Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:53 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I'll take one!

Post subject: Heat shield
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:13 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Phenolic would be nice...good idea! Where can it be purchased?
I would give it a try...it would be easy to scribe and cut out from a aluminum template.

The only reason I mentioned aluminum is that it cheap and plentiful and makes good patterns. I have found it helps to warm up the intake manifold quicker and when my two ten inch electric fans kick on during heat soak it cools quicker by wicking away the heat.

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:04 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Now I look into it, I see (duhh, should've remembered) this stuff is available in all kinds of different thicknesses. As an alternative to the thick insulator idea, a shield very much along the lines of the factory item but without the asbestos hazard could be made of 1/8-inch "Micarta" as it is apparently known (an old Westinghouse trademark).

Sources? Yah, see here and here and here and here and (wow!) here for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:30 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 62 Lancer, 63 D100
The one piece factory heat shield that I removed from my 77 Aspen years ago because it was broken was made of a thin phenolic type material and was covered with a foil type aluminum. My guess is that it was too thin for the amount of vibration/heat?? That was 15 years ago but I think it was about 1/8" thick. On second thought it may not have been as sturdy as phenolic, more like resin impregnated fiberboard. (the type the old pegboard was made of)

66 Barracuda
64 D100
77 Aspen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:36 am 

Car Model:
The non-aluminum ones I've seen have been made out of a pressed-fibre gasket board type of material which if it is bent too far breaks/tears with a ragged-edge appearance like thick construction paper or thin cardboard; it was almost certainly asbestos board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:12 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Well I got the heat shield from Bruce, thank you sir, and will get a good scan with measurements in the next couple days!

Looking at the prices of aluminum and phenolic sheets ontop of what a shop wants for cutting them out, I'm not sure we could get them much cheaper than $40-50/ea. would anyone still be interested at that price or should I stop calling around?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:32 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1977 B100 Van
Wohooo! Sounds likes we're getting somewhere.
Thanks guys. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:46 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Today I got a couple good scans of the heat shield. With some of the measurements here is a full-size image of larger of the 2 pieces. I meticulously traced the scan using photoshop and then added the measurements taken from a digital caliper, the larger measurements will have to wait till I can find my measuring tape (hopefully tomorrow). I'll try to get the smaller piece also completed tomorrow. The Xs denote where the bolts are welded onto the shield. Also for anyone interested the aluminium sheet is 0.043" (roughly 3/64") thick. Please note that the bottom edge is not completely accurate (yet) it was cut off during the scan so I will fix it as soon as I find that measuring tape.

Without further ado here is the large piece of the heat shield!

Post subject: Heat Shield
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:43 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Josh,

What are the overall dimensions? Length and width......so I can compare them to the .pdf I plotted from the picture?

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:55 am 

Car Model:
Great job, Josh. If you're able to add length and width and as many edge dimensions as possible, that will greatly simplify the ability to make new ones.

This big piece is the important one. The small piece is less important especially on cars without underhood catalytic converters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:54 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Ted, as I mentioned I can't find my tape measure... so length/width can't say for sure, but the image is actual size and looking at it in photoshop the length (radiator to firewall) is 12 5/8" and the width is roughly 11 1/4". Again the width is not perfect as a portion of the shield was cut off by the scanner so I will have to measure to make sure but that is pretty dang close (+/- 1/4").

Dan, I will definitely be making updates with as many measurements as I can stand. My goal is to bring this to the point that I can get someone to make a few really nice factory-ish replicas (as long as its cost-effective).

It is interesting to notice that this heat shield looks slightly different than the other pictures I've seen. Can anyone comment on the differences between the heat shields, maybe one style is of a later (possibly more advanced) design?

I'll have to do some mockups but the large circle seems to be right over the stud that comes up thru intake runners #3 and #4. The cutouts for the choke and cable style throttle (and kickdown) linkage are also interesting. But the odd J-shape at the front is puzzling to me, fuel line is my best guess but wouldn't you want the line protected by the shield?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
But the odd J-shape at the front is puzzling to me, fuel line is my best guess but wouldn't you want the line protected by the shield?

Yes, I never put that hole in mine. I use Dan's fuel line mod, not the stock setup which that hole is for.....

Having that area solid definitely keeps the heat away from the fuel bowl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:00 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
This heat shield gives me an idea- instead of a cold air intake that goes to the schnozzle on the air filter housing, how about a cold air intake shroud/box that completely encases the carb and stock air cleaner. The bottom of this box would bolt between the manifold and the carb so the fresh air coming in would completely surround the carb. THe walls and top of the box would shield the carb from heat, and the top could be removable to access the carb and and remove the box. Air filtration could be achieved by means of leaving the stock air cleaner in place or rigging up a flat air filter from a modern vehicle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:11 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
And a nice hood scoop to direct the air into the box. Got a nice one for my 74 hood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:59 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1977 B100 Van
Started to trace the thing today, also made a cardboard template I will test-fit soon.

Still, there's some design variations that needs to be identified before making an "universal" version.
Red: Josh's 2-piece version
Blue: the other 2-piece version.
Green: Jeb's one piece version.

Also, the more source I can get, the more accurate the template will be.
So if anyone has one of the shields at home, scans (even in parts) or photos (with a grid or rulers around) will help making it perfect :)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next