Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:05 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant
The valiant has a Bendix radio and dash speaker that has a tear in it. Radio works and not sure where to begin to find a speaker. Also would be nice to upgrade the speaker if possible and still match the wire connections. Any advice appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:05 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Go here and start shoppin'.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:38 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant
I did go to the website and did do some shopping. Thank you for putting me on to this. I am upgrading my old AM radio to a state of the art radio. Also replacing the old torn speaker with an awesome new speaker. Gary the owner answered all my questions and seems to be a really great guy. I would recommend him to anyone. Thanks again this really worked for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:26 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Years ago he did real good work upgrading my '62 Lancer radio for FM/AM and line-in (MP3, etc) capability.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:41 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I like this site, their product line, and method. If there is one thing I can stand it's digital radio dials lit in crazy colors in old cars made to fit into factory dash without modifications often advertised on MT TV etc.

I had the 67 Dart's 2.5 watt transistorized Music Master Am radio rejuvenated ten years ago. A shop located in HMN Services section, somewhere in up state NY, the company name now forgotten. I had the choice at the time to add FM, and a third input, but chose to restore back to factory AM only... Dumb move, hardly any AM stations in Bangor Me still broadcasting these days. Where it has original guts that were serviced back to life, it is now loosing its youthfulness and at times not working as it should. Go figure 52 year old electrical components, what could go wrong... probably leaking capacitors who knows.

Replacing the old guts with a modern circuit board, and reconditioned preset, tuner, and volume controls is the way to go. I'll be sending out the Dart's radio sometime this winter, and once the '67 IH pick-up truck project gets closer to being back together and looking like a truck, its radio will head off for a conversion as well.

It's interesting this shop won't work on digital, and cassette sets. I found a guy that worked on these sets manufactured into the 1990's. Perhaps it was ten years ago, that the 1982 Lebaron's Quartz Lock Precision series sound system with Dolby got sent off for reconditioning. It is same set that was used in the 1981-2 Imperials including a complementary Frank Sinatra tape, being first digital factory sets in used in US auto industry at that time The push buttons that tune to pre-selected stations and AM/AM selection tended to not return staying depressed. Turned out neoprene or like material was used as a return spring, and it had lost its suppleness from old age. I was not able to locate these little bits, and sent the set out for repair to a place also found in HMN Services section, also since forgotten who they were.

After a few weeks I got a call from the shop saying he was shipping the radio/cassette player back, and that he had a hard time locating a schematic to aid in its repair. He found Alpine made these sets for Chrysler, and it had very strong reception in relation to other sets, and he thought that these were one of the best factory sets used.

Thanks Dan for the tip.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:22 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1964 Dart 270
Do these radios draw enough current to cause problems in an otherwise stock 64 Dart? I may eventually convert to a voltmeter and get the current from going all through the bulkhead but curious if that needs done before one of these radios.

Brandon

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162600228@N03/