple times until the converter gets full while it's running.

Now, the biggest question. How did water get into your trans? Is this a "flood car"? If not, the only other way water can get into a trans is from the trans cooler built into the bottom of the radiator. (Well, unless someone purposely dumped water into it.) Do you see evidence of trans fluid in your radiator?

Something you might want to check out before you get too far into it.

Roger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:39 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Disconnect the cooler hose at the radiator, and let it drain into a pan. Start the engine in neutral (not park) with the wheels blocked. Add fluid thru the dipstick tube as the fluid pumps out the cooler hose, untill it runs clean. Works better, if you have a second person to put the trans in each gear for a moment, to flush the servos. Be aware, there is no fluid flow in park, and it takes quite a lot of trans fluid.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:28 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
If water has been in there a while, you will likely have quite a few problems with that transmission. If not now, then soon. There are a lot of sealing rings and other uncoated steel parts inside that will rust. If it only has water for a (very) short time, you may get lucky. Otherwise, it is just a matter of time before the trans fails.
jus sayin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:44 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Badvert65 wrote:
If water has been in there a while, you will likely have quite a few problems with that transmission. If not now, then soon. There are a lot of sealing rings and other uncoated steel parts inside that will rust. If it only has water for a (very) short time, you may get lucky. Otherwise, it is just a matter of time before the trans fails.
jus sayin

Yep. Plus the clutches don't like water. They never learned to swim :shock: :shock:

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:09 am 
3 Deuce Weber

GTS225 wrote:
Oh, no. You're going to have to do what you're planning numerous times to really clear out the water.
Drop the pan to empty the trans body, and pull the plug, (if there is one), to drain the converter. I would advise you to install a drain plug kit into your pan at this time, then put things back together and refill your trans. You will have to top it off a couple times until the converter gets full while it's running.

Now, the biggest question. How did water get into your trans? Is this a "flood car"? If not, the only other way water can get into a trans is from the trans cooler built into the bottom of the radiator. (Well, unless someone purposely dumped water into it.) Do you see evidence of trans fluid in your radiator?

Something you might want to check out before you get too far into it.

Roger

Uh, well...

I let the car sit for ten months in the rain. And the dipstick was loose. Good thing I have a second, known good trans!

Edit: from the front of the car, is the left rad cooler hose or right one the input?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:13 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
After all these years nothing is sure. Trace the lines from the trans. The line at the front of the trans is out, the line at the rear is the return.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:43 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Charrlie_S wrote:
After all these years nothing is sure. Trace the lines from the trans. The line at the front of the trans is out, the line at the rear is the return.

Neat, thanks. Should I get any more than twelve quarts for the flush?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:59 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
It is hard to say. What I would do is get 24 qts, with the understanding, you can return what you don't use.

PS: My method is basicly what the service shops do using their high dollar machine.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:26 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
If you leave the flushed ATF w/water set long enough, won't the water and ATF separate?

So after you have the old fluid/water mix out. Let the flushing fluid set , siphon off the new ATF, and flush again....

8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:22 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
You'll also want to drop the pan at some point to change the filter and clean the crud out of the pan. When I found strawberry milkshake in my Valiant's original transmission, the filter actually had mold growing on it!

Should that be done before the cooler hose drain and fill, or after? I would think doing the filter swap afterward would be more thorough, although it'll use more fluid.

If the transmission still shifts sloppily after doing this, make sure you do a band adjustment before throwing in the towel.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:47 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I always wait to change the filter until after flushing the fluid.
Otherwise you're just putting old, dirty fluid through the new filter.

It's a good habit to check the band adjustment any time the pan is off.

I too have seen moldy filters, and it always surprised me that it would grow in that environment.

"A mechanic is Somebody."
- Jim Preston