Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:17 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Hi..
A friend of mine just told me today that he found a Clark motorhome with a 225 cid. Chrysler Industrial slant 6 engine in a junkyard nearby here in PA. :o Does this setup have any special carb/intake/exhaust features that are better than the stock passenger car set up's?Any info on this one ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:41 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Unique external components are intake manifold (hogged out at the outboard end for a side-mount carb), carburetor (side-draft Carter YH as used on certain Chev Corvairs), air cleaner (remote-mount to accommodate horizontal carburetor) and valve cover (ventillation nipple on side rather than top). The Cortez had very little headspace above the engine, so this "low profile" induction setup was used. These components aren't better, they're just different from the passenger car equipment, and are probably the primary reason why the industrial engine in this application was rated at 127 horsepower rather than the 145 horsepower rating of the car and truck slant-6s. I have been looking for one of the Cortez intake/carb/air cleaner setups to play around with, photograph and document, but haven't found one for sale yet (maybe the setup your buddy found is available?).

Other differences in the engine installed in the Clark: Different accessories (starter, alternator, etc.), shot-peened crankshaft (extra toughness on top of the slant crank's already excellent ruggedness), positive valve rotators and Stellite-faced exhaust valves on most of them (without leaded gas, this valve setup gives rapid seat recession because the seats are unhardened), a double-roller timing chain and a few other inconsequential differences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:26 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I saw one of these setups (side draft carb & manifold) for sale at the spring fling and didn't know what it was !!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:26 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
i sure would like t find one of the side draft intakes...got an idea that would allow it to be used...anyone got one? GRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:30 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Dan, I'll be rebuilding the motor in my Cortez this summer. When I do, I'm planning on using a 2 or 4bbl manifold and a weber 32/26 DGV or the new 34/34 DGEC. I know I'll have to raise the doghouse to do it but I think more power is more important than maintaining the stock look. I like this setup for reliability, power and fuel economy. Is there a better carbureted combination you'd recommend? I'd want the old setup to be in good hands, so maybe we can negotiate a trade when the time comes.

-Moose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:34 pm 

Car Model:
Truthfully, I haven't (yet) experimented with the DGx(x) carbs. I'm moving closer to trying it out, but it wouldn't be fair of me to just throw out a guess, would it! Others who've tried 'em seem to like 'em, and Argentina-Slantsixer seems to have access to brand new carbs of a variant form of this type; you may want to check with him.

A good home for the old equipment: I promise to take the manifold for a walk every single day! :lol: Seriously, yes please, do contact me, thanks.

Post subject: Clark Cortez w/ a Slant
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:09 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Hi All...

I went to the yard today to see it for myself. First of all, there was no air cleaner on it. The carb was there. It is a carter(BBD?) 2 barrel! Looks kinda stock, but it could be a intake from a Super Six. After going through a bunch of garbage in the back, I found the weird looking air cleaner set up. It is a metal bonnet that fits nicely over the carb and then bends downward into what looks like a shop-vac filter in a mesh cage! I did manage to get that setup, but I could not remove the intake and exhaust manifolds before the yard closed. 2 of the heads round out too :cry: . If there is anybody located in NEPA. that wants it, I will be more than happy to show them where it is. The 4 speed trans and trans axle is also still hooked up too.This is the first Cortez that I have ever seen before.
Later :wink:
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:27 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Kevin, the /6 in the Clark Cortez only ever had the Carter YH 1bbl side draft as original equipment. This is the same carb used on some corvairs and early nashes. The original air cleaner is actually the same as used on the Nash (at least according to the x-ref #s), and not like the one you described. If I get time this weekend, I'll go out & take a pic for you.

The transaxle, if in good shape, is very rare and will usually sell for $1200-$2400 (of course you might end up storing it until someone needs one). Especially if it is the heavy duty model (if the front hubs are dished outward, this is probably the case). Also the "Clark Cortez" emblems often get stolen or broken, so those might bring you a little cash on ebay. I recently paid $25 for one that wasn't that good.

-Moose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:44 am 

Car Model:
Carter YH carpotater:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:09 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
What is the size of this motorhome??? My 24 foot Grumman uses a 440 engine. How could the Clark manage to get underway with a slant six unless it was very lightweight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:35 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
The Clark Cortez is 18'6" long. Weighs about 8800lbs unloaded. Up until I threw a rod about a month ago, the /6 moved mine beautifully. It is only a bit slow going uphill (a steep grade would mean 25-45mph), otherwise she handled highway speeds just fine.

The Cortez was quite advanced for its time. It has 4 wheel independent suspension, all steel frame and body construction, and a custom 4spd manual front wheel drive transaxle. This gives it a cadillac like ride. and a low center of gravity. Since there is no driveshaft tunnel, the floor can be lower, allowing one to stand up straight inside.

It is fully equipped with a toilet and shower, oven/stove/sink/fridge. The hot water heater is electric and also heated by the engine coolant. some units had factory A/C, and a roof storage pod.

For more info, feel free to check out our Yahoo group (especially the photos section): http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/cortezmotorhomes/

-Moose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:20 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Dan--you mentioned the shot-peened crank and implied that the Slant 6 engine in the Clark is something different than the typical Chrysler Industrial Slant 6. Is that true? My understanding is that Clark used off-the-shelf engines but changed manifolds, etc. as Moose pointed out.

Recently, the crankshaft in my Cortez broke and I am now trying to get the proper replacement. The Cortez guru in AZ says that he has seen broken cranks when incorrect main bearings were installed during a rebuild. Since I don't know the history on my engine, that could well be what happened. If anyone has suggestions on where to come up with the right crank and bearings, I'd appreciate hearing.

Also, Dan, if you want photos, let me know what you need. The engine is out of my motorhome and would be easy to photograph.

John in ID
'65 Clark Cortez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:23 am 

Car Model:
Idahotokens wrote:
Dan--you mentioned the shot-peened crank and implied that the Slant 6 engine in the Clark is something different than the typical Chrysler Industrial Slant 6. Is that true?

There was more variation in the industrial slant-6 engines than in passenger vehicle engines, just because of the variants needed for adaptation to the multiple different uses to which these engines were put. The hard parts (long block and rotating/reciprocating assembly) didn't vary much; there were heavy- and extra-heavy and ultra-heavy-duty components that could be specified, but these were all physically interchangeable with the standard components. 225-2 and -3 (heavy and ultra duty) truck engines got the shot-peened crank and other internal component upgrades. It's likely light-duty industrial engines didn't get shot-peened cranks, but very likely the engines used in the Cortezes did get 'em.

Quote:
Recently, the crankshaft in my Cortez broke

Ouch.

Quote:
I am now trying to get the proper replacement.

Shouldn't be difficult. Any 225 crankshaft made from '60 through the first part of the 1976 model year will work; you'll just need to make sure the rear of the crank is finish-drilled to accept the pilot bushing for use with your manual transmission. Because hauling around a Cortez is definitely heavy-duty service, it'll be a good idea to have the crank shot peened. This is a pretty standard operation for a machine shop equipped to do so. It just stress-relieves the crank so that stress risers won't lead to cracking under heavy usage. It'll also be a good idea to flare the oil holes on the crank journals, and you may want to use two grooved main bearing shells rather than the stock one-grooved/one-not setup, for 360° crank oiling.

Quote:
The Cortez guru in AZ says that he has seen broken cranks when incorrect main bearings were installed during a rebuild.

The "wrong" ones...? Well, obviously the correct size bearing inserts have to be installed for the dimensions of the crank journals, and the clearance needs to be set correctly, but that's not unique to the slant-6. All the forged-crank ('60-mid '76) slant-6s use the same crank bearings, and they're widely available, so I'm not sure which "wrong" bearings your guy is talking about.

Since it sounds like you're doing a complete engine rebuild, you'll want to spend some time and effort optimising engine oiling and other details. You may want to page through this thread, in which Doctor Dodge builds up an aluminum-block 225. Despite your engine being cast iron, many of the techniques and tricks apply.

No photos needed, thanks for the offer — we're here if you need us for parts selection or other advice. Welcome on the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:24 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Welcome to the slant six board, John!

Dan, I always thought that the /6 truck engines typically had the shot peened cranks, am I wrong?

-Moose

Post subject: Seems so...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:40 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Dan, I always thought that the /6 truck engines typically had the shot peened cranks, am I wrong?

I thought so too, until I got a 1963 Dodge Truck and stripped it down for parts and found the crank was not a shot peened unit...so I guess the light duty versions may not have gotten that style of crank or mix and match parts was still in swing at the plant...

-D.Idiot