Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:44 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Would the conversion of our engine to a D.I.S. require a distributor plug or other fabrication? What I'm trying to figure out is if anything will be damged by the removal of the distributor and simply putting a plug in its place. I've seen this done for VW's but I just don't know about slants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:47 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
All you should need is something to cover/plug up the hole.........

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:38 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Tell us a little more about the kind of system you are considering using.
Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:53 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks Ed, that's what I was hoping for. As for which system, I was strongly considering Ford's EDIS to handle the ignition.

The old white brick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:23 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
what will you use for a trigger?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:23 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
EDIS will require a 36-1 trigger on the crank pulley and a VR sensor. I'm planning to do this eventually and have gathered the EDIS module and an Interpid coil pack already. Just need to get the trigger wheel.

I don't see any problem with plugging the distributor hole. The distributor gear on a slant only drives the distributor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:29 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
You can buy the ford trigger wheel new from napa. Easier then fussing with a puller at a junkyard. Think the ones I bought were less then $15.

Are you going to use MS or some other computer to drive the ford module?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:58 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I plan on eventually using MS to control Fuel and spark, I'll start with spark while i get the fuel side sorted, plumbed, etc...

The old white brick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:12 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
What does the acronym EDIS stand for? Can you point us towards a web site or diagragm of how it works? How would you retrofit it to your slant? How many coils does it have? Is it a coil pack set up? I must say that most of the newer ignition systems are really unkown to me. I understand the old points and coil, the electronic ignition of Mopar style, and the Hall effect ignition, but all of these have a distributor that routes the spark to the proper plug through a rotating rotor and with a distributor cap. Can anyone enlighten me/us here. I am sure I am not the only one left in the dark.
Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:32 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Actually you'll probably get more info from google on this subject than from me. EDIS stands for Electronic Distributorless Ignition System. Found this. Hope that helps. It uses a coil pack and it triggered by a 36-1 wheel placed on the damper/crank pully, which triggers a VR sensor. You do need a computer to control it, like megasquirt, or you'll just get a 10 deg advance signal, which is the unit's Limp Home mode. to retrofit the slant, you'd need a coil pack, wires, an EDIS module, a spark management system to do your timing curve, and the related wiring harnesses. It lets you chuck the distributor, which is one less part that I know I can break.

The old white brick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:02 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
As technical as your going to get...

http://www.bgsoflex.com/mjl/mjl_edis_summary.html

Howto for mating with MS - http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra ... dware.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:42 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
the distributor gear on the cam also drives the oil pump, right? why did you choose the ford system? i had considered building a DIS using MSD parts. i was going have the flywheel indexed to the crank and have three magnets installed. i figure a hole could be made on the right side of the engine back there where a pick up could be mounted. i have been told that the further out the magnets can be placed the more accurate the timing can be. thoughts?

zedpapa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:46 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I don't know truthfully, that's what the original intent of this thread was, but I seem to have been idealogically hijacked by a technical question. I chose the Ford system, becuase of price and availability, and available informational resources for set up. Truthfully, I know next to nothing about a flying magnet setup like you're considering. But yes, having a greater rotational distance between your magnets should allow for a higher accuracy of timing, that or use smaller magnets.

The old white brick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:44 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
All the DIS support from MegaSquirt is geared toward the Ford EDIS. That might be one reason.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:55 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
zedpapa wrote:
the distributor gear on the cam also drives the oil pump, right? why did you choose the ford system? i had considered building a DIS using MSD parts. i was going have the flywheel indexed to the crank and have three magnets installed. i figure a hole could be made on the right side of the engine back there where a pick up could be mounted. i have been told that the further out the magnets can be placed the more accurate the timing can be. thoughts?

zedpapa

The cam distributor gear drives the oil pump - the gear on the distributor doesn't, unlike many V8s. The oil pump has a separate drive gear.

EDIS is pretty straightforward to get up and going, but Megasquirt-I (and soon, Megasquirt-II) can drive other DIS systems by operating the coils directly. You do need some means of identifying the cylinders, so a 3 tooth wheel will only work if you add some sort of second trigger to identify the cylinder.

A large diameter wheel can boost accuracy a bit, but once you get past a certain point it doesn't really help. Some systems such as EDIS and Megasquirt-II can gain more accuracy from a wheel with more teeth, too.

'66 Dart - turbocharged 225

My blog - Mad Scientist Matt's Lair