Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:43 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1795 posts ]  Go to page Previous 165 66 67 68 69120 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:41 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
What have you tried to take apart or observe so far? Bummer.

Converter seens to engage pump drive pegs (remove TC bolts and rock back and forth)? Noises when in gear? Did you have the pan off before you installed it and filled it up? Maybe shift linkage/valve body issue? Can drop pan and check that.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:24 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
seriously though..

Could this have anything to do with the trans brake?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:01 pm 

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
What have you tried to take apart or observe so far? Bummer.

Nothing so far. Got all the engine checks and adjustments done this morning and figured the 1 wire for the Trans brake couldn't be to hard!

Absolutely no noises that I can hear. I do have mufflers on it so I can hear some. I did not remove the pan or anything. This was Seymour's spare race transmission that was just rebuilt. It did have forward in it after I first started it.

Quote:
Could this have anything to do with the trans brake?

Anything is possible. But the brake is not energized until I push the button. So if it is not energized it should be the same as before.

I guess I will just drain the pan and remove it and see what it looks like.

I usually do everything 2 or 3 times why would this be any different!:cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:44 pm 

This is a Manual valve body, but does it matter if the kickdown lever is pushed forward or back? I know it does not get hooked up, but I wonder if its position matters? I'll see where it is at tomorrow. Just thinking out loud

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:48 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
How many quarts have you put in the trans?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:06 pm 

9 or 10.

Last edited by Rick Covalt on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:23 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
When you installed the trans, did you have to pull/push the converter toward the engine, or was the converter up to the flexplate, without moving it? Was this converter/trans, used with a mid engine mount/plate? I had an issue years ago, where the converter was made for use with a plate. When installed in my car without the plate, the converter put too much pressure on the pump, and distroyed the trans pump, on the first pass down the track. Can you put a pressure gauge on the trans, and check the line pressure, before taking things apart?

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:43 am 

There was a little gap between the torque convertor and the flex plate before I pulled it together. Perhaps 1/4"?

This is the same torque convertor I had been running in my car before. Yes I can check the line pressure before I drain the pan and have a look this afternoon.

Am I right that the 904 holds about 8 1/2 quarts, give or take. This does have a deeper pan so it should hold more.

I poured 2 gallon in and after I got it warmed up so the engine could idle in neutral I was still low. I think I added 2 more quarts? But possibly only 1. It is idleing in nuetral, full now. Using stock dipstick and tube off my original transmission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:02 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Rick Covalt wrote:
There was a little gap between the torque convertor and the flex plate before I pulled it together. Perhaps 1/4"?

This is the same torque convertor I had been running in my car before. Yes I can check the line pressure before I drain the pan and have a look this afternoon.

Am I right that the 904 holds about 8 1/2 quarts, give or take. This does have a deeper pan so it should hold more.

I poured 2 gallon in and after I got it warmed up so the engine could idle in neutral I was still low. I think I added 2 more quarts? But possibly only 1. It is idleing in nuetral, full now. Using stock dipstick and tube off my original transmission.

That 1/4 inch should be good. Did you put in a dropped pick up with the deep pan? Are you useing the cable shifted trans, or a linkage type trans?

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:09 am 

I did not open this transmission up. It was one that Seymour had rebuilt and it was fully assembled, less torque convertor, when I picked it up from Ryan. I slid my convertor into it and bolted it up.

Should I check any other pressures before I drain the pan? Or just line pressure?

Just leaving home now, so I'll check back after lunch. Thanks for the help.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:20 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Might be an obvious question. Does the trans have the large or small splines on the input shaft? If it has the small splines, and the converter has the large splines, it would have line pressure, but the converter will not drive the input shaft.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:57 am 

Not sure Charlie. It did drive the wheels from the start though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:05 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
That trans has the late model input shaft, I don't think an early type torque converter would have slid in. The mid plate thing is a torque converter issue, not the trans. Try taking the wire off the trans brake solenoid, if it went into gear before it still should. If trans brake is activated in first it will hold the car, it is also necessary to energize it to engage reverse. It shouldn't do anything if you try to activate it in second or third. Lou's point about the drive lugs is worth looking at, some have had problems with those lugs shearing off. Can't think of anything else right now but that trans has been stored without fluid in it for many years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:18 am 

Ok, I made sure the kick down lever was clear back, and no change. I installed a gauge in the line pressure port and i have zero pressure in 1st or any gear for that matter. Disconnected the trans brake and still have zero. Added another quart of fluid just to make sure it was not to low. No difference. So is that telling me that something is wrong with the front pump? Transmission needs to come back out?

Thanks, Rick

PS. When I went under the car and took out the fitting for the test hose, there was absolutely no ATF at the opening. Not a single drip? :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:01 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I would think if the Valve body was not seated correctly against the trans housing it would cause the no pressure / no gears issue.

Greg

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1795 posts ]  Go to page Previous 165 66 67 68 69120 Next