Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: valiant 65
Newbie here ! Would like to know were to start when we modify a 225 , step by step!!! I am ok with v8 recepies etc but..a slant 6 i a different animal.! Would love to start knowing about them , just dont want to trow it out and swap it with a v8...not again !

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:43 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
Well, you could start with the articles section off the home page; http://www.slantsix.org/articles/articles.htm

It might be advisable to order Doug's book; viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62740&hilit=Dutra+book

There's a few nice recipes in his book, and quite a bit of info in both the book and the articles.

Roger

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:36 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Welcome to the site! Sounds like a fun project. Where are you located? Please tell us more about what you would like to accomplish with your build and what is your rough budget.

Cheers,
Lou

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:56 pm 
1 BBL (New)

I already own a fj6 sassy grass 1971 cuda that needs to be finished , and i am a young dad with a very limited budget and wasnt planned to buy any car etc , but saw a shell of a 1970 for sale with doors and trunk 10 mins away from my home and he was asking 300$ so i jumped at it , wanted to sell it at first but i saw that it was 1 of 482 cars , deputy challenger, base model , blue with black and white interior and a 225 and 3 speed manual.....i couldnt resist , its badly rusted , needs everything but amd makes all the sheet metal so..i am positive about this, just need to be very very patient !

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:34 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
What we want to know is, do you want it to be FAST or do you want it to be spirited driver/cruiser that runs and sounds good and turns heads when you pop the hood or do you want a nice reliable stock rebuild? There is no wrong answer and there are lots of guys here that can and will help you.
Welcome to the board.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:59 pm 
1 BBL (New)

To be honest...i want a 225 that kicks ass , but that is dead reliable too...thats what i really want , i have a 360 roller crate engine in the cuda to make a cruiser , but i want the 225 challenger to be a monster !i would like a big step by step ..it looks very different to v8s performance wise...

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:15 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
Hmmmm. Whaddaya think, guys? A long rod motor with a healthy cam and single four?
A fairly simple and straight-forward build, as far as the power plant.

Roger

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:22 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
challengerA93 wrote:
To be honest...i want a 225 that kicks ass , but that is dead reliable too...thats what i really want , i have a 360 roller crate engine in the cuda to make a cruiser , but i want the 225 challenger to be a monster !i would like a big step by step ..it looks very different to v8s performance wise...

Well, you can make power by RPM or by cubic inches. Cubic inches are on the small side, even with a 225. Further, the fact that the cylinder head and valves were originally designed and sized for a 170 doesn't help. To make "monster" power you are going to have to spin the 225 at higher RPMs, so the most gains will be had inproving flow through the head. Porting and oversize valves should probably be considered necessities.

Another way to get some cubic inches is to try Docor Dodge's rewelded stroker crank recipe. See HERE.

Then you need to decide if you want it naturally aspirated or forced induction. "Dead reliable" tends to indicate naturally aspirated. If going naturally aspirated, you will need to pick you cam, piston, connecting rod, and crank, take the necessary measurements, and then build the motor to have a DYNAMOC compression ratio of about 8.1:1.

Other gains can be had through careful parts selection. For example, if you are going with new pistons, get some with thinner rings to reduce internal friction.

Then you get to externals, like two or four barrel carb, free flowing exhaust, ignition system upgrades and tuning. There is too much to pack into a single post describing everything, but all of these steps and considerations have been discussed in ecrutiating detail on theis board in years past. The search button is your friend, and the FAQ stickies at the top of each section are ven bigger friends.

Good luck, and keep us posted how your build goes!