Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:54 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1985 Dodge pick up
I am new to Slant Six engines and your forum. I am working on building a fun truck to drive to work daily. The truck has a factory manual transmission and lean burn system. So this is what I have done so far. I fabricated a 2 1/2" mandrel bent exhaust. I used a cherry bomb vortex 1 in 2 out muffler. I am very happy with the sound.I purchased a pertronix igniter 2 ignition and matching coil,still need to install. I also just bought a carter BBD 2 barrel,still need to install. I will be bypassing some of the lean burn system. I have noticed some here are for leaving the lean burn alone. I want to tinker on this truck so no lean burn for me. After all that here is my question. I am thinking about installing a performance cam. Can someone give me an idea what I will need to disassemble to install a slant cam?

Thank you

RRRed

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:21 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
If the engine is an '85 it should have a hydraulic cam. Here is an article on in-car cam swap. http://slantsix.org/articles/in-car-cam ... review.htm Keep in mind that you will need to adjust your compression ratio to compliment a performance cam. Here is a compression calculator. https://uempistons.com/p-27-compression ... lator.html
Read this section as well: viewtopic.php?t=23314
A boost in compression with a re-curved distributor will give a noticeable power increase even with the stock cam.
Ask lots of questions. There are many knowledgeable and helpful people here.
Happy slanting.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:14 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
What distributor do you propose fitting with the Pertronix? You need a distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance to get away from the Lean Burn computer.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:17 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
there is no "bypassing SOME" of the Lean burn. its all or nothing. and I know of nobody here on the forum, that is "for" keeping the Lean Burn.
just did the same with my 85 D150.....
and I spose I could swap my cam in my original engine and just do up the head..... but I do have another slant on a stand, that I am going to build up to swap in...eventually.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:18 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
To replace the samshaft on a 1985 slant six, you will need to remove the timing cover and timing set, oil pump, distributor, and almost certainly the cylinder head. The later cylinder heads make it difficult to remove the lifters from the lifter gallery, so the head usually has to come off. You should have plety of room to install the cam in the engine if you remove the radiator and grill.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:54 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Just an idea (I haven't done it)

I'd try to make a gizmo with my shop vac and some tubing (Hexapus) to suck the lifters up out of the way before removing the head...…………….

8)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:17 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
The hydraulic head was redesigned to allow the lifters to be removed with the head installed. It's only the peanut-plug head that traps the lifters. I'd pull the head though to check the valves, seats and compression ratio. Changing the cam without increasing the compression ratio will leave a lot of performance on the table.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:48 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Hmmm. Been a while since I looked at a hydraulic head. Trust Josh on that point.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:57 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1985 Dodge pick up
Thanks for everyone's input. I did change the distributor with a 1979 unit with vacuum advance. I installed a petronix 2 ignition including coil. I was also leaning toward the Huges whiplash cam. This cam increases cylinder pressure without milling head. This cam has been around for V8's, but is fairly new to slant six. I expect many differing opinions with any cam selection. I found a really clean carter BBD 2 Barrel from a 1973 318. I plan to rebuild that. I am also thinking about rotating the carb mounting 90 deg. My stock intake is aluminum so I will modify to fit the bbd. A question on the lean burn does that system have anything to do with the charging system?

Thanks guys
RRRed