Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:34 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
wlockwood wrote:
the firing order is different from the usual automotive order.

Huh? Please share more details about this special marine firing order and cam. Never heard that the marine motors had different cams and firing orders.

Dunno about firing orders but have seen reverse rotation engines for marine use what def is a different cam....

Cheap, Fast, Reliable.... Pick 2...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:20 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
A conclusion here is needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:52 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dang a note from Wiki says: Although the vast majority of automobile engines rotate clockwise as viewed from the front, some engines are designed by the manufacturer to rotate counter-clockwise to accommodate certain mechanical configurations. In these applications, the firing order is shown in a reverse order (though it still starts with 1). For the most common inline configurations, this gives firing orders of 1-3-2, 1-2-4-3, and 1-4-2-6-3-5. In addition to the reconfiguration of the plug wires or injector tubes, the valve timing must be accordingly modified.

but dunno as the OP hasnt responded again... :?

Cheap, Fast, Reliable.... Pick 2...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:11 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Sorry I haven't responded but I have not had the time to get back to the car hopefully at least by this weekend I can find out what the problem is and get it running.

Ok I had some time to play with it and had spark coming from the coil and then reconnected it and had spark from a plug. I started cranking it again and nothing again I pulled the coil wire again and NO spark :shrug:

So why would this happen? Also I noticed that when I had spark the oil light was on when not cranking but ing. on and when there was no spark the oil light was off not cranking ing. on is this related or do I have a different problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:30 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Not sure but maybe a bad ballast resistor?

Post subject: Got her running
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:43 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Well I'll just say always check the placement of the spark plug wires when replacing the distributor cap :oops: . When I started the Super Six swap I also decided it was time for a major tune up so I picked up the usual plugs, dist. cap, rotor, oil and filters. The dist. cap I had bought was a different brand than what was all ready on the engine so when I used a reference point on the old cap to put the wires on the new cap the wires were 1 hole advanced. I found this out by bringing the #1 cyl up and checking the rotor placement thats when I found the wires to be in the wrong place. I then moved the wires to the correct place and she fired right up :D

Now I just need to put the evap hoses on, but the carb I have does not have a closed bowl vent valve housing it just has a flat plate where this part should be. The carb I have is a carter #2543 and it came with the Super Six set up I bought. Is this the right carb for this set up, can I get a bowl vent part for this carb and if I can't get the part and use this carb what do I do with the carb fuel bowl vent line from the evap canister?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Post subject: Re: Engine won't start
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:05 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 64 dodge dart
Back in 88 I had a Dodge A 108 Van and rebuilt the motor, bearings, rings etc. Could not restart. Everything checked out but would not start. Had mechanics come and try to get it going, nothing. A neighbor stopped by from across the street and I told him my dilemma. He gave me this solution ...
Take the plugs out. Place them in a shallow pan. Sprinkle lightly some gas on the plugs and set them on fire for about 45 seconds and immediately reinstall.
It will either kick over a little or start up. If it just kicks, repeat the entire process and it will start. I've saved many Darts and Valiants from the junkyard. Very unconventional but it works after any rebuild or head removal. Good luck to all who read this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: '63 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
Blustrb1, sounds like this process would be used to help clean up gas-fouled plugs. New plugs would have the same result.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:07 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
We used to take our plugs out, then put vinegar on them and sprinkle salt over them. Then we'd lay them out on the sun for a few hours.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: '63 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
GregCon wrote:
We used to take our plugs out, then put vinegar on them and sprinkle salt over them. Then we'd lay them out on the sun for a few hours.

Sounds like a mechanic's appetizer!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:47 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
voodoo! ...maybe, vinegar may clean them a bit (not much) but salt could (if it stuck to the plug) create a point for a hot spot...

I'm with the previous comment, they sound like remedies for fouled plugs, clean them up, should do the same thing.