Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Planning questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:01 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I'm gathering parts and planning for putting MPFI on my '65 Dart wagon with a 225, and have some questions.

1) What are people using for fuel delivery? The stock pump filling a surge tank in the front, and then a high pressure pump from there? A single high pressure pump in the rear?

It looks like there might be room for something like a Walbro GSL-392 on the rear pass. side frame rail just in front of the parking brake cable bracket. Would I need to weld on a sump to the bottom of the stock tank? I was thinking a wedge-shaped sump maybe a couple of inches deep would work to draw fuel from, and then I could use the stock sender as the fuel return.

2) I'd like to see pictures of the brackets you're using to hold down the fuel rail. How sturdy do they need to be and how do they attach to the intake.

3) I got a good deal on a Megasquirt controller with the MS3X board, so I'd have enough channels to do sequential injection, though I know it won't make much of a difference. But what about individual coils for each plug? Does it have any practical advantage over a wasted-spark system like the Ford EDIS controller uses? Is there a good way to use the existing distributor as a cam position sensor?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Planning questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:19 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I have a Walbro pump (I don't recall the part#, but it was a gsl-39x) strapped to the passenger frame rail. I didn't modify the tank and just feed it from the stock pickup. I put a return line also in the stock pickup. It's far from ideal but it works if you keep the tank full.

The two pump surge tank idea works but is messy and bulky. Sam (Sam Powell on the board) had a tank modified like a modern tank with a surge tank and pump housing built into it. Pictures are on the board somewhere. (Edit: Herethey are.) There are a few shops that d it for you or even make a custom tank from ground up but be prepared for sticker shock.

Fuel rail brackets need to be sturdy as possible. Trust me, you don't want a rail coming loose while driving. Been there, done that, had the heart attack. 43psi fuel leaks are.... not fun. Especially with the exhaust right there.

I run megasquirt + edis with a twist. I run it as coil on plug. I run two modules in parallel, with one module feeding coils 1/3/5, other 2/4/6. You can get away with one module feeding coils in series. One module with coils in parallel may pull to much current.

I imagine you could use the distributor as a cam sensor, you'd just have to lock out all advance from it. This will get you sequential along with a crank wheel. I'm not sure if megasquirt can do sequential with EDIS though, it may need to see the crank sensor directly and fire the coils itself.

One advantage of EDIS though - the simplicity. You don't have to deal with any sensor noise issues as the EDIS module handles all that. Or even simpler yet, HEI/Megasquirt with single coil but then you'd have to keep the distributor and lose computer controlled timing. Seeing no distributor or fuel pump on the side of the motor is kind of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:15 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I'm in the process of doing the research for the same exact scenario, with my 63 Dart 170. I'm hoping that I can convert a mid 90's-00 Jeep 4l cam sensor, to replace my distributor, and set up a GM LS coil on plug scenario for my slant. Like you I have MS3-X so I want to run sequential injection with spark. I want the MS-3 to be able to control timing, and fuel so this is important. I've seen another member on here who has the car Ruster (he is out of PA, but races at Mason Dixon), who has done a similar setup. Perhaps he can chime in, or you can do a search on his car, and see what he did. That is the example I plan to follow, as I want to do some of the same stuff just not a racing application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:27 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I am leaning towards using the high pressure fuel pump off of a late 80s/early 90s Ford Econoline van. It is an external mount that has a fine particle fuel filter integral to the pump and the whole assembly bolts to the frame. It is in a nice small package that looks easily adaptable to any slant powered vehicle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:23 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
I am leaning towards using the high pressure fuel pump off of a late 80s/early 90s Ford Econoline van. It is an external mount that has a fine particle fuel filter integral to the pump and the whole assembly bolts to the frame. It is in a nice small package that looks easily adaptable to any slant powered vehicle.

I did that on my Dart. If I were going to redo the fuel system, I would probably stuff an in-tank Walbro in the stock tank instead - I managed to pull that off on another project, and it looks like there's enough room to get one through the opening on a Dart's sending unit fitting as well.

My fuel rail bolts to welded bosses on the intake manifold.