Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:26 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Can someone please tell who makes wheels with a 5 X 4" bolt pattern? I have searched and only found that Cragar (with its amazingly expensive SS series) and YearOne ( with the also amazingly expensive stock rally wheels) carry anything in that size. I am on a budget and would like to know what my options may be. Also, what other cars will interchange with my 1971 duster? Please help me out here since every employee I've talked to hasn't even heard of a 5 X 4" bolt pattern!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:16 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
Not all that great of news for you. The 5-on-4" pattern was used on all A-bodies from '61 until '75 or '76. ('73 and later, disc brake A-bodies had 5-on-4.5")

As far as I know, the aftermarket selection in wheel is rather slim. Weld offers it on thier "Draglite", Cragar has it, (as you found out), I think Wheel Vintiques does the pattern on a couple, but that's about it.

You could do a large bolt pattern change-over and really open up the possibilities.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:29 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I've seen stock rallies and Aluminum "slots" frequently on E-bay in the 5 x 4" pattern. There is also adapters that let you put 5 x 4.5" (big bolt pattern) on your car. I bought a set of these for my '64 Dart. I could not use the front ones 'cause my drums had external weights that interfered with the adapter mounting flush. I don't know if all front drums have these on them. The ones for the rear worked fine with no problem. You can find those on E-bay as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:39 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I just got back from hot august nights' swap meet in Reno Nev.
I spoke with the guy from Stockton Wheel Co. I told him that I wanted to keep my 10" heavy duty finned front brake drums ( I think that they are very cool looking, and they stop this lightweight car just fine) They happen to be the 5 x 4 pattern) Since I only want chrome rims and baby moon hubcaps. He is going to take the centers out of my wheels and make some 15 x 7s for my rear and leave the fronts 14 inchers. That coupled with an added rear spring and a little (3 inch re-arch) of the rear springs is going to give me the look I want for my 75 Dart. I don't know if this is anything that can help you. But it may be worth doing an online search of the company I mentioned and maybe a phone call to them. I think that anything is possible, it just depends on how much money that you are willing to spend.
I am just going with chrome rims because I can't see putting thousands into a 1975 Dart hard top. (my poor mans street rod)
Hope this can be of some help.
Chas///

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:28 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Duster_Nova wrote:
I am on a budget and would like to know what my options may be. Also, what other cars will interchange with my 1971 duster?

If you're on a budget and just want something to dress up your car without a lot of expense you are pretty much limited to older, used wheels from a swap meet or friend, etc.

There are small bolt Rallye wheels, chromed steel wheels, Cragar "Center Line" wheels and slotted "Mag" wheels floating around at various shows and swap meets.

With so many people going with the larger bolt pattern options there are more and more small bolt wheels being taken off and set aside. You probably won't find anything other than 14" ones unless someone did something like Chas suggested and then later upgraded to the larger bolt pattern.

Check out the North Georgia Mopar Club website http://www.northgeorgiamoparclub.com/

They have a monthly newsletter and lots of parts ads. It's all available on their website.

14x7 SBP vintage aftermarket alum rims w/ new center caps. $250 Mike Z. 770-228-3629 before 9pm. (08/05)

SBP means Small Bolt Pattern (5 X 4") and these are probably the slotted mag type wheels.

That's the only one I saw for this month, but keep checking back. Mike Zappia is a good guy and there are lots of other good folks in NGMC that surely have what you're looking for.

The most common ads you will see are for this aluminum type or the Rallye wheels. The only cars that used the small bolt pattern wheels are the early A bodies (Dart, Duster, Valiant, etc.)

I won't try to confuse you with the option of using later FWD (Front Wheel Drive) wheels. The wheel might fit the lug pattern, but you'll have off-set issues (wheel sits too far in and rubs the frame or leaf springs)

I would also highly recommend joining the club or some other Mopar or All Make club in your area. By getting involved in a club like that you will meet folks with similar interests and lots of knowledge about your car and others like it.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with!

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:23 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Some import and late model wheels use a 5 x 100 mm bolt pattern that's pretty close, but the offset is wrong. Still, if you find one with about 4" of backspacing or less, you may be able to use it. If it's aluminum, you can have a machine shop modify the bolt pattern a little using a countersink and ream the center register to the correct size so it would work perfectly (except for some tire scrub issues with the offset).

Then there's a couple choices for steel wheels. Diamond Racing and Stockton Wheel can both put together steelies in a variety of styles and sizes. Diamond caters to circle track and road racers, but their wheels are likely to be cheaper. Stockton is often more street oriented and offers a wider choice of styles.

And any company that offers billet wheels can make them in any bolt pattern you ask for. Center Line and Colorado Custom are two that could work. Of course, if you think a Cragar S/S is amazingly expensive, wait till you see the prices for this.

Post subject: Local shop?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:03 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
You might also check via word of mouth for who can do the "resizing", there might be a company near you that does this work for racers and enthusiasts.
When I get home I have a set of 14x6 Rallyes that I'll take up to Portland and have them made into 15x7's...at $30 each (prices may have gone up while I've been gone but it sure beats $100+ a rim in some cases).

good luck,

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:17 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Summit has the small bolt pattern Rallyes for less than $100 apiece. Brand new, that's about the cheapest you're gonna find.

VM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:35 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
DO NOT USE the 5X100mm metric wheel on your SBP Mopar!!! The holes may fit over the lug studs, but it is NOT RIGHT!! You will have problems with lug nuts loosening, battering the holes out a bit, and quite possibly loosing a wheel at speed.

Please don't "hack" your car together. You are also responsible for the safety of that family in the mini-van, too.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:51 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
4", 101.6mm, thats a 0.8mm difference per hole? Theres probably that much tolerance in manufacturing, and easily that much in how much the metal will give.

I haven't tried it, but if I had some 5x100mm wheels I'd give it a whirl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:27 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Some stock rally wheels here

Some with tires here

Some 14x7 "slots" (in Florida) here

Some 14x6 "slots" from the same seller here

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:35 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Duster_Nova wrote:
Please help me out here since every employee I've talked to hasn't even heard of a 5 X 4" bolt pattern!!!

In the old days, the 5x4" pattern was also known as the BVD pattern. It is not surprising that somebody hasn't heard of something that hasn't been used since 1976.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:51 pm 
[4", 101.6mm, thats a 0.8mm difference per hole? Theres probably that much tolerance in manufacturing, and easily that much in how much the metal will give.

I haven't tried it, but if I had some 5x100mm wheels I'd give it a whirl]

I did that once a long time back when I found some Fiat wheels to "fit" my Holden (Aussie GM model).
The wheel studs kept snapping, possibly due to fatigue caused by slight flexing.
Please don't try it yourself!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:54 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I have found 5x4" steel wheels used as spares on some of the 5x100mm cars.

Post subject: /SBP Rallyes's
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:52 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I have 2 sets of SBP Rallyes and would be open to selling a set. Am in VA.