Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Re: Robert DiBiase EFI
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:02 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Will someone be able to confirm the flow and ohm rate of the injectors Robert has used .
From what i can find they might be 200 flow and 16 ohm.
I have found some VP Commodore (Australian car using the Buick 3.8L V6) injectors but they are 200 flow and 15 ohm.
I am using the same ECU that Robert used so i am wondering if the different ohm rate will cause problems.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:49 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The injectors that I used before installing a turbo were Bosch P/N 0280-150-217. These injectors flowed approximately 200cc/min @ 3bar and are high impedance at 16 ohms. Fuel injectors come in two types, low impedance (1-5 ohms) and high impedance (12-16 ohms). Based on the high impedance range I would assume that 15 ohms would work fine, but I’m not sure. I believe the only difference would be the current draw which would be 0.80 amp for the 15-ohm injector and 0.75 amp for the 16-ohm injector.
Bob D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:16 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks BobD , i just learned something else today .

DRIVE IT,DON'T HIDE IT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:16 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Hi Bob! Nice to see you on here. Is the car still running and serving you well?

All the best,
Lou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:16 pm 

Car Model:
Hello Lou,
Good to hear from you. I always enjoyed your posts. Yes, I’m still driving my SL6 Barracuda, although at present I’m having the engine professionally rebuilt and balanced at J&M Machine here in MA.
You can go to https://bangshift.com/general-news/car- ... -drop-top/ to read a write-up that someone put on that site about my car a couple of years ago. He was off on a few details but basically had the correct story.
Bob D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:21 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Cool story. Enjoy the drive and don't be a stranger here!

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:52 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Bob D wrote:
The injectors that I used before installing a turbo were Bosch P/N 0280-150-217. These injectors flowed approximately 200cc/min @ 3bar and are high impedance at 16 ohms. Fuel injectors come in two types, low impedance (1-5 ohms) and high impedance (12-16 ohms). Based on the high impedance range I would assume that 15 ohms would work fine, but I’m not sure. I believe the only difference would be the current draw which would be 0.80 amp for the 15-ohm injector and 0.75 amp for the 16-ohm injector.
Bob D

Bob , what injectors did you use when you installed your Turbo ?
Also , where is the breather at the back of your rocker cover running to ?

DRIVE IT,DON'T HIDE IT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:57 pm 

Car Model:
Hi Greg,
When I first noticed your post, it was the second page and I didn’t realize that there was a first page. So, I’ll now try to answer the questions that you asked there. Please keep in mind that with the addition of a turbo this project has evolved over the past 20 years and I may be a little rusty on some of the initial details before I added the turbo.
I think you may be confused about the fact that initially I did not use the ECM to control my ignition. I used my original ignition only along with an MSD 6A ignition box. This is all you need for the ECM to control fuel injection. The MSD 6A ignition box is needed to provide a square wave signal to the ECM. The ECM can only detect a square wave signal and needs to know the engine RPM to determine how often to fire the injectors. So, you don’t need the GM ignition module. I included it in the write-up as an option if you want the ECM to control both fuel and ignition. Initially I used the ECM to control only fuel and for that reason the GM ignition module it is not shown in the wiring diagram. It wasn’t until I installed a turbo that I used the GM ignition module and had the ECM control both the fuel and ignition. That would be a different wiring diagram.
As far as the potentiometer in the temperature sensor circuit, I did use that for a number of years. Mostly because I had no place to install the GM temperature sensor. The Chrysler sensor has a different temperature vs resistance curve than the GM sensor and would not work with the GM ECM. However, I later installed a larger radiator that had a location for a sensor in the top tank. I used that for the GM sensor and found that the car started quicker when hot. It was always a bit of a guess where to set the potentiometer.
I don’t know anything about the VN/VP Commodores 3.8L V6's. However, if it doesn’t have a MAF sensor you then have a speed density set-up and would have to program the ECM on the donor car for it to run properly with a SL6. If it is a speed density ECM it won’t work with a MAF sensor.
For the ground wire from the MAF sensor just run one wire to ground but also ground D1. Then connect D1 to D3, D6, D7, D10, D12, D13. A12 and B3 are also connected to ground
The oil pressure switch is a fuel pump safety switch. In this application this switch does not serve as a safety switch. It does not turn the fuel pump off with a loss of oil pressure. The ECM performs that safety function because it turns the fuel pump off when it no longer senses a tach signal. Rather, this switch keeps the fuel pump running in the event that the fuel pump relay fails, and in this way takes the place of the oil pressure switch that GM used in parallel with the fuel pump relay for this purpose. This is a “belt and suspender” approach and is good insurance. You can imagine what would happen if you were on the highway, in the passing lane, when the relay failed and you didn’t have this back-up system. Of course, if the fuel pump relay were to fail you would not be able to start the car again once it was turned off. I used a Mr. Gasket fuel pump safety switch from Jeg’s (www.jegs.com) P/N 720-7872, $20. And yes, it has three terminals.
The fuel injector harness has three wires going in. One wire from the 12-volt source and the other two from the ECM. On the other side of the harness six pairs of wires go to the injectors. One wire in each pair is 12-volts so there is always 12-volts applied to each injector. The other wire at each injector goes to the wires coming from the ECM which are either grounded or not. The ECM internally makes and breaks ground depending on whether the engine is running and at a rate dependent on the engine RPM. The injectors are fired alternately in groups of three.
The pin out of the ECM is shown in the write-up just before the wiring diagram.
The turbo injectors are Bosch P/N 0-280-150-218
The breather just goes to atmosphere.
I hope all of this helps.
Bob D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:14 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Bob , thanks for all that info and for your original write up years ago .
It may be a while before I get this done , collecting parts at the moment .
I got the ECU you used in from the states along with the double row terminal strips .
I have a friend working on the fuel rail for me .
Most other parts I can get here in Australia .
Looking for ward to doing some double row skids when I get this done :shock:

DRIVE IT,DON'T HIDE IT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:22 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart
If you want a tiny GM temperature sensor, order one from your local parts store for a 2000 Saturn SC2. These are a 1/8" NPT thread, and have standard GM calibration. It's easy to drill an extra hole for one in the cylinder head behind the thermostat housing. That's what I'm using on my build.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:44 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
More info , thanks for that .

DRIVE IT,DON'T HIDE IT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:18 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Bob , where are you running the PCV line to ?

DRIVE IT,DON'T HIDE IT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:49 am 

Car Model:
If you look at the second engine bay photo at https://bangshift.com/general-news/car- ... -drop-top/ you will see that the PVC valve goes to the air intake duck work before the Mass Flow Sensor. It should be before the MAF sensor or this will introduce “false air” that the ECM won’t use for it’s fuel air calculations.
Bob D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:06 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
The idea of plumbing oily crankcase vapors into a mass airflow sensor raised a red flag for me. I went and looked at the air intake system of my 1994 Corvette and saw that nothing but filtered ambient air is ducted into the MAF sensor. Removing the fuel rail covers of the LT1 I could see that the PCV valve is mounted in the left side of the intake manifold and has a short U-turn of a hose to carry the vapors from the crankcase side of the manifold to the plenum. The right-side valve cover has a tube that carries air and crankcase vapors from/to the throttle body. This means that air introduced to the engine by the PCV valve first goes through the MAF and then into the crankcase. This keeps un-metered fresh air out of the intake system and oil out of the MAF sensor.

The link below is a picture of the PCV valve plumbing. Please excuse the brake booster and cruise control lines. You can see the PCV valve grommet under the small vacuum line, but not the valve itself.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bVhXK- ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:35 am 

Car Model:
It did initially occur to me that the oil vaper might be a problem. However, this is how I’ve had it for close to twenty years without a problem. I do use MAF cleaner (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CRC0561 ... ocQAvD_BwE ) occasionally. That is always a good idea anyway.
I’m not sure I completely follow your description of the Corvette system or how to implement it on a SL6 without introducing false air. I am open to suggestions however.
Bob D