Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:08 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Hey, all. I initially installed a 833OD transmission into my /6 Demon and had to take it out after groaning and rumbling in all gears but 3rd(direct drive). Turned out to be a very worn input bearing that had worn the mainshaft also. I Had the input bearing replaced and researched a needle bearing that would work and fixed the. 15K miles later and the tranny is still going strong (Daily driver).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:11 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 65 Dart, 225, 4 spd od, hyd clutch, BBD, 2 1/4 exh
Annotated diagrams nicely done & crystal clear on a solution we all might face.

Thanks ...this is a keeper...........Don

1965 Dart 110k, 225, Carter BBD Super Six, 2 1/4 single exh., sbp manual scarebird front disc, 7 1/4 rear 2.94 sure grip, 14 x 4.5 OEM wheels, 833 OD with hyd. throwout bearing, HEI, electric fan, ram air/heated air, Accusump. http://plymouthcarclub.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:06 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
No issues with the transmission in the almost 2 years I've been daily driving the car.. 3 fluid changes (Lucas gear oil 75w80) and no metal either... Keep'n on, keep'n on... :) See y'all out there on the road this summer. Ronnie

, 71 Valiant S6, 72 Dart 4dr 318, 71 Demon S6, 70 Roadrunner 440, & 55 Dodge pickup

Post subject: Nice...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:01 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Nice to see a good fix for this, as I have one mainshaft with a galled nose that could use this to put together one more box.

Just out of curiousity, is there some data on what loads the bearing can take? Daily driving probably provides mostly a constant load on bearing and some intermittent impact during shifts, but since I've built my engines for max torque to move the heavier body around I'd be concerned on how this setup might take the load from a spirited clutch dumping episode and the hard shifts after that...

This should be added to the 4 speed article or set up as a sticky.

:)

-D.Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:09 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Quote:
Originally posted by RonnieB883
Hey, all. I initially installed a 833OD transmission into my /6 Demon and had to take it out after groaning and rumbling in all gears but 3rd(direct drive). Turned out to be a very worn input bearing that had worn the mainshaft also. I Had the input bearing replaced and researched a needle bearing that would work and fixed the. 15K miles later and the tranny is still going strong (Daily driver).

It would be nice if these photos could be put up again, possibly using Postimage.

Also, I don't think we're talking about the 'input bearing' here, that would be the big bearing around the input shaft. Rather, this is the bunch of rollers which make up the bearing inside the input shaft for the nose of the mainshaft.

I have a couple of A833s which I believe have this problem and I'd love to see the fix.

And can we also please have the bearing part number?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:54 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
I wish there was more support for the 833 o/d.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:13 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Brewer's and Passon's both rebuild and sell parts for the OD.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:49 pm 
Board Sponsor

slantzilla wrote:
Brewer's and Passon's both rebuild and sell parts for the OD.

Thanks Dennis. Now, if were an affordable kit to convert the o/d version to a four speed - I believe OEM parts to do this don't exist. I have 4 o/d versions, all pretty crusty with miles. At least I can rebuild them now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Now, if were an affordable kit to convert the o/d version to a four speed - I believe OEM parts to do this don't exist.

Just as cheap to buy a 1100 buck refurbished 833 box, by the time you get the correct parts together (mainshaft gears - $600+, matching countershaft cluster $$, matching input shaft $$)...
and a rebuild kit with new synchros and gaskets.... that's why the T-5 was the upgrade, at least there you can swap some gearing for better ratios and they are still available...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:32 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
There were shaft diameter & spline differences IIRC, they would have to be "conversion gears" to turn an OD into a conventional 4spd, so, yeah.......unless You want a project & the satisfaction of doing it, there are reputable builders that will save You time and really expense if You look at it.............

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:49 pm 
Board Sponsor

I know a kit would be expensive but I'm sure they'd show up at swap meets. A decent Chinesium gearset should be fine for a slant six. I know, not likely to happen. I find the o/d 833 fairly often in self service salvage yards.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:07 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Just to revert to what I asked before...

Could the pictures be put back, please?

I would like to try this fix as I have a couple of trannies needing it.

Is it possible to contact the original poster?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:07 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Hey, all. 6 years has gone by and I'm coming up on retirement from the Navy. I still have the Roadrunner and will get back to it. Shame that I've owned it for 21 years and only drove it for the first year. Lessons learned on taking a car fully apart in a month and not doing a proper inventory or making time to put her back together.... Anyway, I got to own several A-bodies in the meantime with smallblocks and Slant 6s. Unfortunately, I have lost all the pics for the tutorial. And, I'm a dummy for not typing out the part numbers in a post.... I don't figure it'd be hard to figure out what needle bearing was used on the mainshaft so stay tuned and I'll see what I can find. Ronnie

, 71 Valiant S6, 72 Dart 4dr 318, 71 Demon S6, 70 Roadrunner 440, & 55 Dodge pickup