Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:49 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Gary Goers makes a bunch of the otherwise-impossible-to-find parts for early A-bodies (and later ones, as well). Download his cattledog here. UPDATE Gary Goers' health failed and his business has been bought and the new owners are supplying at least some of the parts listed in the cattledog. Contact them for more info.

Another very good source from which to request a cattledog is REM Automotive. Ask for cattledogs applicable to your car(s). They don't sell directly to retail customers, only to shops and distributors; Dante's Parts is one of their distributors with a very good reputation (and a product line that is not just limited to the items from REM). They don't tend to stock/display stuff for the earlier applications, which is why it's handy to have a REM catalogue sheet so you can specify what you want Dante's to order in for you.

David Azzopardi makes extremely nice reproduction lamp lenses (brake/tail, park/turn, sidemarker, etc.; see [url]here[/url] for example). Sometimes hard to get hold of, but it's worth your persistence.

DMT make terrific body gaskets (lamp lens to housing and housing to body, heater box to firewall, etc.). They have more available than they list in their catalogue, so if you don't see what you need, contact them.

Jack's Auto Parts is another solid supplier for reproduction in-car and underhood parts, though here again, not as much for the earlier cars.

Andy Bernbaum is a reputable supplier with a bunch of stuff for the early cars. Officially he supports only Mopars through 1962, so his catalogue doesn't list anything later, but many difficult-to-find parts for A-bodies through at least '66 interchange back to '62, so if you've done your homework and know that a particular part will work both on a '62 and on your '64 (or whatever), go for it.

AMK have an enormous range of hard-to-find original-type hardware (nuts, bolts, clamps, clips, retainers, etc.).

Osborn Reproduction have a lot of reproduction engine compartment decals, but unfortunately no illustrated catalogue. (Also no website content at the moment—they inform me their site got burned down by hackers, but they are still open for biz; contact them elsewise at 101 Ridgecrest Drive - Lawrenceville, GA 30046; phone (770) 962-7556; fax (770) 962-5881.)

Metro Molded Parts offer a lot of rubber weatherseals and related parts, now including very correct-looking door windlace/weatherseal combo in a variety of colours. It's listed as "62-up", but there's no reason it shouldn't work on '60-'61 cars. Use Metro's online store to find your part numbers, then go put them in a part number search on http://www.rockauto.com for lower prices (which can be driven down further with the 5% discount codes that are always floating around for RockAuto).

Restoration Specialties have an extensive range of clips, "cat whisker" window sweepers, weatherseals, window channel material, and so forth.

PolyBushings has poly engine mounts for the '62-'66 slant-6 A-bodies, the '73 and up slant-6 cars (spool mounts) and at least one side for the slant-6 '67-'72 A-bodies.

Schumacher has very complete windshield wiper pivot reseal kits that work to stop water leaks at that location, as well as polyurethane transmission mounts and a few engine mounts that fit some slant-6 cars.

Daniel Stern Lighting (full disclosure: that's me) has effective, safe good upgrades for headlamps and other exterior lights.

There's a bunch of good stuff for the early cars to be had out of Australia. here, here, and here for some examples, though the vendor I used is no longer in business. I also bought a super-nice trunk mat, nicer than any I've seen in North America, out of Australia; see here for photos of that (and other) parts and accessories on my '62. As far as I know, the Australian suppliers are the only good source for the windshield and backglass seals for the early models.

Some vendors well worth avoiding include Jim's Auto Parts, Clifford, Mitchell Motor Parts ("fmmpr" on eBay), and especially you want to think very carefully before you decide (not) to spend money at Layson's; see, for just a few examples, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. Much of what they sell is not of their own manufacture; a large proportion of their product line is bought elsewhere and marked up.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:58 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dan, does REM automotive sell directly to the public? I really like their stuff, they have some some beautiful turquoise sun visors I have my eyes on (#104.00 through Legendary; $119 + 5.00 (colors) through Layson's).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:37 am 

Car Model:
REM sell only to their distributors but are happy to send out catalogues.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:17 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I got this response from REM:
----------------------------------------------
Hi Paul,

We do not sell retail so we don't have a picture catalog for you, however I can direct you to someone who can take care of all of your needs. Call 609-332-4194 or visit www.dantesparts.com and talk to Dante. He will take care of whatever you need.

Bruce Ginther Jr.
R.E.M. Inc. Sales Representative
717-838-4242
sales@remautoinc.com
-----------------------------------------------
Is dantesparts.com the go-to person for these parts then, over, say, Legendary Auto Interiors or Layson's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:25 am 

Car Model:
As stated in the top post in this topic, Dante's has an excellent reputation for honesty and fair pricing. Other suppliers have a terrible one for dishonesty and overpricing.

Legendary's reputation is mixed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:19 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:

AMK Products have an enormous range of hard-to-find original-type hardware (nuts, bolts, clamps, clips, retainers, etc.).

I was pointed to AMK last Thursday by one of our / members. Went to their site and found the fender nuts I needed (5/16" w/large free spinning washer) and more. They have the proper studs, trunk/hood bolts, well... everything ya need to restore any make or model vehicle.

They arrived today (Thursday. Exactly one week) and they are packaged nicely, and exactly like the originals. I will be ordering from them again for sure. The Auveco, W&E, etc. maybe cheaper but they are not accurate in size and markings.

Plus, if you order over $30.00 you get a 415 page printed catalog!!!

Two thumbs up for sure!!

Service

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:59 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
BUYER BEWARE: Dante's

I had a horrible purchasing experience for them, in short they're totally skimming off the top on shipping, even worse skimming a 'chunk'.

I ordered 2 small and durable items from them, and you can only order over the phone through them. The guy on the phone said they're a warehouse that stocks stuff...so I placed my order, and he said he would email me an invoice. By the time I finally got the invoice I noticed shipping was nearly $35!!!! Yes it is cross country, but that is INSANE for 2 parts! I tried to call but it was after hours by the time I got the invoice, oh boy!

The next morning I called ASAP and I was informed that they were actually shipped from 2 seperate locations! After he said they were a warehouse that stocks the parts...LIE. Then I started questioning him on that and he says they ship from multiple places to get their customers the parts as quick as possible. That's great, but I was not told that, I was actually told completely the opposite.

Then I started asking why it's so expensive to ship a couple small durable items, when they could be thrown into a small or medium sized USPS flat-rat box for cost effective cross country shipping. He started arguing that flat-rate shipping costs like $18 a box....at this point the lies were getting ridiculous. I directed him to the USPS official website so he could see for himself, but mysteriously he "wasn't at his computer"

:roll:

Furthermore, we are back to the conversation about informing the customer the truth about your facility, and about shipping. He then dug his own hole deeper by saying "Well we could gather the parts here and ship them together, but we don't do that! We want people to have them as soon as possible! [for more money, since it's shipping from 2 locations]". I then pretty much nailed him, or he nailed himself, saying he should give customers that option instead of hiding those details from them, even after they ask (like me).

He reluctantly agreed to get 1 of them items, which mysteriously hadn't shipped yet (unlike I was previously informed), said he will put it in a flat rate box (go figure, one he thought moments ago was $18, maybe he looked it up on the internet while we were talking? Wait no...he couldn't have...he's "not at a computer") and eat the cost, so I was only actually paying for shipping for 1 item, roughly $19. This still is insanely overpriced as I just bought something else cross country shipped for less than half that flat-rate, and another item non-flat-rate for $14 cross country, all similar in size.

Beware of Dante's, they are obviously scamming on shipping bigtime and lying about their facility. I am not trying to slander this place, I took the time to write this to inform you guys of my harsh and expensive experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: '63 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
Shadow:

Thanks for letting us know. I have had poor luck on getting some Barracuda parts from some vendors, and I know the drill. We all need to be aware of the good & bad. As long as the data is accurate, I encourage people to share their experiences. It's hard to know who to trust.

Post subject: Wiskers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:31 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Thank's so much for the help. Dan, Layson's has been sold to NPD.
And Jim's is like you said. What a Jerk off. The woman taking ph orders is a real piece of work. We went with Dante's. Thanks all. SMOKEY.

Post subject: Re: Wiskers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:48 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
SMOKEY wrote:
Thank's so much for the help. Dan, Layson's has been sold to NPD.
SMOKEY.

Little correction. I was at NPD this past week and asked about that. Not Layson's. NPD purchased Hardins.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:48 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Just to update, that Restoration Specialties link does not work. Probably an old website/link.

This is the new website:

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/index.html

Syed

http://www.weddingcar4u.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:01 pm 

Car Model:
Thanks -- I've updated the link in the top post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:13 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Add Collectors Auto Supply, they say they have everything, but always tell me it is not in stock.

I think they just advertise they have every MOPAR part number!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:21 pm 

Car Model:
crickhollow wrote:
Add Collectors Auto Supply, they say they have everything, but always tell me it is not in stock.

I think they just advertise they have every MOPAR part number!

Yup, they're on the "Avoid" list for that and other good reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:58 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Arizona Parts- a NOS dealer with an online searchable inventory!

http://arizonaparts.com

Old Car Parts Northwest- a NOS dealer with an old guy who answers the phone, but not email! Great selection, though, and worth talking to:

http://ocpnw.com