Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:10 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1985 Dodge D100
First time 225 owner here. I’ve done a lot of research before posting this, and have a question. I’m interested in the Chrysler ignition kits on eBay for my truck. I bought it running rough and hot. I cured the overheating and rough operation, but my ignition timing is blocked at 16°. I set it there because that what the decal states under the hood and it was WAY OFF. Problem is, someone before me hacked the ignition and the distributor will not advance it’s timing with RPM. Furthermore, it doesn’t have the little vacuum canister on the side of it; so no vacuum advance either. The vacuum line that I bet went to it has been plugged. I have a full time job and live on a farm, so I really can’t spend the time gathering the different components for a GM style ignition. The ones on eBay have the vacuum distributor, coil, ignition module, ballast resistor, wiring harness, plugs and wires. I really would prefer a plug and play set-up if there’s a better option than eBay. Truck runs good and pulls my hay trailer well even with a six foot bale in the bed, but the lack of advance bothers me. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:56 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
There are people better informed than me on the lean burn systems...maybe they will chime in. But in general, the course you are describing should would well. You don't state the price of the Ebay kits but assuming they are reasonable, they should be OK.

With no advance, I'm surprised it runs well at all.

If it was me....I'd set up the engine with around 20 degrees advance at idle* and 32 degrees at 2750+.

*20 degrees with the advance connected below the throttle plates (non-ported connection). Without the advance, I'd look for 12 degrees. That means you need to get a vac can that contributes around 8 degrees advance.

The benefit to this is you get a lot of advance at idle, which helps vacuum and throttle response. As soon as you open the throttle, though, the vac advance retards the timing to prevent pinging 'cuz 20 degrees is too much otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:54 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

The kits are about $230 plus shipping

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:21 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Your truck originally had a "lean burn" ignition system. You still have the remnants of it. You need to see what is left of the system. Stock, the lean burn distributor did not have a vacuum advance pod. All of the advance was provided by the computer. I recommend spending some time seeing what you still have on the truck before you make a decision about replacing the ignition system. I am attaching the factory service manual pages detailing how to work on a lean burn system. You will need to make sure all of the original sensors are present and hooked up, and especially that the ignition computer has a source of manifold vacuum hooked to the vacuum transducer on the computer. The computer is located behind or possibly under the battery. The lack of timing advance sounds like the vacuum hase has been disconnected form the computer or the vacuum transducer is bad.

If you decide to replace the ignition system, I would not use an eBay kit. First, new ignition modules are junk for China and very often don't work even new. Second, the distributor timing advance curve will not be even close to what you want in a truck.

For less than $230 you can order everything you need for the HEI conversion from Rockauto. It is actually easier to install HEI on a lean burn vehicle than to switch to Mopar electornic ignition. THe HEI swap requires no wiring modification and only requires attaching two wires to the coil.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by Reed on Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:36 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Reed that’s some great info, I appreciate that. All the “lean burn” components have been removed, even all the emissions parts have been junked before I got the truck. Fortunately, I live in a rural area where emissions are not required for registration. That being said, may I have a parts list from RockAuto for an HEI conversion? I bought a water pump, thermostat, fan clutch and radiator from them for my truck. I like that website. After what I’ve read, I don’t want anything to do with that confounded “lean burn” system anyway. Even though it’s my farm truck, I do need reliable transportation to work and a way to get hay back to the farm. We are working on our pastures at the moment and we will be buying horses. I’ll need this truck to pull a two horse trailer. Yeah, I could buy a new Dodge, but I like old iron, old iron has a soul hahaha. My tractor is a 1970 model and it plows my fields just as well as a new one. Just sayin...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:32 pm 
Supercharged

You would need a standard electronic ignition distributor, an HEI module, wire, the correct crimp on connectors, and a crimper. The wiring is very easy. The distributor gets connected to the HEI module, and the + and - HEI module leads get connected to the + and - of the coil. That's it. Make sure the body of the HEI module is grounded well.

You can use the part numbers in the HEI retrofit thread to get the parts. For the money, you are much better off getting a new old stock distributor from someplace like Old Car Parts Northwest.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:55 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Thanks for the help Reed. Can you point me in the right direction for that HEI thread? Is there a hyperlink, or is it one of the 34 articles on the Home Page here? Specifically, the Lean Burn Conversion article?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:31 am 
Supercharged

Every forum on the board has "stickies" at the top for "F.A.Q."s (frequently asked questions) or common topics. Go to the electrical forum and click on the "HEI retrofit how to" link. Or CLICK ME to be taken there directly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:23 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Thanks for that info, I printed the entire HEI post out, and reached out to OCPNW and left a message. I also called my local old school auto parts store in search of a distributor assembly. Just to make sure, I need ANY Chrysler 225 slant six electronic ignition distributor, single pick-up with mechanical and vacuum advance, correct? Some distributors have two wires and some have four. I need the one with two wires (single pick-up), correct? Sorry for the questions, I’m just new to a 225, and didn’t know about the ignition gremlins they had. Once I’m confident of my distributor choice, the rest should be smooth sailing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:28 pm 
Supercharged

Yes. You want a single pickup distributor. It will only have two wires. If you need to give an application to a parts person, tell them it is for a 1978 D150 with a 225. All slnt six distributors fit all slant six engines. You just need to find one with the right internals. I would try and find a NOS unit or a good used unit before i went with a parts store "new" one. The new distributors that have been coming out of China the last few years are really a crapshoot as far as quality is concerned. Some aren't even machined properly and won't fit in the block.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:29 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Ok I will. I still haven’t heard back from OCPNW yet, I called their number and Verizon said it was out of service.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:32 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dod ... butor,7108

This is a new one, what are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:12 pm 
Supercharged

I would go with an autoline remanufactured unit and be prepared to fine tune the timing advance curve. I won't buy Cardone products ever again after having been burned too many times.

But I like this one better:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/74-VARIOUS-DOD ... SwuMZZC3uI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:24 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Fine tune advance curve? Like manipulate the spring tension on the flyweight?