Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1795 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5120 Next
 Post subject: One last "tedious" job
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:03 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I didn't mind any of the stuff I have done so far, but I started on the job tonight that I just have been putting off. About 10 years ago I took a torch to the whole underside and scraped all the undercoating off. Now there is a lot of surface rust that needs to be gotten rid of. Since I can't move it and it is inside my garage sandblasting was out. So I broke out the old 4" grinder and went to town for about 1 1/2 hours this evening. Probably about 3 or 4 more hours and I will have the whole underside wire brushed. This is the times I wish I had a lift. This is just one of those dirty jobs that has to be done. If someone likes to do this kind of job come on over!! :wink: :wink:

Rick

Post subject: One more step
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:00 pm 

Ryan came over and ran the wire wheel under the car for about 1 1/2 hours on Tuesday evening and I spent another 2 hours today, but the underside is now officially "Derusticated" :lol: Boy that's a hard dirty job! I put the primer to it early this evening and should get the paint on first thing in the morning.

I also got the right side wheel well area cut out and ready for the other wheel tub. 7 1/4 rear that was resting on the springs has been removed and after I get done painting tomorrow I will bolt the 8 3/4 in place.

Nice to make some progress!! :D

Woo Hoo! 29 weeks to Mason Dixon II

Rick

Post subject: Underside done
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:25 pm 

My second son, Denny came over and gave the underside a healthy coat of shiny black paint on Saturday. I gave it a second coat on Monday evening and finished up the right side Wheel tub. I'm glad that underside is primed and painted! :D I don't want to do that for at least 25 more years! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:20 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Can't wait to see your car snortin' down the strip! I'll make sure to crawl under it too...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:04 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Any Update On your Valiant Rick?

Maybe our Valiants can run Heads up at mason this year!

How many more weeks till mason-dixon Now?
This thread seems to be the official countdown.

Hopefully Ruster will be done by then - Good Luck with it.

Greg

Post subject: Progress report
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:22 pm 

Well first off, there are about 21 weeks left before Mason Dixon II.

I haven't made a lot of progress since the end of October. Other things have taken priority. Remodeling 2 rooms for me and the wife right now. After that I hope to get some more done. I have the right side rear tub installed and I have the D.S. rear quarter of the car body work completed. DS. front fender is almost done also. I have my Neon Buckets seat out of the attic and will try and mount them on the set of original bucket seat brackets I have.

I seriously doubt I make it to Mason dixon this year with my Valiant but you never know.

I am still looking for a decent slant 6 car/truck for a daily driver. The few 78-87 pick-ups I have looked at are all rust buckets. I will run on to something sooner or later and hopefully it will be something I can run at Mason-Dixon in 2010.

Rick

Post subject: Progress report
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:19 pm 

Well, I am starting to get excited about Mason Dixon II already. Just 19 weeks out. I have a friend who is a body shop man, and he is coming over tomorrow to give me a price on installing the drivers side rear quarter. That was going to be the big hold-up for me. So if he can install that for me for a reasonable amount I may be able to have my Valiant at Mason Dixon II after all.

There is a possibility that I may even stoop so low as to put an automatic transmission in it :oops: which would make everything easier for me in the short term. We will see tomorrow.

PS. Also this friend has a line on a slant six pickup (mid-80s) that he said could probably be had cheap. So I may end up with a pick-up also. Hopefully it is not a total rust bucket.

Rick

Post subject: Re: Progress report
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:16 am 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Rick Covalt wrote:

There is a possibility that I may even stoop so low as to put an automatic transmission in it :oops: which would make everything easier for me in the short term. We will see tomorrow.

Rick

Don't worry, you will only feel dirty for a little while. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:26 am 

Car Model:
Put a 3000 stall in it, and you will have lots of fun. I like freaking out the Beemer guys on the road course with my automatic car. Better to have it running with a 904 than sitting with a 4spd next to it on the floor...

Lou

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:52 pm 

My friend came over and looked at my Valiant and he said installing the quarter panel is a piece of cake. He will come to the house and put it on do all the body work to it as soon as I do all the prep work of the panels. Price was very reasonable and he is good. I was excited about this. :D

Bad news- the truck he told me about turned out to be just to rusted out. :(

Good News- I picked up my completely rebuilt 225 from another friend for $200. What a deal! So I hope to get back to working on the car this coming week.

Also for those who have been asking me, I have decided to sell the Fat Pack Hyper Pak that I have. I will post it in the for sale section when I put it on E-bay.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:33 am 

Car Model:
Rick,

That's great about the 1/4 panel and bodywork! You can do it by May!!

Lou

Post subject: May is a long shot
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:42 am 

There is a lot to do but we'll see.

Can someone tell me what year automatic transmission I am looking for. I don't want a lock-up convertor, but what year did they start? Anyone have a god used tranny cheap, close to Southern PA. Don't care about it being bone stock . Just something I could put in and run temporarily.
I really want to run my 4-speed later.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:48 am 

Car Model:
You want a 904 from '67-87 non-lockup. There were no lockups until about '78, so any 904 from '67-78 should be fine. I would bet Chris E near you might have one??

I have a decent stock trans and converter ('74 Dart) I could sell you cheap, or even better just LEND to you and you give it back when you go back to 4spd. Getting it up there could be the rub. Could even lend you a higher stall converter if you like.

If you come to the banquet, the stock trans/conv are yours...

Lou

Post subject: What is this, Bribery??
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:21 am 

I see, your trying to get me to the banquet any way you can. Seriously That is a generous offer. Thanks a lot. I just hate to break someone elses stuff. I will drop you a PM and we can discuss some details. Thanks

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:06 am 

Car Model:
Call it "incentive"... :wink:

Lou

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1795 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5120 Next