Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:47 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Built from 1961 to 1963
Valiant and '61 - '62 only - Lancer, 2 dr sedan deliveries?
Found one sitting at Warhoops Auto Salvage in Sterling Heights Michiogan. Tree growing out/through spare tire well and out the back window. Tried to attach pic here but no dice.
Terry

Last edited by Terencejiminy on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:03 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Could you send me the pic? I will post it for you.
carsofcomfrey@yahoo.com

Service

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:01 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Terencejiminy wrote:
Built from 1961 to 1963
Valiant and '61 and '62 only - Lancer 2 dr sedan deliveries?

Not made on the regular production lines. Special-order builds for fleets, yes, a few.

Quote:
Found one sitting at Warhoops Auto Salvage in Sterling Heights Michiogan. Tree growing out/through spare tire well and out the back window. Tried to attach pic here but no dice.

Send the pic to CARS and let's have a look at what you found.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:42 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I saw a three door in a magazine once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:09 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '68 V100, '68 V200, '79 Aspen, '84 D100
Will wrote:
I saw a three door in a magazine once.

I know someone that has a 3 door wagon. He bought it off a guy that was going to make a 2dr wagon, only got one side finnished! It was a '61 or '62 Valiant.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:00 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Dan,,
There WERE a couple hundred made, and at Dodge Main. I worked on at least 20 of them for MICHCON at Colonial Dodge in E. Detroit back in late '67 when we had to convert them all over to the new dual braking system. Had special door jam ID:
Modifications by Special Equipment Department - Dodge Division - Chrysler Corporation. :)
My dad was a millwright '60 to '84 and brought home a picture they took of the new floor rigging for ?? way back then in the 1st floor repair shop. There were 2 or 3 sitting there being finished. That pic I do not have.

I'll have to go over to Warhoops here shortly befor the snow flies with one of THOSE Cameras, got to barrow one.
Thanks,
Terry

From Super 6 Left turns to Straight again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:06 pm 

Car Model:
Terencejiminy wrote:
Dan,,
There WERE a couple hundred made, and at Dodge Main.

By special order for a fleet...they were not officially offered and did not officially exist. I should've been more clear that this is what I meant when I said "not made". There were all kinds of nonstandard "nonexistent" car configurations like this built in the '60s in small quantities by various export and special-vehicle divisions of Chrysler Corp. Most of them were export vehicles specced for nonstandard driving conditions in far-flung countries, or built to the bizarre specifications of wealthy heads of state. The City and County of Los Angeles is said to have ordered a bunch of right-hand drive A-body wagons for use as parking enforcement vehicles, though I haven't got any proof of that.

Quote:
Had special door jam ID:
Modifications by Special Equipment Department - Dodge Division - Chrysler Corporation.

There y'go!

Post subject: Not Phishing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:13 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Guys please don't misunderstand my original posting. I had seen many of these on the road for MICHCON the Michigan Consolidate Gas Company back in the 60's. A couple were bought by Chicken Delight as delivery vehicles on into the 70's. The last one I saw on the street was one of these who delivered for a birthday party at my parents house back in '79. Forgot they even existed until I stumbled across the one at Warhoops 5 years ago. I visit it when I'm there. Going this Saturday morning actually.
What I wondered is if any others survived and are still around in the possesion of one of us Mopar nuts.
I have a couple shots taken with a regular camera somewhere and I might be able to scan them back at the Hangar at work too.
This all came up at Norwalk this year after drooling over AMO'S AMMO the 2 door Valiant Drag car/Station Wagon.
I have in the past butted heads with this Galen Govier guy over what we really built at the plants VS what he thinks was.
EX: He says we never built 4 340 Valiants in '68, well we did and I drove the burgandy 4spd car. Sweet.
We never built RT/440 Dodge pickups in the late 60's. We did.
We never built a 1969 Dodge A-100 5 window pickup for the Plant Protection Boss, fully trimmed out with Sportsman moldings and a 340/w/727. We did.
The 1st Little Red Wagon was originally built at the Warren Truck Engineering Garage NOT at the Woodward Avenue Skunk Works.
This is what the Engineering Shack was for. There was one at EVERY Chrysler assembly plant up to the late 70's.
Thanks,
Terry

Post subject: Re: Not Phishing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:18 pm 

Car Model:
Terencejiminy wrote:
I have in the past butted heads with this Galken Govier guy over what we built at the plants VS what he thinks was.

Ah, yes, Galen Govier, the self-proclaimed "guru" of Mopar production, who thinks he knows a great deal more than he actually does. His attitude is "I wrote the book, and if your car's not in my book, then it doesn't exist". He's also been known to sell shoebox cars ($5k or whatever gets you a box with a VIN plate, fender tag, and stamped pieces of body metal from some long-dead ultra-rare Mopar, ready for you and your welder to transform your $2500 granny-Dart into a $3 million honest(?!)-to-gosh Hemi Dart).

He is a schmuck of the lowest order.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:28 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Quote:

Send the pic to CARS and let's have a look at what you found.[/quote]

Chris I will e/mail the pic my younger brother Gary in Houston sent me last year of a retouched pic showing almost exactly what one looked like.
I'll see if I can get a Web Capable Camera shot of the actual car at Warhoops this Saturday.
Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:54 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Sorry it took so long. Here it is!!!

If it does exist, it would be a cool shop truck.

Service

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:19 am 

Car Model:
Did the MICHCON cars use the short 4-door front doors, or the longer 2-door items?

Post subject: Doors
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:04 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
First 2 years ('61 and '62) used the std front doors of the wagons 4 doors.
I was only TOLD that for '63 they had some with the longer 2dr sedan doors (see AMO'S AMMO Drag Car) but the rest used the same shorter doors.
Older fellow here at the airport says he drove one of the '63's when he worked at Sears here in Detroit, as an Apliance Service car. He says he recalled it had the longer door because he personally drove a '62 4dr Lancer and his "Work Truck" was easier to get in and out of.
Thanks,
Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:24 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
That thing is cool! This is the first I've ever heard of their existence. So they were built by coach companies? And who else has images of these rare units? Lets hear the full story.

Post subject: Coach Companies??
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:40 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
No they were built at Dodge Main In Hamtramc.
Doors were welded shut in the Body-in-White department and a one piece panel that streched from the front of the rear door glass frame to the rear of the rear side glass openings was installed .
Like I said, I'm going over to Warhoops Saturday to get some PIX of this last remaining (around here anyway) example of the neatest Mopar Sedan Delivery I ever saw. :D
WAY before the PT Cruiser Panel was even thought of.
I am also sending Chris a pic of a '63 that I think is a retouched shot too. Not too sure on that one. I've had this pic for a couple years and am not sure where i got it from originally. :?
Terry