Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Another 5 speed question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:10 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1964 Dodge Polara 2 Dr HT /6 3spd man
Hello fellow slant sixers!
I have a 87 d150 that I'd like to enhance the gas mileage on (as well as everyone else ) and still hang on to the slant 6. I'm going to fabricate a fuel injection system (for a cleaner tailpipe as well-gotta do my share) this summer and put a larger rear gear ratio - I don't drive on the highway often.
My question is an opinion(s) on the best application. I've read some on this sight regarding Sandy and Sam's T5. I can do the work myself and don't want to shell out big money, under a G sounds good to me.
I don't haul to much weight and rarely tow anything over 1000 to 1500 lbs when I do (once a month or so).
Would the T5 work on my truck if not is there a better solution.
I have a 904 that's starting to slip, so I'm going to have to do something anyway. Thanks in advance for any input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:00 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
A T 5 will work. I would be tempted to put a truck 5 speed in your truck for the better ratios and torque handling ability.

Make sure you use a truck clutch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Sandy pardon my ignorance but does the T5 come in a truck as well?
Thanks for the response
Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:31 pm 

Car Model:
I know T5 s were used in S10s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:33 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I think using a sl6 to v8 adapter and an AX-15 or NV3550 (Dakota trans) would be a better choice in a truck their substantially bigger than t5's which were used in s-10's but really don't belong in trucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:12 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Hmm...something different. I'll look into it.
Thanks, Dale

Post subject: Buuuuttt....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:04 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I think using a sl6 to v8 adapter

He'll have to go hunting, Andy didn't get a big response for these and he's not making any more, and finding one of the cast iron ones in a junkyard isn't getting any easier either....

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:14 pm 

Car Model:
Dont get too tripped out about S10 T5s not working behind a slant.....they would be just fine.

You dont need a sb to Chev adapter.....just adapt the T5 right to a slant bell.
Have a l;ook here

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:46 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I agree that if you can't find a sl6 to LA adapter the t5 swap will be easier but an AX-15 or a NV3550 will hold up better in anything very heavy. T5's came in CJ-7's for a couple years and they don't hold up well in them even with smaller tires. AX-15's fare much better in the newer jeeps but they do still wear out and or break in lifted rigs.

If you go with a t5 look at the page I linked into the 5 speed info thread I started. There are good reasons to start with a ford t5. Mustang tranny's are almost all world class models except the oldest ones, chevy trucks are not. Also to the best of my knowledge the only strong t5's GM used are in V8 camaros and firebirds.

1969 B5 blue roadrunner 383/727 soon to be turbo slant (JK)

1972 Barracuda was green 318 who knows?

Post subject: Lol...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:22 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
but an AX-15 or a NV3550 will hold up better in anything very heavy

I dunno... there will come a point where the truck user will have to judge when the slant won't do the job he's expecting and at that point it'll become a V-8 swap anyway... for no towing/little hauling a slant torque build and an OD tranny with some 4.11's would be great..... if he's wanting to haul down 300hp and 400 ftlbs of torque at grunt rpms...well... :roll:

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:36 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
If he eventually decides he needs 300hp and 400ft# better just go ahead and do an NV4500 swap so he'll be prepared for that turbo efi motor. :lol:

1969 B5 blue roadrunner 383/727 soon to be turbo slant (JK)

1972 Barracuda was green 318 who knows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:28 am 

Car Model:
Nobody around here has a 300hp truck. ....certainly not 400ft/lbs

Very few people have a 300hp slant at all.

Lou (Dart 270) has a 300hp slant and a T5. It works just fine.

Sam Powel has a T5 in his car (turbo EFI)....it may even be a V6 model

I am at about 175 hp and use a light duty RAP and 9 1/4"clutch....for 7 years.

Dont be giving silly advice about how you must have this or that World Class whatever. For a slant you can run a freaking 3 speed manual and a 9"clutch.

For years I have heard advice from people that "they would never run anything but....." cept they never actually put anything in their car.

I can t think of a 5 speed that WONT work behind most slants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:32 am 

Car Model:
Just to stir the pot a little more.....

I used to drive a crummy with a T5 in it. It was an early 90s Ford F 350 with a 460EFI....and it pulled a trailer off road. The thing was crap but the tranny worked fine.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:36 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hmmm, well, if its gas mileage you want...two things.

1. It IS a truck, you can get better mileage but don't expect miracles. I dig the idea of doing what you can, but there is a practical upper limit on an Otto cycle engine...enough about that.

2. Have you considered staying factory and getting the A833 O/D 4 speed? That is what my D150 has in it. It does get about 22 mpg, if I don't stomp it and let the Weber open up. Just from a fabrication and ease of parts stand point I would go with the A833 O/D. You can swap out your rear end to tune the final drive ratio--this thing is really a 3 speed, with an O/D for cruising and 1st gear is a little short. Maybe it is really a two speed, ha, ha.

Anyway, Chrysler's engineering folks figured this out a long time ago and packaged this truck as the "Miser"--all a five speed will get you is more gears to row through (which isn't bad at all) but I doubt your final drive ratio will beat the A833 O/D. Consider that these transmissions are generally low on the desirablity list and I imagine you ca get one from a junk yard for cheap. Also consider that the A833 lived behind a Hemi--I am certain it will live behind anything a Slant can put out. Note however, that it isn't really a truck transmission, but rather a modified car tranny.

Give the A833 O/D a look and let us know which way you go, and why--always looking for knowledge...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:15 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
tlrol wrote:
Hmmm, well, if its gas mileage you want...two things.

1. It IS a truck, you can get better mileage but don't expect miracles. I dig the idea of doing what you can, but there is a practical upper limit on an Otto cycle engine...enough about that.

2. Have you considered staying factory and getting the A833 O/D 4 speed? That is what my D150 has in it. It does get about 22 mpg, if I don't stomp it and let the Weber open up. Just from a fabrication and ease of parts stand point I would go with the A833 O/D. You can swap out your rear end to tune the final drive ratio--this thing is really a 3 speed, with an O/D for cruising and 1st gear is a little short. Maybe it is really a two speed, ha, ha.

Anyway, Chrysler's engineering folks figured this out a long time ago and packaged this truck as the "Miser"--all a five speed will get you is more gears to row through (which isn't bad at all) but I doubt your final drive ratio will beat the A833 O/D. Consider that these transmissions are generally low on the desirablity list and I imagine you ca get one from a junk yard for cheap. Also consider that the A833 lived behind a Hemi--I am certain it will live behind anything a Slant can put out. Note however, that it isn't really a truck transmission, but rather a modified car tranny.

Give the A833 O/D a look and let us know which way you go, and why--always looking for knowledge...

I had one of those in my 77 Road Runner. It was a DOG! It would lock up for no reason between gears. I could never figure it out. I later swapped it for a 4-speed. That was 30 years ago. I never forgot that as I still have the car.

Greg