Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:32 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
74 Scamp, 225 - I have two small lines/hoses that run from the radiator to a round "canister" mounted on my cylinder head. It is 3 1/2 inches in diameter and 1 1/4 inch thick. There is a third hose coming out of this "canister" but I don't know where it goes. There are some ports on the carb that are blocked off, and it looks like it could go onto a small port on the front of the carb. Can someone give me some direction here, or better yet, maybe post a picture. I don't have a digital camera, so I can't post a picture so you can see it. Also, I really need to get a manual for this car. Give me some ideas of what to look for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:07 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
These hoses and that canister are part of your car's exhaust gas recirculation system. The canister (looks like a hockey puck on its edge) is the vacuum amplifier. One small hose goes to a small fitting on the carburetor, one small hose goes to the EGR valve, and the larger hose goes to manifold vacuum. The hoses near the radiator attach to a coolant temperature sensing device in the radiator's top tank. The plugged-off ports on the carb are involved, too. It's not possible to describe in words accurately where each hose connects; you really do need the vacuum hose diagram -- in fact, you really need a factory service manual. They're readily available on eBay and should be your first "tool" purchase, not your last. Perhaps someone on the board here will scan in the relevant '74 FSM pages for you, but you should still get the manual for yourself. (a Haynes, Chilton, etc. won't get the job done, make sure it's a factory manual you get). It doesn't matter whether you get a '74 Dodge/Dart or a '74 Plymouth/Valiant factory manual; the contents are identical. The '74 factory manual is a 2-volume set.

Depending on where you are located (emission tests?) and what your car's exact configuration is, you may or may not want/need to reinstall the EGR system.

Post subject: Vaccum hoses
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:50 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
SlantSixDan - thanks very much. I appreciate the info and will look on e-bay for the service manual. I do need one. I just got her fired up and she purrs like a kitten. Not sure how it drives yet - some hesitation off idle, but she starts and idles good. Idle drops, of course, when put in gear (auto), but still runs smoothly. No leaks, yet, either (knocking on wood). I need to figure out what the rest of those carb ports are for. I did get a picture from another member, but can't print it out here at home. I forwarded to my work address and can print it out tomorrow and start there.

Thanks for the help and inof.

dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:49 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
One thing you'll definitely want to do is bypass the OSAC valve. This is located on the air cleaner housing (or if yours is an early-production '74, on the firewall), and has a hose running to the carburetor and a hose running to the distributor. Rework the hose routing so that the hose runs directly from carburetor to distributor. Your acceleration will get MUCH smoother and stronger.

Glad to help,

DS

Post subject: Vaccum lines
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:06 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
DS, thanks once again for the info. It's already set up that way - at least there is only the line running from the carb to the distributor.

dave