Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 69 Next
 Post subject: Re: Just a short update
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:43 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
ntsqd wrote:
So the $300 question is replace with a new diff case or opt for some sort of LSD?

Is that even a question?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:00 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: '65 Valiant 170 T5
The open diff case is a little over $80, LSD's start at about $380 (clutch type) and my preferred LSD, a Tru-Trac, is ~$425. That is the problem. I'm 5 days into a new job after being laid off nearly 6 months. Working on a used open case option from a local shop that does a lot of diff work. The local stuff-yer-socks JY wants more than new for used. I've yet to be able to break one tire loose, let alone two. Planning for the future is good, but may have to take a back-seat to budgetary concerns.

Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-tite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:47 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
What kind of rear?

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:23 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Matt put a Ford Ranger's 7.5" rear axle in the car. 5x4.5, 3.73's, and is an almost perfect fit (1/2"-1" narrower would be perfect). It is a C-Clip axle, so narrowing it isn't worth the trouble & expense. That also causes a consideration about assembly with any type of LSD - room to work inside the diff itself.

Mild deviation of thread: I see "SBP" and "BBP" used, and I've no idea what is which. To me the 5x4.5" is the small pattern and big is 5x5", but I'm guessing in this world it is the "big" due to the existence of the 5x4" pattern?

EDIT: I quoted the prices above on memory. I'm getting old. So far the best Tru-Trac price that I've found is $468, not ~$425
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-D ... Ford+7.5in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:32 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
BBP is 5X4.5", SBP is 5X4". I have wondered about using a Ford 7.5" myself. Parts should be easy to come by. Amazing they are not cheaper, though. I would likely go to Pick A Part or similar in Sun Valley and buy a whole axle to drop in. Did Matt move the perches or any other mods?

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:00 am 
TBI Slant 6

New perches, but no other mods that I know of. My natural inclination is to move to the 8.8 out of the same trucks since everyone makes stuff for them, but the 7.5 has some merit in that it's lighter and should be more than strong enough for a mild /.

At this point it's purely speculation, but after conferring with a 25 years Ford Tech we think that the brake mounting details of the 7.5 may be the same as the 8.8 Which means that the Exploder RDB's may be a bolt-on....

EDIT: Ordered the open diff case and some Redline gear lube. Already have a bearing kit. Hope the guts of the existing diff aren't too beat up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:33 pm 
TBI Slant 6

The diff case got here and I've had the bearing kit for a while. I finished the bearings & new case install just before Easter Dinner guests started showing up yesterday. Those Ford axles and their crush sleeves! That one left a kink in my back.

Was tempted to replace it with a solid spacer, but since my torches are over at a friend's shop, case hardening such a spacer would be a big delay. In retrospect I probably could have done it. Really gave the axle shafts a good looking over right after finishing the diff install. The driver's is viable, but on short legs. The pass is about to go away. So I ordered wheel bearings, axles, and new bearing/seal assemblies. Oh, and the OTC slide hammer to get the old ones out! Been occasionally needing a slide hammer for decades.

I'm hoping for all of the pieces by the end of the week. I'll be more or less a bachelor next weekend, so that would be a good time to finally button up this chapter in the Valiant's saga.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:46 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Rear axle reassembled and appears to be working fine. Going to take it for an extended drive this afternoon.

A teaser of what I've been messing with here and there:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:47 pm 
TBI Slant 6

well, adding more carrier bearing pre-load, as suggested by two different experienced axle set-up guys, made the noise worse. Tired of this, I'm just going to drive it for a while. If that kills it then I'll go looking for an RDB 8.8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:17 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Are you going to run a GM rotor and cap on the distributor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:37 pm 
TBI Slant 6

That is the actual goal, yes. To go to a cap that uses the "HEI" type of terminal. Otherwise I could have used the OE dist with the mech advance locked out and saved myself a bunch of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:31 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Did you machine a new body or used what core?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:39 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
ntsqd wrote:
That is the actual goal, yes. To go to a cap that uses the "HEI" type of terminal. Otherwise I could have used the OE dist with the mech advance locked out and saved myself a bunch of work.

It would have been a lot easier to change the terminal end on the wire.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:05 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Not sure that I understand. My goal is to eventually have a cap with the spark-plug type of contacts in it. I know that there are conversion 'towers' made, was not and am not interested in those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:58 pm 
TBI Slant 6

In prep for the eventual TBI control system I've converted the IGN to use the GM 8 pin module and the GM E-core coil. Still have the old system in place in case something goes fubar on my drive to or from work. Don't expect it to, but I'll leave them in place for the rest of the week.
I've posted in the past that I'm not a fan of the HEI modules, that hasn't changed. However, I'm not so foolish (I hope) as to try to make something else work with the GM TBI system.
No pics yet as it's all so wonky in the wiring that there's no need to embarrass myself...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 69 Next