Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:44 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
A written compilation of the information that CAN be found in this forum might be a good first step. There is lots here but one has to dig a good bit to find it. I think we could grow this forum if there were more a ready reference for slant six performance. Yes, I know about the engine build matrix but that's not what I mean. A guide that shows the relation between carburetor size, compression and cam timing, stall speed and gearing, etc would be more user friendly to some. Other forums have this type of thing.
Maybe linking the web address to uncle tony's videos in the comment section would be a start. He references Charlies Barracuda in the second part.

OK, I added the link in a comment on Understanding The Slant Six Part Deux. Maybe some new folks will visit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:47 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
So, basically, you all are talking about a Youtube version of Doug Dutra's book!

(I think he owns a copyright on it.)

Roger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:18 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Doug’s book has a lot of good information in it. But to reach an audience today, books only appeal to those that already have a strong interest. Electronic formats like YouTube broaden the exposure to folks with a causal interest. And if done right, cultivate the casual to a strong interest. Then those new fans with a strong interest will also buy the book. A win-win.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:41 am 
Turbo EFI

Uncle Tony himself "hearted" the slantsix.org link I added in the comment section of this video. I really don't think we are at odds with anyone here and should embrace the the interest in the slant six however imperfect it might be.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:28 am 
Turbo EFI

And now there is this:

"Uncle Tony's Garage
It's a great site, but there are a few things I've seen there that were absolutely cringe worthy. Well intentioned contributors, but it's kind of obvious that some of them don't really understand how an engine actually works. There is one guy there that deals in electronic parts that I would absolutely avoid at all costs. I've had first hand experience with one of his ignition systems that failed and cost a customer a short block. His response was to deny he had anything to do with it (even though photographic as well as "common sense" evidence was presented) and then ignore the customer from that point on. If you can take the "experts" on that site with a grain of salt, it can be a great resource for all things Slant "

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:50 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1984 D100 Shorty Custom
drgonzo wrote:
Well intentioned contributors, but it's kind of obvious that some of them don't really understand how an engine actually works.

So... basically just like every other site in the world... including YouTube :roll: :lol:

~THOR~

Part of Tyrde-Browne Racing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:31 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
He sounds like a big fan! :roll:

I reached out to him to invite him to the big Racer's Reunion at Clay City last year when he was making big claims about his swiss cheese Dart. He never replied after I tried 3-4 times.

I guess I'm one of the "well intentioned contributors that doesn't really understand how an engine actually works."... :|

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:32 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hmmmmm, could a dramatic 2020 showdown be coming? 100's of thousands of YouTubers can't wait'n see!!!!! :D :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:01 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
dramatic 2020 showdown

the equivalent of mud wrestling,

worth while only when the word 'bikini' is somewhere in the title.

Seriously the guy
* mis quotes facts known to folks that know the subject
** portrays what is known to those that know as new info to the uninitiated
*** appears to not monitor and take on a timely basis his ADD meds
**** does burn outs in the street as a method to impress the impressionable

reminds me of the recommendation;
'Never wrestle with a pig, you will both get dirty and the pig actually enjoys it'.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:46 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Seems my impression of him is pretty accurate. Toolbag. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:03 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

*** does burn outs in the street

When I was in ...5th Grade (?)....a few days a week one of the kids in our class would have his grandmother show up to pick him up. She'd stand at the back of the classroom for a few minutes until the bell rang. She was probably 65(?) and had a 65 year old's figure. She wore tight jeans tucked into her dingo-fashion boots. Smacking chewing gum the whole time. She wore a satin jacket, had her shirt tails tied in a knot. Think of Olivia Newton John in 'Grease'. Basically, she was dressed about 40 years too young. The kid...well, you could just see him slide down in his desk chair until you thought he'd melt into the lineoleum squares.

Anyway, that's the same way I feel when I see anyone over the age of 24 doing burnouts on the street.

Here's hoping Tony is 23 years old and it's just the chain smoking that makes him look 57.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:26 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
drgonzo wrote:
And now there is this:

"Uncle Tony's Garage
It's a great site, but there are a few things I've seen there that were absolutely cringe worthy. Well intentioned contributors, but it's kind of obvious that some of them don't really understand how an engine actually works. There is one guy there that deals in electronic parts that I would absolutely avoid at all costs. I've had first hand experience with one of his ignition systems that failed and cost a customer a short block. His response was to deny he had anything to do with it (even though photographic as well as "common sense" evidence was presented) and then ignore the customer from that point on. If you can take the "experts" on that site with a grain of salt, it can be a great resource for all things Slant "

Who here is an ignition system vendor? I thought most rolled their own HEI-based systems or used Pertronix? Or is this ancient history that no longer pertains?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:42 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Uncle Tony is not the first person to express unorthodox opinions and have subsequently been shuned. And yes I am using religious verbiage. He obviously is aware of Dutras 210, and mentioned Charlie's nitrous 170's. He just has a different view, based on his experiences.

I know if you take what is known as fact on this site, and express it on FABO. You will be told that is not true. Their experts don't say the same thing. And their's is more right.

Oh well, its all option until a time slip is produced.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:14 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

And that is why I don't go to FABO either.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:30 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
In reply to a mention of slantsix.org, WhitePunkOnMeth/Uncle Tony's Garage apparently wrote:
"Well intentioned contributors, but it's kind of obvious that some of them don't really understand how an engine actually works. There is one guy there that deals in electronic parts that I would absolutely avoid at all costs. I've had first hand experience with one of his ignition systems that failed and cost a customer a short block. His response was to deny he had anything to do with it (even though photographic as well as "common sense" evidence was presented) and then ignore the customer from that point on. If you can take the "experts" on that site with a grain of salt, it can be a great resource for all things Slant "

Uhhh…I'll take "Fairytales about make-believe people doing imaginary things that never actually happened" for a thousand, Alex! :roll:

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next