Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Re: Weird problem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:46 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 78’ dodge D100 slant six
Joshie225 wrote:
It provides a second path through the bulkhead connector which is usually one of the worst connections in the harness.

Oh I see. Thanks for the help Joshie 225!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:29 pm 
TBI Slant 6

I have no idea what’s causing these problems anymore! Fed up! There is no voltage drop anywhere. New harness is perfect. No fuses are in nor and switches plugged in but the ignition. Will run and runs great, but the voltage regulator and alternator gets hot. Not sure how hot any of them ever was to begin with either so it could actually be normal. It’s putting out between 13.6-14.2 volts now. I can feel any wires getting hot nor are any smoking. The regulator gets hot to the touch but I can hold my finger there awhile before it’s to hot to handle. It’s possible I damaged the reg or alternator when the cable came off so I’m going to have them tested to be sure. This problem is driving me insane but I’m not one to give up...yet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:10 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Did you ever have the battery tested?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:38 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Joshie225 wrote:
Did you ever have the battery tested?

Yes. It tested better than new. I work at a battery place so they did a full test and it showed great.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:16 am 
TBI Slant 6

Well yesterday I tested it just to see what was going on. It did fine! I didn’t do anything different but just laid the regulator on the valve cover. It didn’t get hot at all. I do have grounds hooked up all over the place and alternator as well. This is confusing as anything I’ve ever seen. I’m going to try and put another ground in a loop to the engine ground and see what happens. Maybe my loop isn’t sufficient for what I have.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:50 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Do not create ground loops if you can help it. The grounds should go to as few locations as possible. The battery negative should go to the engine block and the chassis. The alternator should be grounded to the engine block. The regulator should be grounded to the firewall. The regulator laying on the valve cover probably kept it from working and without doing its job it had no heat to dissipate.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:43 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Joshie225 wrote:
Do not create ground loops if you can help it. The grounds should go to as few locations as possible. The battery negative should go to the engine block and the chassis. The alternator should be grounded to the engine block. The regulator should be grounded to the firewall. The regulator laying on the valve cover probably kept it from working and without doing its job it had no heat to dissipate.

Thanks for all the advice. The regulator did work while it was laying there. Today I bypassed the ignition on to the regulator and ran the wire straight to the battery for a test. It did not go past 14.4 volts. It did go up and down to 13.8/13.9 and everything was warm, not hot. After I install a few relays here and there I hope this issue will be fixed. I will also put in a regular volt gage to make sure. I am going to run it awhile a few days here before I road test. Thanks everyone for all your help. It has not gone unnoticed.