Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:13 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Almost had everything fixed on the Beater Valiant, it runs and drive good on short hops, but the gas gauge was not reading...

Just dropped the gas tank (and had to unload 16 gallons of gas....)
To find the little plastic board with the fuel level wiring had come off and was skidding around at the bottom of the tank.... :?

I've talked to my local shop about another unit, but they have no picture, but they say the number is "universal" between the sending units...I say no as the Duster units have a shorter throw and different pick up configuration for the 16 gallon tank vs. the 60's 4 door 18 gallon special...

Anybody have a part number recommendation for a 1967-1969 Valiant tank sender, so I can make sure I get the "deep pickup" version...

Anyone have a recommendation on where to get a replacement "sock" (in tank filter)? I'd like to replace the old brittle one on the duster someday soon...(with my luck they are sold only with a new sender... :roll: )

Much appreciated!

-D.Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:57 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
I've talked to my local shop about another unit, but they have no picture, but they say the number is "universal" between the sending units...I say no as the Duster units have a shorter throw and different pick up configuration for the 16 gallon tank vs. the 60's 4 door 18 gallon special...
All A-bodies from '63-up use one and only one sender. The latest Chrysler P/N is 4051004. Spectra Premium also offers it, their P/N FG69A, which RockAuto will sell you for about $75
Quote:
Anyone have a recommendation on where to get a replacement "sock" (in tank filter)?
Chrysler P/N 1670694 was used right up through the end of carburetion in 1989. That P/N is now NS1. GM uses a compatible strainer, P/N 5651705, looks like still a good number. The Spectra Premium senders come with strainers already installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:55 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Be forwarned - the chrysler and spectra units calibration for the gauge are way off, you will have to spend some time tweaking the rod.

Strainers are availible from yearone and jimsautoparts.com - When I was in a pinch and couldn't wait for ordering a strainer I went to local auto parts store. They have modern flexible ones in airtex brand meant for efi pumps, but the outlet still fits a 5/16" line snuggly. They come in several shapes and sizes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:16 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
Be forwarned - the chrysler and spectra units calibration for the gauge are way off
Pierre, I'm kinda thinkin' it might've been your car that was way off, possibly due to long-ago badness in the fuel gauge circuit. Nobody else reports trouble using Chrysler 4051004 or Spectra FG69A in A-bodies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:22 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
Be forwarned - the chrysler and spectra units calibration for the gauge are way off
Pierre, I'm kinda thinkin' it might've been your car that was way off, possibly due to long-ago badness in the fuel gauge circuit. Nobody else reports trouble using Chrysler 4051004 or Spectra FG69A in A-bodies...
I have used and sold lots of different spectra senders with no complaints.
________
Honda vt750cd
________
YAMAHA OX99-11 SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by 74.swinger on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:57 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Dan, fair enough... but why is it the stock sender works fine then?

I've had other reports on the thread I started in here and on moparts that show people having same issue with the aftermarket senders....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:31 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
as for the strainer i believe the ford dealerships still have these--- not sure were I read this -- but a fyi!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:42 pm 

Car Model:
Pierre: I'm thinking a stuck ICVR could've sent improper voltage through the circuit. If this happens to an extent less than what it takes to fry the gauge, the gauge itself can be thrown out of calibration. It may be that by happenstance, the improper(?) resistance in your old sender cancelled-out the improper(?) response in your gauge, resulting in more-or-less correct readings when the two of them were paired. When you changed out the old sender for a new one, the system was thrown out of whack. If we had resistance data from more senders, both new and old, we'd have a clearer picture of what's going on. I'd've been curious to learn what happened if you swapped fuel gauge head units in your car (replacement gauge and replacement sender).

VDart: I know Ford will sell us a new sender float, not sure about the strainer. I'll see if I can dig up a P/N!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:17 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
Quote:
It may be that by happenstance, the improper(?) resistance in your old sender cancelled-out the improper(?) response in your gauge, resulting in more-or-less correct readings when the two of them were paired. When you changed out the old sender for a new one, the system was thrown out of whack.
Wow, and I didn't even hear the music! :lol:

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:56 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Dan - I replaced the stock regulator with a 7805 retrofit long ago - worked ok with stock sender. When this whole sender busines went down, I also thought it could be my wiring or the gauge/7805 itself, so I ran external wiring to an autometer chrysler/ford 73ohm empty / 10 ohm full gauge - did same thing stock gauge did. Full reads full, 4 gallons gone reads 1/4, 5 gallons gone reads 1/2, 6 gallons gone empty.

Stock gauge + 7805 read same as autometer (autometer gauge takes straight +12v, ground, and sender, no other connections). This points to the sender.

I went even one step further - I'll re-describe my mini experiment here. I cut a hole in the side of a garbage can and secured the sender in the garbage can with duct tape. I marked several levels on the side of the can, filling up with water to each level and measuring resistance at each step. Compared one sender to the other, and as expected way off - the replacement senders increased resistance lots faster in the early steps. I don't have the numbers handy, but you can dig up the other recent thread if you want to see them for comparison.

IIRC one of the other posts in that thread (or was it the moparts one?) had uncannily similar results - 6 gallons gone read empty.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:21 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Thanks, I'll get one ordered and see how it compares.

-D.Idiot

Post subject: Sender Adjustment?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:46 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Instead of starting a new thread.

I bought one of these gauges, tested it out of the car and it seemed fine. I ran out of fuel last week and decided to install it. Turned the key, and for the first time since i've had the car, a 72' Duster, the fuel gauge actually moved. :lol:
I put in exactly 4 gallons of fuel, and turned the key, but have the same problem as Pierre described. The fuel gauge reads empty.

So, should i drain the tank, and remove the sender again, and use a couple of pairs of pliers to bend the rod that the float is attached to down? 4 gallons should read 1/4 tank right? I'm also using an autometer fuel gauge like pierre. 73 ohms empty, 8-12 ohms full.

Edit: How do i remove the "false advertisement" below my name since i still only have a stocker holley 1920?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:30 pm 

Car Model:
Four gallons should not read ¼ tank! If it did, there'd be no reserve fuel. You want a reserve of two to three gallons, depending on how paranoid you are and how often you drive long distances with few gas stations around.

Try putting in exactly 6½ gallons and then adjusting the float rod so that the gauge reads ¼ tank.

There is another new source of senders for A-bodies. See here. Listings are oddly random as to which ones have 3/8" line and which ones have 5/16" line. 5/16" is the one and only correct size for all A-bodies, all years, except possibly for the handful of Hemi/big block cars they built in '67-'69. All '63-up A-bodies use the same sender, so disregard which ones are listed for which years and which specific model names, and mouse around until you find the 5/16" one. Seller says they are stainless steel and manufactured in Taiwan, also says he has had no complaints of "off" gauge readings. I have no firsthand knowledge of the quality or performance of these senders. I do note they have them for '60-'62 A-bodies...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:01 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
When I ordered a sending unit and strainer from Year One for the 72 Dart I had, they sent me a Delco strainer; PN# 5651702. I don't remember the part # for the sender, though...

Post subject: Re: Sender Adjustment?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: '63 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
Quote:
How do i remove the "false advertisement" below my name since i still only have a stocker holley 1920?
The listing under your name is a "rating" and has to do with the number of posts you have made.